Steel Guitar Dying Out

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Warren Cohran

Steel Guitar Dying Out

Post by Warren Cohran »

Idont play steel gutar but i noticed at the conventions most all the steel players are on up in age . (and I am too) My question is the steel so hard and takes so long that your old before you can can perform at these conventions or is the steel just dying out and young peope has no interest . now dont anyone get upset about me calling them old because I am old and old is not bad. LOL
James Morehead

Post by James Morehead »

If it makes you feel better, I have a couple of students that are in their mid twenties. 8)
Tommy Alexander

Post by Tommy Alexander »

Warren,
I don't think that it is the old folks; I am one!!!
What is happening in the Houston area is, there are several big clubs around to play at, but for every club, there are several bands with a steel player, and right now most of them are working every weekend.
The smaller clubs usually use a three or four piece band; drummer, bass, piano or lead guitar and vocals and that's about it.
Dallas, Fort Worth and Austin has some of the best Steel players around; come to the Dallas Convention and you can see them, if you haven't been yet.
Maybe some of the pro players would like to comment on this.
Jerry Lee Newberry

Post by Jerry Lee Newberry »

Warren, I know there's not too many young ones, but I know of 2 at least in there teens. Austin Stewart from KS ( grandson ) plays at most of the shows and Johnathan Candler from AZ is at a few. Austin played his first show at age 6 and is now 13. Jonathan is now 16 I believe. Tyler Hall from AL is in his low 20's I think. He has been at the Branson show and also another one in MO. He is a wonderful player. I'm sure that there's a few more in there teens I don't know about. I know I look at Austin and think that all of his friends are a LOT older than he is, but he loves them all and they have ALL been a wonderful inspiration too him. They have all gotten to watch him grow up. He plays with several different groups and is just starting to play with a group of young guys and is having a ball. I know it does look kind of bleak when you go to a show and look at the crowd and don't see many young people, but I have faith that there out there and will keep the steel and country music alive.

Donna
Terry Wood

Post by Terry Wood »

Hi Warren,

There are some younger steel players out there that are coming on.

I got Tyler Hall up here to Marshfield, MO two years ago at age 18 he sounded like he'd been playing for 30 years. He got a job in Branson and is on his way now.

I think there needs to be more younger players at the steel shows. That is one of the main reasons I started the Annual Marshfield Steel Guitar Show in 2006. We feature alot of great players young and older artists who never get the chance to perform at the big steel shows. One person who is a fabulous player who comes every year to our show is Jerry Roller. Jerry is a great talent and a super nice person.

In order for steel to grow and continue we are going to have to do this type shows. Then the younger players can showcase their talents and go on from there.

Speedy West, Zane Beck were two people who always tried to help the novice/beginners, I know because I was one of those they helped. There were others who were also helped by these two men if they'd admit it.

I hope that we can continue at Marshfield, to promote steel guitar and all the players who never get a chance to perform elsewhere.

Another thing that I believe is hurting steel guitar is the cost. I realize it cost alot for materials and labor these days, but I believe that steel guitars are overly priced. An example is a $1500 to $2000 pedal steel a few years ago, today may cost an individual anywheres from $3000 to $6000. Is that reasonable? That is one of the reasons that steel is not quickly picked up by many.

Another thing simply put, the steel guitar is not the easiest instrument to play. To help resolve this, I think that I am on the right track in how I'm teaching steel. The past 5-6 months I've gotten back into teaching steel again and plan to continue to do so. I teach so as to help the players learn in a few weeks, what it took me about 30 years to learn to play. What has helped me as a teacher is that I teach small children of all ages and with various learning abilities. Because of this, I can teach steel guitar and adapt to their individual learning abilities. In closing, teaching materials for steel doesn't have to be complicated and nor costly.

Hope this helps shed alittle light.

God bless!

Terry Wood
W. J. Copeland

Post by W. J. Copeland »

I fear there are several factors for the decline of the steel guitar and even more so, the need of bands. First, clubs can get by cheaper with DJ's and I think Karoke has been a factor. But, the major contributor, has been the stringent laws enforced on driving while under the influence of alcohol. This single factor has been the major decline of the club scene. The penalities for getting caught, while legally intoxicated, well out way the pleasure factor of going out and having a good time. Also, when you throw in the economic factor of high priced gasoline, lodging, rising food costs, and the fear of our present economy, entertainment is taking a back seat to the uncertain. Well, now that I have depressed myself, I will state these are my opinions and mine only. One other thing and I will close. Today's questionable country music does not quite fit in with the need of a steel guitar. Thanks.
Brett Day

Post by Brett Day »

I'm twenty-six and I love to play shows. I started playin' steel when I was eighteen.

Brett
Stephen Gambrell

Post by Stephen Gambrell »

Kinda funny, when you read this thread, and then read the one about new people at St. Louis...
Warren Cohran

Post by Warren Cohran »

Terry Wood wrote:Hi Warren,

There are some younger steel players out there that are coming on.

I got Tyler Hall up here to Marshfield, MO two years ago at age 18 he sounded like he'd been playing for 30 years. He got a job in Branson and is on his way now.

I think there needs to be more younger players at the steel shows. That is one of the main reasons I started the Annual Marshfield Steel Guitar Show in 2006. We feature alot of great players young and older artists who never get the chance to perform at the big steel shows. One person who is a fabulous player who comes every year to our show is Jerry Roller. Jerry is a great talent and a super nice person.

In order for steel to grow and continue we are going to have to do this type shows. Then the younger players can showcase their talents and go on from there.

Speedy West, Zane Beck were two people who always tried to help the novice/beginners, I know because I was one of those they helped. There were others who were also helped by these two men if they'd admit it.

I hope that we can continue at Marshfield, to promote steel guitar and all the players who never get a chance to perform elsewhere.

Another thing that I believe is hurting steel guitar is the cost. I realize it cost alot for materials and labor these days, but I believe that steel guitars are overly priced. An example is a $1500 to $2000 pedal steel a few years ago, today may cost an individual anywheres from $3000 to $6000. Is that reasonable? That is one of the reasons that steel is not quickly picked up by many.

Another thing simply put, the steel guitar is not the easiest instrument to play. To help resolve this, I think that I am on the right track in how I'm teaching steel. The past 5-6 months I've gotten back into teaching steel again and plan to continue to do so. I teach so as to help the players learn in a few weeks, what it took me about 30 years to learn to play. What has helped me as a teacher is that I teach small children of all ages and with various learning abilities. Because of this, I can teach steel guitar and adapt to their individual learning abilities. In closing, teaching materials for steel doesn't have to be complicated and nor costly.

Hope this helps shed alittle light.

God bless!

Terry Wood
Terry you have some very good points you make . warren
Danny Hullihen

Post by Danny Hullihen »

W.J. you have someone else here that shares in your opinion, which is actually more than just an opinion, it's a matter of fact, and you are quite correct.
Jack Ritter

Post by Jack Ritter »

there used to be several places to play our kind of good 2 steppin', boot scootin' music that you could dance to. now there are only possibly 2 places here in Enid where country bands can still play and may soon be only one---the moose lodge. I am only 73, I ain't old, but i have witnessed a big change in the kinds of music that Nashville is putting out that the young kids are hearing and there sure ain't any steels or fiddles.i have had people ask me why there are no young people at the dances anymore, and i just tell them that they don't know how to 2 step or waltz. they just go to these concerts and stand there lighting lites and Lighters and doing a lot of screaming and hollering. they sure couldn't dance to the music they are hearing, even if they knew how to 2-step.
usually no steels or fiddles at any of these. naturally, they are not familiar with what a steel guitar is or much less sounds like. if there is a steel,,, they usually have it turned down so low you never hear it. so, this is just my opinion of why there are not many young kids interested in steel guitar.
Dennis Lobdell

Post by Dennis Lobdell »

Check out Chris Castle's post over in extended family . So refreshing and encouraging. Dennis
John Fabian

Post by John Fabian »

You couldn't prove it by our experience. We see real growth in the new steel player area. I think that many of these new players are not interested in hanging around a hotel all weekend listening to "the classics". That would explain why you don't see them at the typical steel shows.
Danny Hullihen

Post by Danny Hullihen »

Good point John, and here again, that's also very true. I've been hearing a lot about that for the past couple of years now.
Doug Beaumier

Post by Doug Beaumier »

...many of these new players are not interested in hanging around a hotel all weekend listening to "the classics". That would explain why you don't see them at the typical steel shows.
That's true, John. There are a lot of new players out there playing alt. country, rock, and original music.

I heard this "steel is dying" lament in the 1970s, 1980s, 1990s, and now in 2008. As far as I can tell, steel guitar has remained consistent throughout the years. Is has been, and will always be, a very small niche' of the music world. It's hard to lament about "dying steel guitar" when it was never very popular or well known to begin with. What has died off considerably is the live music scene, in general, because of the reasons stated in the posts above. When I was learning to play steel in the 1970s, every city and every town had many clubs with live music. Musicians could play as much as they wanted to... locally. We played 6 nights a week for years. That scene is gone now, and most bands are lucky to play 4 or 5 times a month, and they have to travel more. It's the live music that died, not the steel guitar, IMHO.
Jerry Roller

Post by Jerry Roller »

Terry, I appreciate the nice things you said about me. I am very happy you asked me to play your show and I appreciate your giving me a time slot that allows me to get back to play my Little O' Opry show. J. Fabian, I think you hit the nail on the head, a lot of players including myself who have gigs to play are too "antsy" to play to attend steel shows as a spectator. When I leave to attend a steel show very far from home I miss playing a show on Friday night, another on Saturday night and a Gospel concert on Sunday night and I enjoy playing too much to give up about 7 hours of playing in order to sit and listen to others play. That is not to say that I don't enjoy playing steel shows. I love the comradry and I love hearing others play but if I am not involved I just have a hard time sitting and listening. I am one of the old guys referred to above but I am sure the younger players who have gigs to play feel the same. I also teach and have worked with several of the young up and coming players and at present my youngest student is 10 years old and he came to me aware of Tom Morrell as one of his heroes that made him want to learn steel guitar and he lives in East Central Okla, not even a Texan. Lastly, even if the club scene for steel guitar is drying up it doesn't mean the steel guitar is fading away. I play on Sunday nights with a Country Gospel group travelling to a different Church each Sunday night and the people in Churches love the steel guitar which can be seen if you listen to Gospel music on the radio. It is very prominent in Gospel recordings. A side note, there are opry type shows opening up all around our area and there are not enough steel players to go around. Any steel player in my area can easily find a place to play and be appreciated.
Jerry
Dan Tyack

Post by Dan Tyack »

John Fabian hit the nail on the head. The young steel players are out there, but they're just not all that interested in the format and lineups at the steel shows.

I personally know many dozens of steel players under the age of 25, but they're mostly African American, and play only in small Pentacostal churches.
Brandon Ordoyne

Post by Brandon Ordoyne »

I am 27 and I have been playing for 14 months!! and I LOVE it!!!!! :)

Its NOT dying! its here to stay!

Brandon
'74 Emmons D10 P/P 8x5,'15 Rittenberry D10 8x5, Peavey Nashville 112, 400 & 1000, Fender Twin Reverb Tone Master, Hilton, Goodrich L120, Boss DD-3 and RV-3
Kevin Hatton

Post by Kevin Hatton »

I have a 26 year old student. I am activly promoting steel guitar to younger people.
Bill Hatcher

Post by Bill Hatcher »

There will always be young people drawn to interesting instruments. You may never see them, because you don't hang out with young people anymore!
Chris LeDrew

Post by Chris LeDrew »

John Fabian wrote: I think that many of these new players are not interested in hanging around a hotel all weekend listening to "the classics". That would explain why you don't see them at the typical steel shows.
I wouldn't say I'm a new player (10 years or so), and I wouldn't say I'm that young (37). But I've attended St. Louis once, and this March will be my second trip to Dallas. The very foundation of steel guitar is rooted in the players who perform at these conventions and the material they play. I take it very seriously, and even though I do feel relatively young at these conventions, the amount of wisdom in these players' words and music is invaluable to me. I consider myself a traditional steel player, and I like good old country and swing.

If you think there is a small amount of younger players playing country steel, there is an even smaller amount playing other types of music on it.

If anything is a factor here, it's the cost of going to these conventions. Most young players don't have the cash to make the trip. It is obvious at these conventions that many are enjoying their retirement by travelling around and taking in such events. The younger players are still struggling, for the most part.
Jackson Steel Guitars
Web: www.chrisledrew.com
Michael Haselman

Post by Michael Haselman »

I'd like to add a couple things. First, when my radio accidentally tunes into the NCS station, I still hear lots of steel guitar, even though the music is not exactly classic. The second is that steel guitar is a very intimidating instrument technically, but most of all for young players, financially. I play in a band with kids and we have quite a young following and everyone loves the steel. Many young wannabes come up and ask questions and you can tell they're fascinated, but it's not like you can go to Guitar Center and buy a starter set and try it out.
Mullen RP D10, Peavey NV112, Hilton volume. Hound Dog reso. Piles of other stuff.
Bent Romnes

Post by Bent Romnes »

Warren, no I don't think that the steel is that hard to learn that you are old by the time you are good enough to play at a convention. The younger you are when you start, the better off you are. A young person learns quicker than an older person like me (61). That's just a fact of life. The young people are the ones we must invest in. They are the future of the steel. By 'invest' I mean that we have a responsibility here, to let the steel branch out into other music forms and NEVER cubby-hole it by playing only the old country tunes. It needs to be used more in jazz, rock, and more modern music forms. To get and keep the steel in the mainstream, this is something that we owe to our beloved instrument.
Young people are so receptive and open and willing to learn, if we only take the time and show them how.
More power to the ones who got started early in life!
Brett Day, you are on the right track; you started at age 18 I see.

That said, us older people don't need to hold a back seat...I have discovered that it is at least as much fun now to be a member of this unique 'family' of musicians. I have no aspirations of ever becoming 'good', but I am having a lot of fun trying! And I think it keeps me young! Just look at all the stuff I am learning from people on here. It is simply amazing how this Forum has brought the whole steel world together and we are all learning from each other.
Joel Meredith

Post by Joel Meredith »

I'm 22 and started when I was 19...I think I may be the youngest in Portland, but I'm not sure.
Les Anderson

Post by Les Anderson »

I am 67 years old steel, play every week end and do lots of jamming with my steel and the other instruments that I play. I am also in the process of just starting to teach an 18 year old who has been coming over to my home and dearly wants to learn to play my steel.

There may be a catch to my playing out so much with my steel: I play other instruments as well. In fact only one member of our band, the drummer, cannot play at least two instruments.
(I am not right all of the time but I sure like to think I am!)