Looking for something similar to an SP2 bar

Lap steels, resonators, multi-neck consoles and acoustic steel guitars

Moderator: Brad Bechtel

James Mayer
Location: back in Portland Oregon, USA (via Arkansas and London, UK)

Looking for something similar to an SP2 bar

Post by James Mayer »

I mainly play with a Shubb-Pierce SP2 and am looking for something similar but with a different sound. I have a Boyett lead-filled glass bar that sounds great but is not as easy to handle. I'm looking for something with a grip. I just checked the Tribotone site and was disappointed to find that there are still no alternatives to the bullet bar on it.

Is there anything new out there?
Mark Mansueto

Post by Mark Mansueto »

I've been using the Dunlop 925 lately but I don't like the grip much so I ordered a Shubb GS which is the one with the wooden handle. I assume it will sound a little different since it has less metal but I won't know until I try it. I'm sure others use a GS but if no one else responds before then I'll report back after it arrives.
Steinar Gregertsen

Post by Steinar Gregertsen »

Gary Swallows, who invented the Shubb GS bar, will make one with a rounded 'nose', like the SP2, on request. The SP2 was my main bar until I 'converted' to bullet bars and the TriboTone, but I also have a Shubb GS in my collection and quite liked the feel of the wood handle.

Steinar
"Play to express, not to impress"
Website - YouTube
Bill Hampton

Post by Bill Hampton »

My main complaint with the GS bar was the sharp nose -- guess I'll have to contact Gary. I liked the feel of the wood grip.

I work in an industrial ceramic manufacturing facility and have been planning to make a bar (same general shape as an SP2)out of zirconia. I'll let you know how it turns out if I ever get around to it.
Stephan Miller

Post by Stephan Miller »

I have a "store-bought" GS (without the rounded nose) and the wood grip feels great, but I think the SP-2 has it beat tonally (possibly because the GS is the lighter of the two). I only use bullet bars now, and in my "collection" are a bunch of the more grip-friendly ones-- Tribotone, Boyett, Red Rajah, Black Phoenix.

If you don't have hand issues or disabilities, I think it would be worth your while to practice with a bullet bar until a comfort level sets in. If these bars become a viable option for you, your tonal range could expand quite a bit.
Edward Meisse

Post by Edward Meisse »

The GS bar is way too light for me. I find it to be tonally repugnant. And I have found bullet bars to be by far the most effective instrument for everything except pull-offs. And for that you'd want a bar with a square edge. The compromise bars tend to give you the least of both worlds imho.
Amor vincit omnia
Mark Mansueto

Post by Mark Mansueto »

Well, I recieved my Shubb GS a couple days ago and I think it's great. I rounded and polished one end and reshaped the wooden handle to fit my hand better. THe nice thing about the GS is that the steel part is made of hardened stainless which means you can tweak the shape like I did. Can't do that with a plated bar.

The handle worked well right out of the box but I'm really picky about the feel of my bars.

It took a little getting used to the lighter weight but once I adjusted my pressure it's fine. I A-B'd it with my Dunlop 925 as well as a custom made sculptured bar and the tones are very close. The only real difference that's noticable is that the chrome 925 bar has a bit less drag on the strings (feels slicker) but is also the hardest to hold onto.

I think that anyone who has trouble holding on to a bar should at least try the Shubb GS. For people with arthritis ETC, not only is it easy to hold but is not cold like a steel bar.
Eric Barker

Post by Eric Barker »

Mark,

I have a GS that I'd like to round also. Could you post a picture of yours? I don't have a round nose bar to use as a model and would like to see what you did.

Thanks
AJ Azure

Post by AJ Azure »

Mark Mansueto wrote:Well, I recieved my Shubb GS a couple days ago and I think it's great. I rounded and polished one end and reshaped the wooden handle to fit my hand better. THe nice thing about the GS is that the steel part is made of hardened stainless which means you can tweak the shape like I did. Can't do that with a plated bar.

The handle worked well right out of the box but I'm really picky about the feel of my bars.

It took a little getting used to the lighter weight but once I adjusted my pressure it's fine. I A-B'd it with my Dunlop 925 as well as a custom made Isculptured bar and the tones are very close. The only real difference that's noticable is that the chrome 925 bar has a bit less drag on the strings (feels slicker) but is also the hardest to hold onto.

I think that anyone who has trouble holding on to a bar should at least try the Shubb GS. For people with arthritis ETC, not only is it easy to hold but is not cold like a steel bar.
f you want a rounded end with a custom hand fit then contact the maker he does custom jobs.
Mark Mansueto

Post by Mark Mansueto »

Eric Barker wrote:Mark,

I have a GS that I'd like to round also. Could you post a picture of yours? I don't have a round nose bar to use as a model and would like to see what you did.

Thanks
Eric, as you can see I rounded mine but not like a bullet bar, only enough to glide across the strings without getting snagged. The end is rounded the same amount as my custom bar that I've been using for 25 years.

The top of the handle is now lower and my finger sits flatter on top, and the side contours are cut deeper.

Eric Barker

Post by Eric Barker »

Mark,

Thanks, for the pictures. I think that would work great for me. I'll give it a try.

Eric
Dave Sky

Post by Dave Sky »

Mark wrote:

Eric, as you can see I rounded mine but not like a bullet bar, only enough to glide across the strings without getting snagged.

Hi Mark,

What did you use to round off the bar?

Thanks,
Dave
Mark Mansueto

Post by Mark Mansueto »

Dave Sky wrote:Hi Mark,

What did you use to round off the bar?

Thanks,
Dave
I used a bench grinder to rough in the shape and then 150 grit emery paper to smooth it out, then 1000 grit wet/dry to get it really smooth and finally red crokus cloth to polish it. I wouldn't have jumped from 150 to 1000 but it's all I had laying around.

Don't try to use a file because the stainless is too hard.
Dave Sky

Post by Dave Sky »

Thanks Mark!
Yes, I was going to use a file!

Since I don't have a bench grinder, maybe a custom order is the way to go.