Suitable new amp for old Guitar

Steel guitar amplifiers, effects, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Andy Schick

Suitable new amp for old Guitar

Post by Andy Schick »

Looking for any recommendations and suggestions for an amp.
I have a 1948 Gibson Console Grande.
Carr or Dr Z. I do have a speaker cab with a 15" JBL. Should I consider a head or the whole amp.?
My steel rig is a Webb.
I would like to get the Don Helms Hank sound with a newer amp which would have alittle more power than the older gibsons or Fender Princeton.
Thanks
Kyle Everson

Post by Kyle Everson »

Don uses a Nashville 112. Still has the sound.
Mike Brown

Nashville 112

Post by Mike Brown »

If you need assistance from the factory, please contact me toll free at 1-877-732-8391, ext.1180.

Thanks,
Mike Brown
Peavey USA
John Billings

Post by John Billings »

I have two Dr. Z's. Great amps, at a great price point. I've never tried them for steel though.
Keith Cordell

Post by Keith Cordell »

Don certainly wasn't using them when his landmark recordings were made. That was all tube.
Andy Schick

Post by Andy Schick »

Did Mr. Helms use a Gibby or a Fender for his signature sound?
Thanks
Terry Huval

Post by Terry Huval »

Don Helms used his Gibson Console Grande D-8 and a 1949 Fender Pro Amp for all his recordings (starting with Ernest Tubb in 1949 and including all his Hank Williams recordings) until the late 1950's when the amp was stolen.
Chris LeDrew

Post by Chris LeDrew »

Andy, I think you should try a '65 Fender Deluxe Reverb Reissue. It is the middle ground between a Princeton and a Super. It is only 22 watts, but has ample clean headroom for lap steel (not so much for pedal steel). It will break-up nicely when you dig in. This seems to be the dynamic on a lot of old lap steel recordings, although I will admit I'm not an authority in this area, only a fan.

If you get a chance to try one, use the # 2 input in either channel; it will give you a cleaner, albeit slightly duller sound.

The best sound I ever had with a lap steel was through a '71 Fender Twin.
Jackson Steel Guitars
Web: www.chrisledrew.com
J Fletcher

Post by J Fletcher »

There's a great interview with Don Helms in Andy Volk's book, in which he says his very first Hank recordings were done with a Fender steel. Shortly after that, he traded it to some gent for the Gibson. Seems that the gent wanted to get the sound that Don was getting, so he swapped guitars...Jerry
Tim Whitlock

Post by Tim Whitlock »

If money is not an issue, I would consider a Class A tweed Fender, such as the reissue '57 Deluxe or the reissue low power Twin.

http://www.fender.com/products/search.p ... 8150500000

http://www.fender.com/products//search. ... 8140500000
Dan Tyack

Post by Dan Tyack »

I'd recommend an amp like the 50's Fender Pro mentioned earlier, which is a 40-50 watt tube amp with a Jenson 15". I've got a late 50s Pro and it's a killer vintage sound.

There are some amp makers who do 'clones' of these amps, they're great for that sound.
www.tyack.com
Capetown girls sing this wrong: "da doo, da doo"
John Billings

Post by John Billings »

Dan, I have a 52 Pro and a 56. They're only rated at between 18 and 25 watts.
They sound great though, with the definite edge going to the 56.
Keith Cordell

Post by Keith Cordell »

Victoria amps makes a great clone of a Pro that sounds great, is very well made and is very true to the original- it's also around 3k.
Paul Arntson

Post by Paul Arntson »

Last edited by Paul Arntson on 15 Sep 2008 5:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cartwright Thompson

Post by Cartwright Thompson »

Check out a Carr Rambler.
Mike Christensen

what amp????

Post by Mike Christensen »

Do you really hear a difference in Don's present sound versus his old sound that really is not caused by older recording methods? I say go watch him play sometime on a NV112,you will definately hear what you are looking for on an amp that is easy and cheap to get and will likely not ever cause you any grief,probably why he and so many others use them.IMHO!!! Happy Trails
Keith Cordell

Post by Keith Cordell »

There's an enormous difference. With few exceptions (Webb, Standel) the tone of a solid state amp is almost incomparable. Shrill highs, sterile tone and lack of complex harmonics...
Mark Giovanetti

Post by Mark Giovanetti »

If you want to get Fender Tweed Pro sound without having to take out a second mortgage, you might consider a Victoria 35115. The quality of a Victoria is second to none. The sound is absolutely faithful to the original. And Victoria amps are truely an investment just like the original Fenders. A patient buyer can find them used on Ebay for around $1500. A small price to pay for a amp of this quality (craftsmanship and tone). I play a Gibson console through one. I'm not much of a player, but the tone is beautiful.