Need Shorter Steel

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Veree Pickerel

Need Shorter Steel

Post by Veree Pickerel »

I AM A SHORT LADY WANTING TO LEARN TO PLAY THE STEEL. I FIND THEY ARE TOO TALL FOR ME TO REACH THE KNEE LEVERS. DOES ANYONE OUT THERE HAVE A SOLUTION FOR THIS PROBLEM. THANKS VEREE PICKEREL
Dale Hansen

Post by Dale Hansen »

Just how short are you?, and what type of guitar do you have?
I am 5'7", and use a 1" (inch) lowering kit on my guitars.
Nearly all guitar builders can supply you with a lowering kit. (rods, and legs)
I would suggest that you post a request in the "Wanted to buy" section for the brand of guitar
you own.
If you have a relatively new guitar, the builder may simply trade out the standard set, for the ones you need.

Good luck,
DH
Chris Bauer

Post by Chris Bauer »

Thanks, Dale. I've been in touch with Veree about this issue since she may be interested in my SD-10 for sale and didn't even think about a lowering kit as part of the solution. Duh!!! :oops:

Thanks.
Ernest Cawby

here

Post by Ernest Cawby »

Take the legs apart, use a steel rod and tap the ends of the leg, cut to right size and glue back in place, use a tap and vice to rethread the rods to legnth and cut off access screw the conectors back on, no kit needed, takes about an hour.

ernie
Alan Brookes

Post by Alan Brookes »

The lady may not have a tap and die set.
Dale Hansen

Post by Dale Hansen »

That's right Alan.
And, they might be "rolled on" threads. A lot of em' are these days, and not receptive to cutting new threads in.
It's best for her, just to get a full set that will fit.
Also, if she sells the guitar later, the original standard set will be an advantage.
Veree Pickerel

Need Shorter Steel

Post by Veree Pickerel »

Thanks everybody for your help, Keep the info coming, I am listening to every word. I hope to make a decision soon, and I am learning a lot to help me with my decision. Veree
Veree Pickerel

shorter steel

Post by Veree Pickerel »

Whatis considered standard height for a steel? Veree
Roger Shackelton

Post by Roger Shackelton »

I believe a Williams guitar measures 26 inches from the floor to the bottom of the rear apron, where the knee levers are located.
Veree, I am very sure Bill Rudolph would be willing to work with you on a custom height for your guitar.
He also makes keyed and gearless guitars. (Gearless guitars are 28-1/2 inches long) Birdseye lacquered wood or Formica finish, no extra charge.

Roger
Ernest Cawby

CHEAP

Post by Ernest Cawby »

ALAN LOWES FOR ABOUT $3.00, THE VICE MAY BE HARD TO COME BY, BUT VICE GrIP PLYERS are easy buy, a lot cheaper than leg kit, forgot the caps not hollering.

ernie
Chris Bauer

Post by Chris Bauer »

My Fessy and Zum are are also 26 inches from the floor to the bottom of the apron. I assume this is more or less standard with some minor variations. Plus, of course, the height of the body and if/how much it's tilted one way or another will make some difference as well.
Jerry Overstreet

Post by Jerry Overstreet »

Sharon Denney of the Indy Steel Club is a lady of small stature and she plays a Sierra Crown series that fits her nicely. I don't know if it was custom ordered or customized by someone later. Chet Brummett VP of our Louisville club plays a Derby with similar mods.

I think most guitars are pretty much in the 26" height mentioned [My Mullen is as well], so I doubt you'd find any factory stock steel comfortable for you. Some maker's cabinets are slightly smaller overall, so this might be a consideration also.

If you are looking at buying new, most mfgs. should be able and willing to meet your specifications. Otherwise, any competent steel mechanic can perform the modifications necessary to meet your requirements. Perhaps some additonal cost can be expected, but the obstacle is one than can be overcome. Best of Luck :!:
Veree Pickerel

Shorter Steel

Post by Veree Pickerel »

Thanks guys for all your input. Veree
Dick Sexton

Short!!!

Post by Dick Sexton »

Veree,

I'm 5'4" and shrinking fast. My steel is 23" to the bottom of the apron and 27.5" to the strings. I tilt it forward just slightly to get my forarms parallel to the floor when in picking position. This is the most comfortable for me and allows me to play as long as I care to without tireing. It does look like a toy up next to most others though. I've never had anyone sit comfortably behind my steel but me, guess I'll have to keep it.

Like Mr. Brookes has said, the mod is really not that hard and anyone with the tools, hacksaw/file and tap and die set, access to a vice, with a limited amount of machanical ability and attention to detail, should be able to do it easily.

Remember, measure twice or more then cut once. Offer your local plumber, electrician or auto machanic a steel lesson and your in business. Those fellows are usually real handy. Just watch um close, you don't want scratches.

The other option of course would be to send legs and rods to your steels maker or to someone else you trust to do the work properly. Just the short of it, Dick Sexton
David LeBlanc

Post by David LeBlanc »

Lowered my LINKON and it took more than an hour :eek: A local machinist helped me with the tap (mine wasnt a standard size tap) Just remember MURPHY`s LAW .
Dan Burnham

BMI Keyless

Post by Dan Burnham »

Veree,
Most Dealers can alter the legs for you to make it the right height.
At BMI we do that and we also have the little keyless steel which are loved by many for its size and weight. Our keyless are around 29 inches wide which is ideal for knee placement.

Dan (BMI)
BMI S12 Zane Beck's Tuning
www.danburnham.com
Veree Pickerel

shorter steel

Post by Veree Pickerel »

I am learning so much. I never new about the keyless, the keyed and the gearless. Tell me all you can about theses. So happy to be hearing from the short people, you are a big help to me. Veree
L. A. Wunder

Post by L. A. Wunder »

Hi,

I'm 4'11 and have had similar difficulties reaching the knee levers. Lowering the guitar is the most drastic (and permenant) option you can take. Here are other things you might want to try first.

1.) Try using a taller chair, if you have one available. You'll probably have to sit near the edge of the chair if you legs are anywhere as short as mine, but it might raise you enough to reach the levers more comfortably.

2.) Measure the diameter of your knee levers, then go to the hardware store and buy some stiff, clear plastic tubing big enough to slip over them. You want the tubing to fit snuggly enough so it won't fall off, but loose enough so you can slide it up-and-down to extend the length of the lever. Cut the tubing to a length that will allow it to just cover the lever when slid all the way back up. That way, you can simply push the "extension" back up when you're done playing, and it won't interfere with your ability to fold the lever up under the guitar.

The reason I mention these things, is because I cut down an Emmons guitar 2 1/2 inches years ago, then had to buy a lift kit to raise it again, because playing it gave me a backache. My knees may not be at the optimal height, but I can play it comfortably.
I use the plastic tubing method on the steel I play in church, which I never cut down. It works well, with little cost or mechanical intervention involved. You might want to try some "simpler" options, before deciding on someting that will be harder to undo, if you don't like it.

Good luck, and let me know what you decide, and how it works.

L.A.
Herb Steiner

Post by Herb Steiner »

Veree
I'm 5'5" now and shrinking :( , and I have my guitar legs cut to 1.5" to 1.75" shorter than the standard 26" guitar height.

My SINCERE advice: First, unless you're experienced with tools, don't do this yourself. Have a builder or some reputable steel mechanic make you a set of legs/rods. It will pay off in looks and resaleability.

Home-made, shade tree jobs usually look like it and generally lessen the value of an instrument.

Secondly, if you're getting a used guitar and can afford an extra couple hundred dollars, is to get a shorter set of legs/rods made and keep the original set intact. This will help you when and if you want to sell the guitar, or trade up.

On both points, my opinions speak from the experience of playing, buying, trading and selling steels for 40+ years.
My rig: Infinity and Telonics.

Son, we live in a world with walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with steel guitars. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Weinberg?
Veree Pickerel

shorter steel

Post by Veree Pickerel »

So there are people out there as short as I am, I too measure 4"ll", maybe you could tell me more about how to measure the steel for comfort. I am still researching, I want to make an informed decision. Thanks L.A. for the information. Veree
Veree Pickerel

Shorter Stell

Post by Veree Pickerel »

Thanks to you Herb, I am absorbing every word. I do want what ever I get to look good and be able to resale it if I ever want to. Thanks again. Veree
Ronnie Crecelius

Post by Ronnie Crecelius »

Veree,
I'm a beginner on the steel but I feel Herbs advice is spot on...have a professional do the work or of course if buing new the builder can tailor the height to your needs.
I never thought people would have trouble reaching the knee levers...I'm quite the opposite, I'm going to need at least 2" of lift to get comfortable.
Best of luck to ya!
Veree Pickerel

SHORTER STEEL

Post by Veree Pickerel »

Thanks Ronnie, Good advice, How are you doing on the steel? Veree
Antolina

Post by Antolina »

Veree,

Go buy any steel you like and have any number of folks in here lower it for you. It's not brain surgery and doesn't take long at all.
The only thing better than doing what you love is having someone that loves you enough to let you do it.

Sho~Bud 6139 3+3
Marrs 3+4

RC Antolina
Ronnie Crecelius

Re: SHORTER STEEL

Post by Ronnie Crecelius »

I've picked up a little bit but really havent got serious yet. I have a "loaner" guitar right now but I just dont fit under it well enough to do much...I should be getting my own guitar soon(possibly this weekend) and then I'll get the lift kit I need and get ready to practice, practice, practice.
Veree Pickerel wrote:Thanks Ronnie, Good advice, How are you doing on the steel? Veree