Dale Watson

Musical topics not directly related to steel guitar

Moderators: Dave Mudgett, Janice Brooks

Pete Finney

Post by Pete Finney »

I was just wondering how you got to be such an expert on the subject of music.

When musicians and singers spend their lives honing their craft, and are lightly dismissed as if their life has no meaning, I figure it's fair to look into the source of the opinion.
Wow... I'd sure like to think you're kidding here. There's no shortage of examples on the forum of people making sweeping general statements of taste or opinion as if they were undeniable truths; sometimes that kind of thing implies that the writer thinks they're an expert. But in this case Theresa simply said "I'm saying I didn't care for Dales voice"; one person clearly expressing no more than her own taste and opinion, it couldn't be much clearer than that. She certainly doesn't "dismiss" someone as if "their life had no meaning" as you put it, if fact in my opinion she didn't show Dale any disrespect at all. I've known Dale for 20+ years and he of all people doesn't expect everyone to love his music.

On the other hand I can think a recent example of a sweeping statement of "expert" opinion that I personally think DOES "lightly dismiss" hundreds of "musicians and singers" who spent their lives "honing their crafts":
Great music is being produced every day, just not in Nashville.
Any guesses as to who wrote that?
Dave Mudgett

Post by Dave Mudgett »

I don't think anybody here needs "credentials" to express an honest opinion. Not that she needs our permission, but Theresa should like what she likes and say that as she pleases. She was not dismissive at all.

I remember that thread, Pete - you're right. But a lot of people make sweeping overgeneralizations in the heat of the moment from time to time. I try not to, but somehow got carried away and did it in a post earlier today. Recall that Andy did retract that statement under scrutiny, as I expect you remember.

I, personally, have a hard time understanding why anybody who claims to like country music doesn't like Dale, but it doesn't really matter what I think about it. De gustibus non disputandum and all that. Someone else likes Idol and I like Dale. That's OK by me.

This really does seem to be a day for it, doesn't it? My excuse is that I'm sick of all this snow, and I think cabin fever is getting the best of me. Good thing I have a gig tonight. :)

All opinions, of course.
Theresa Galbraith

Post by Theresa Galbraith »

Thanks guys for coming to my defense, you really didn't have to. :)
Andy,
I don't sing,write or play I've stated that before.
However, I think I have an ear for music and I have my opinion just like you.
Barry Blackwood

Post by Barry Blackwood »

Theresa, you also have excellent taste in guitar players .... :)
Theresa Galbraith

Barry we agree on my taste in guitar players. :)

I just want to add, this was under Music and I gave my opinion on the artist. I'm not right, or wrong in that.
I certainly didn't mean to disrespect anyone.

This forum is about fact and opinion on all topics.

Thanks again, Theresa
Bowie Martin

Post by Bowie Martin »

If we had one more Dale Watson, the future of country music would have doubled! If we had 25 or 50 like him, anybody that could buy a steel guitar would be working and I would be listening to the radio again... just think 50 more songwriters/singers in his statue.. what a change that would make..
Emmons LeGrande II D-10, Emmons LeGrande III D-10, Emmons LeGrande III S10, Boss Katana 100, Boss Katana 50, Nashville 112
Peavey PX's Speakers, with Profex II, Nashville 1000,
Gary Boyett

Post by Gary Boyett »

Theresa Galbraith wrote:Barry we agree on my taste in guitar players. :)

hmm, what do they taste like?

probably chicken...

Just a thought here, I didn't like Dale either until I finally picked up a CD.

and Theresa you have the right to say what you believe. As a matter of fact, I still can't stand Earnest Tubb's voice- :whoa:
Eric West

Post by Eric West »

Uh Oh...

;)

EJL
Kevin Hatton

Post by Kevin Hatton »

Like Theresa, Dale's is not my favorite voice either, but I highly respect him for being the real deal in country music. I buy his CD's. It interesting, I gravitate towards buying people's CD's who I think are deep in their genre, even if I find some part of their music lacking. I think Dale is a great country singer/songwriter. I like listening to him and I support him.
James Cann

Post by James Cann »

Enough with the voice, already! What happened to his hair?
Craig Stock

Post by Craig Stock »

I think Dale is experimenting with a two-tone paint job. ;-)

I saw a re-run on Sunday of Dale on MTV-2 during the 24 hr. Jacka$$ marathon with Johnny Knoxville.

He did a great job of 'Hollywood Hillbilly' and I'm sure was viewed by many many people.
Regards, Craig

I cried because I had no shoes, then I met a man who had no feet.

Today is tomorrow's Good ol' days
Theresa Galbraith

I just don't get him! :)
Michael Johnstone

Post by Michael Johnstone »

I played steel with Dale in the late 80s - early 90s when he was based out of Southern California and toured with him a bit as well. Dale is who he is. He's a singer/songwriter/guitarist/band leader and the son of a singer/songwriter/guitarist/band leader and his roots run deep - real deep. His approach to music is totally devoid of affectation and he doesn't follow trends. He's completely self contained,creates his own environment,operates within it and has been relatively succesful at it. The price he pays for that is that he is almost completely off the mainstream radar screen. You don't have to like his voice to admire his tenacity and talent. I watched him crank out good song after good song and was always amazed at his talent.I enjoyed my tenure in his band,found it challenging and satisfying and he'll always be a friend of mine.
Theresa Galbraith

I appreciate your thoughts Michael.
Steve Alcott

Post by Steve Alcott »

"His approach to music is totally devoid of affectation and he doesn't follow trends."

Amen to that.
Theresa Galbraith

I love the fact he's country, he uses steel I just don't care for his vocals.

I never cared for Johnny Cash's vocals either. He hit big regardless of my views. :)
Chris LeDrew

Post by Chris LeDrew »

Bowie Martin wrote:If we had one more Dale Watson, the future of country music would have doubled! If we had 25 or 50 like him, anybody that could buy a steel guitar would be working and I would be listening to the radio again... just think 50 more songwriters/singers in his statue.. what a change that would make..
Bowie, they're out there in spades....unfortunately they're just as obscure as Dale. Mainstream country radio will just not play old-time country anymore. Those days are gone, never to return. Without the exposure, nobody will ever know them on a big scale. Same with rock radio....you will never hear from Tom Petty or his 10,000 clones ever again on mainstream radio. Classic rock and classic country are known as "classic" for a reason, just like a classic car. It may be popular to some, but it's out-moded. Pity how times change.....in this case, not for the good.
Jackson Steel Guitars
Web: www.chrisledrew.com
Craig Stock

Post by Craig Stock »

Dale is a real good guitar player as well, as is his steeler Don Pawlak. They play well together. I was nervous after Ricky Davis left, but Don has filled in and is now an integral part of Dale's well oiled machine.

This Thursday in New York, my other favorite 'Country' artist is playing at the RODEO BAR. Wayne 'The Train' Hancock, I think, fits into the same categorization that Michael J. so nicely described Dale's situation as.

I am looking forward to seeing him again
Regards, Craig

I cried because I had no shoes, then I met a man who had no feet.

Today is tomorrow's Good ol' days
Frankie Winberry

Post by Frankie Winberry »

I like Dale Watson. I think he deserves more than he gets credit for. Did you all know he has a movie out as well about the life of a tradition country singer. I have not seen it yet but it sounds right up my alley.
BMI S-10