Steelin' for Hearts Jam 2002!

Upcoming steel guitar shows, concerts, jam sessions, club dates, etc.

Moderator: Dave Mudgett

Jim Cohen

Steelin' for Hearts Jam 2002!

Post by Jim Cohen »

I'm seein' little snippets of commentary about this year's SFH show appear in other threads, so I thought I'd start this one to collect them all in one place.

I'll start by saying I loved the whole show and loved playing at the Birchmere. What a great venue that is. Somehow, I had gotten the impression that it was more of a "concert hall" but not so. It's a large, attractive room, with cafe tables and chairs and a great stage and soundsystem. It has hosted many first-class performers over the years including Waylon Jennnings, Mary Chapin-Carpenter, BR-549, Willie Nelson, and many others. I think it's a super place for a steel show.

Gantt and the band were again excellent and how wonderful to have Ben Brogdon recruited for the bass chair! And Bobby (lastname?) on fiddle was an awesome addition.

Another thing I like about this show is that it's different from many other shows around the country: the opening sets from Last Train Home (with Forumite DVA) and The Hula Monsters (with Dave Giegerich), both outstanding, if a bit "quirky", applications of steel and resonator (and I mean that in the nicest way, Daves!) proved that. Plus having Bill Kirchen there (with Dean Black doing an awesome job of sitting in) also made for a very special event. Plus, when's the last time any of us got to hear Mike Auldridge?? And of course, it's the only regional show where you can hear Buddy Charleton at all, so that too is special.

My hat's off to Dean, Glenn Martin, Paul Vendemmia, John and Mike on sound (great job!) and all the others who worked so hard to pull off another great show. I'm proud to be a part of it.

------------------
The "Master of Acceptable Tone"
www.jimcohen.com

<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Jim Cohen on 22 April 2002 at 09:15 PM.]</p></FONT>
Van Ertel

Post by Van Ertel »

My wife and I both thought the Birchmere was a better venue than Latella's. BRAVO to Dean for his terrific playing with Bill Kirchin's power trio. Also Dean's contribution to 'I LOVE YOU BECAUSE' along side of T.W. was as pretty as anything I heard all day.

------------------
Van Ertel
Fessenden U12/Williams U12
Gary Lee Gimble

Post by Gary Lee Gimble »

The Birchemer: An intimate atmosphere with that family room feeling. The fiddle players last name is Spates. Bobby and I grew up together and we played bluegrass for many years.
Gary Lee
BobG

Post by BobG »

I'm sure the Birchmere was a fine venue.
I'm still of the opinion that if the location
was more "strategically" placed (a little further North say somewhere near Baltimore) that more people from the New York tristate area would attend.
A "four hour plus" drive was a little out of my range.
Anyway,i'm glad it was a good show. I'm sorry I missed DVA and his band and I really wanted to get to hear Tommy White play.
<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by BobG on 23 April 2002 at 06:07 AM.]</p></FONT><FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by BobG on 23 April 2002 at 09:02 AM.]</p></FONT>
Joseph V. Sapp

Post by Joseph V. Sapp »

Dont know where to start.!!! let's see,,,how do I like my crow ?....Yep,,,I'll be the first to admit, I was gunshy as all heck about the change to the Birchmere. But Jim,,,I like you thought it was like a Concert Hall. WRONG. it sure was a super place. Hats off to the entire staff for a great job. And the players,,,what else can you say, each of them were 100% at their best. Jim,,,Where was the Fessy?... Dave, If I could play half as good wide awake as you can tired,,,I'd be more than happy. I guess the player that surprised me the most was Hal Rugg. His touch, and tone were fantastic, (and thats down-playing it). and even got to rub elbows with Tommy White. Why dont my Derby Sound like his ?....(just kidding)...if you missed this show,,,you missed one of the best. God Bless each and every one of you that made it all possible.

Joseph

Derby SD-10 4X5 Fender twin
Nashville 400 Profex ll
Lexicon MPX 100 DR-5
Jim Cohen

Post by Jim Cohen »

<SMALL>Jim,,,Where was the Fessy?...</SMALL>
Joseph, it was that thing sittin' right in front of me all during my set! I know it looked like I was driving an unmarked car, but that's cuz the front apron of my steel is blonde and the Fessenden logo is white and doesn't show up from a distance. I keep tellin' Jerry to make some black logo stickers for blonde guitars so that people can read the brand from the audience.

It was nice to finally meet you, Joseph! It takes a big man to eat crow too.

Best to ya,
Jimbeaux

------------------
www.jimcohen.com

RickRichtmyer

Post by RickRichtmyer »

Here are some pictures from the show. My apologies to Dave Van Allen. Either he moved or I did when I took his picture. Image

BTW Jimbeaux, your tone sounds better everytime I hear you. You may have to change your moniker. Image

Click Here for the pictures.

------------------
Rick Richtmyer
Good News<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by RickRichtmyer on 23 April 2002 at 06:28 AM.]</p></FONT>
Dave Van Allen

Post by Dave Van Allen »

"master of slightly better than acceptable tone"?

Joseph... I am sincerely glad that you enjoyed the show at hte new venue. Image

Ric Nelson

Post by Ric Nelson »

What a time we all had!!! And it was mighty nice of those who came some distance.

Yep, all that was mentioned before plus Hal Rugg on a Franklin pedalbro with Mike Auldridge and Jim Heffernan-wow. I can't wait until their CD comes out in June. I think they've really got something here. Three resophonics playing together at once. That's got to be a total nightmare arrangement. Thank god for charts. Too bad Shot wasn't around to hear that.

And the Energizer Bunny, coming out on the stage and giving Hal a little peck on the cheek. Gosh, I wonder if Leonard knows anything about that? Image

But for me, the biggest surprise of all Image was when Bob Spates Image , a super great fiddler, who is totally in control of the instrument, did an unplanned vocal on Herby Wallace's portion. I must admit, I've played a bunch of gigs with Bob, but never heard him sing before. I think Herby was surprised too. I'm gonna whisper in the band leader's ear next time Bob is with us Image.

A truly nice time.

The line-up:

Dave Van Allan (& Last Train Home)
Dave Giegerich (&The Hula Monsters)
Jim Cohen
Leonard T. Zinn
Bill Kirchen (& Too Much Fun)
Auldridge/Heffernan/Rugg
Tommy White
Herby Wallace
Hal Rugg
Buddy Charleton
and Dean Black slipped in and out.

<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Ric Nelson on 23 April 2002 at 11:49 AM.]</p></FONT>
Jim Cohen

Post by Jim Cohen »

I guess I musta just slipped out... Ric, was my set "so forgettable"? Image
Ric Nelson

Post by Ric Nelson »

Opps. Sorry Jim. You were sure not forgettable. In fact, little do you know that you brought most of the green room to the doorway when you were on.

Please excuse my slip on the thread. It's tough getting old. If I can't hit the keyboard right, I wonder how long it will be before I can't hit the neck either? Image
Dave Van Allen

Post by Dave Van Allen »

I forgot about Bob Spates singing... "Chet Baker sings Bob Wills" came to my mind... Image
Herby Wallace

Post by Herby Wallace »

I just wanted to add a few comments about the show. I have known Dean Black for several years and of course Dean is an excellent musician himself, so you can always depend on the show being great. I also think the move to the Birchmere was a step forward. The sound was one of the best I have heard at any steel guitar show. The sound system and acoustics were such that every note could be heard. Of course, this can be a problem in that I had a few notes that I wish weren't heard, but that's the way it goes. I always have to insert a little humor! The lineup of players was strictly first class, no amateurs or weak links, all pros. The backup band was also great, again no weak links. The drummer I don't think was mentioned but he also did an outstanding job. One of the best I have run into in a while. I honestly cannot say one negative thing about this great show, but knowing Dean like I do, I new it would be great.

Herby Wallace

------------------
Jo Ann Joyce

Post by Jo Ann Joyce »

For those who don't know the history of the "Steelin for Hearts" -- it is in memory of a local Maryland amateur player, Sonny Hunley. Sonny had a heart transplant and lived six years with his new heart and passed away. It began with all local players with the one major exception of Mr. Buddy Charleton who has so graciously supported the Steel Jam at Dean's request, without hesitance EVERY year. The local players and amateurs have gotten the show to the place it is now and without our constant attendance and performances, it would not have evolved to it's current status to where bringing in players who are of a more professional status would not have been possible. This year there was little time for the players who usually have performed, and that is a fact that Dean has assured everyone that he is searching for a solution to attempt to please everyone, something that is difficult if not impossible to accomplish. At this time, several Maryland steel guitarists are putting together another event hopefully to take place in June of this year - and we hope to have as many players as can be accommodated. There will be a back-up band available.
Yours,
Jo Ann
Jay Jessup

Post by Jay Jessup »

I would like to echo everyone else's comments about the show. The venue was perfect--most anything you could want to drink and pretty good food and great sound and visibility from most anypoint in the room. Those that needed to smoke could go out in the bar area and there was a big screen of the show out there for them to watch. I also would like to add that Dean (and Paul V and CO also) did a great job of keeping the show on track while seemingly wandering around the room visiting with friends as there was very little dead time during set exchanges and even though the show started a little late the jam was finished by 10PM. Hiring Ben Brogden and that drummer was the icing on the cake for making this an excellent event, I have heard quite a few of the top players comment on the how the quality of the backup players has a huge effect on not only the songs they select to play but how well they can play them, these guys were able to handle it all.
Finally if anyone from the Richmond VA contingent see's my post here---I spoke briefly with my old friend (and teacher) Teddy Lloyd while at the show but neglected to get a phone or e-mail address for him, if someone could forward that to me off the forum I would greatly appreciate it. <FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Jay Jessup on 24 April 2002 at 09:08 AM.]</p></FONT>
John Borchard

Post by John Borchard »

Wow! I can't rave enough about the show. I was in Washington at a 4-day conference for work and just happened to see the show mentioned in the Washington Post as a "featured" event of the weekend. I left the conference a little early to catch the show which meant I missed the early performers (Sorry, Jim, I would have liked to hear you play). I got there in time to hear Mike Auldridge, Jim Heffernan, and Hal Rugg's set. I, too, will be purchasing their CD when it comes out. After that, Hal did a set of his own that was top-notch. Then Tommy White came out and completely blew my mind. In a show filled with fabulous tone-Meisters, he was the king. Herby Wallace followed with a wonderful set. Buddy Charleton was next and confirmed his status as a living legend. Incredible! And if that wasn't enough, Hal, Herbie, Tommy, Buddy, and Dean jammed their butts off for the show's finale. By the end of the show, I was ready to have my limbs surgically removed and take up selling pencils on the street corner.

Additionally, The Birchmere was a PHENOMENAL venue! Absolutely first class with a great sound system and guys who know how to run it. The sound was impeccable! And last but not least, the backup band was great. I'm definitely going next year.

John Borchard
Jim Cohen

Post by Jim Cohen »

Hi Jo Ann:
It was great to see you again at SFH this year. I look forward to hearing you play on a future show. Meanwhile, I want to send you my best wishes for your upcoming surgery and may the future look bright!
All the best,
Jim

------------------
www.jimcohen.com

Jo Ann Joyce

Post by Jo Ann Joyce »

Thanks Jim! The drummer's name is Robbie Lee and he's from the Northern VA area. He has played with many local bands for years, to include having been a past member of The Southern Winds Band, the New West Band which included (now deceased) steel guitarist Mark Bright; and a current member of The Boys & Me. I personally have played with him on a sit in basis, and he is rock steady and gets your attention! No "Asleep At The Steel" with Robbie at the wheel. :-0