Princeton Reverb speaker recommendation?

Steel guitar amplifiers, effects, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Chip McConnell

Post by Chip McConnell »

I need to replace the speaker in my silverface princeton reverb. In this case that would be a 12" speaker (which the baffle currently accommodates). This is primarily a guitar amp. I tend towards a cleaner tone and would be interested in headroom with warmth versus overdriven small-amp crunch. I'd appreciate any suggestions.
Henry Nagle

Post by Henry Nagle »

Sometimes you can find the Eminence speakers that Fender uses nowadays (they say fender on them) for cheap used. Those are actually pretty nice, warm sounding speakers. I've got a 15" of the sort that is my favorite speaker ever.

I once played a Princeton Reverb that had a speaker made from marijuana! :)

It was also an eminence. I think it was called a Cannabis Rex (hahahaha).

It was a little dark, but very sweet sounding. I actually got to A/B it with a Jensen or something and it compared favorably.

Don't take it to Nevada. You can do serious time there! ;)
Brad Sarno

Post by Brad Sarno »

Try the Red Fang 10" in a Princeton. These are very, very sweet sounding alnico magnet speakers with a "British" flavored cone. I'm familiar with the 12", and I understand that the 10" is very similar. These are some of the nicest sounding new speakers. Brighter and clearer than the Tone Tubby Hempcones. What's real nice with these is that the midrange is somewhat relaxed, and the top end isn't ice-picky like the alnico Jensens. The Red Fang is one of the nicest new speakers out there, at least for guitar, maybe not steel. They are not high power speakers.

http://www.loudspeakersplus.com/html/red_coat.html

Brad
Rex Wiseman

Post by Rex Wiseman »

I recently replaced the speaker (also a 12" speaker) in my '68 Princeton with a JBL and it sounds like a baby "Twin"!! Goodness !! That thing will absolutely eat your pants legs off !! I used it in the studio the other day (volume on 3) and it sounded great.
Brad Sarno

Post by Brad Sarno »

I was fortunate enough to score a JBL D-110 for my Princeton. It's like a mini D-112 or D-130. Little metal dustcap. Sounds like the JBL's so many of us love. It's truly amazing in my '68 Princeton. Good luck finding one though.

Brad
Rex Wiseman

Post by Rex Wiseman »

Hello Brad,
Man I gotta tell you, that Rev Preamp is amazing. Without a doubt the best one I've ever used - NO EXCEPTIONS. Thanks for a wonderful product.

Rex Wiseman
John Billings

Post by John Billings »

Chip, I'm not sure if my suggestion will help. My best friend and amp tech is a PR freak. He's built several for guitar players around Cleveland. He does the Stokes Mod, Allen transformers, and some other internal mods. The amps are all between 20 and 22 watts. All with 12" speakers. They're quite loud, and have the wonderful Fender reverb and vibrato circuits (no roach). So, therein lies the difference.
My tech put in one of those Eminence speakers with the hemp cone. He says he's never takin' it out! But he likes a little grittier sound.
I have a Celestion G12H80 in mine, and I love it. Sweet and clear, with no speaker distortion. I'm a finger-picker who likes a very clean sound even if I'm playin' blues, and it fills the bill! It's always in the shop to test new Performance Steel Guitars.
Chip McConnell

Post by Chip McConnell »

Hey thanks for the responses guys. Looks like 2 votes for the contraband speaker. I think I'll give it a try if I can find one locally.
Henry Nagle

Post by Henry Nagle »

Dude, it's the "green" sound!
Terry Lovett

Post by Terry Lovett »

Check out the Eminence Governor or the Celestion Vintage 30 for 6-string guitar.

http://www.mojomusicalsupply.com/speake ... s=Eminence

http://cgi.ebay.com/EMINENCE-THE-GOVERN ... dZViewItem
"Things can work,but not as well as they might if your thinking had been better" - J. Williams, MIT
Twayn Williams

Post by Twayn Williams »

I have a Lil' Texas in my DRRI and it's quite nice, but I've really been thinking of trying out the Jensen Neo.
Primitive Utility Steel
John Billings

Post by John Billings »

Chip, have a tech do the Stokes mod. It's easy and not expensive. This will boost your amp from it's current 10/11 watts up to around 20 watts. More like a Deluxe Reverb. That will give you much more clean headroom. Get the tech to bias your power tubes for clean, but warm sound. Should be quite inexpensive. Less than an hour of his time. Best to have him put in an adjustable bias pot. I suggest you get on the phone to a tech, and ask him, "How much?"
Jim Sliff

Post by Jim Sliff »

I like Celestions in some cases, but not in a Princeton or Deluxe.

For clean with a little edge, a Weber Chicago; another favorite is the standard CTS ceramic.
No chops, but great tone
1930's/40's Rickenbacher/Rickenbacker 6&8 string lap steels
1921 Weissenborn Style 2; Hilo&Schireson hollownecks
Appalachian, Regal & Dobro squarenecks
1959 Fender 400 9+2 B6;1960's Fender 800 3+3+2; 1948 Fender Dual-8 Professional
Olli Haavisto

Post by Olli Haavisto »

Jensen Neo10 sounds good in my silverface Princeton.
Olli Haavisto
Finland
Jon A. Ross

Post by Jon A. Ross »

JBL D-120 in my PR. Doubles the headroom (and the weight!).