ZB Pedal Steel Guitars - Please help!

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Russ Tkac

Post by Russ Tkac »

Nice sound Dave! You're swinging. :D

Russ
Dave Zirbel

Post by Dave Zirbel »

Hi Russ. How is your ZB single neck going?

dz
Russ Tkac

Post by Russ Tkac »

Dave,

It's going so well that my other one is in the case. It looks like you keep pretty busy!

Russ
Duncan Hodge

Post by Duncan Hodge »

Hey Russ and Dave! The two ZBs that you have could arguably make you guys the Forum version of The Glimmer Twins. Great playing, Dave. You are rapidly becoming one of my favorite pickers. Listening to you on Raised by Hippies is becoming one of my favorite obsessive compulses these days. I even tried to buy the song from the I see Hawks website, but sadly, it appears to be unavailable at this time in space. I find your playing extremely bouncy and full of fun.
To all the other "ZB Nuts", have you heard/seen Brother Frank Bloomfield playing his ZB on YouTube? I don't understand most, hell any, of the words, but Frank, ya done us all proud. Here is the link and Frank, I hope that you don't mind
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nhk-ftgbQjk
Have a beautiful day, Duncan
"The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over."
Dave Zirbel

Post by Dave Zirbel »

Thanks Duncan. I'll tell those Hawks guys to fix their website. Their new cd is coming out any day now!

I'm in the market for an S11 or 12 zb if anyone has one to unload. Fixer uppers OK.

dz
Kevin Hatton

Post by Kevin Hatton »

Frank, it looks like you are playing on a lunch counter on that 11 string! Where's the waitress? Those eleven stringers sure are long. Excellent playing on your part. I love it. It just goes to show you the universal appeal of American Cuntry Music. Sing it any where and people feel it. Excellent bass and drummer also there.
Paul Frank Bloomfield

Post by Paul Frank Bloomfield »

Hallo Kevin and all the other guys who posted these
kind comments, I was really nervous doing that TV
stint as it went out live, I'm sure it shows !
Incidently, that was done 17 years ago,I really look
like Jack-the-lad in that suit eh ?
Oh, Kevin, you don't spell Country like that !!
Many thanks guys.
Duncan, have you had the item yet ??
All the best Frank. Corfu
Duncan Hodge

Post by Duncan Hodge »

Hello Frank,
Glad that you didn't mind my sharing your YouTube. No, the package hasn't arrived yet, but as you said, by Corfu pigeon transport, and my end redneck mail service, it could take a while. Thanks again, in advance. I'll let you know when it get here. In the meantime, have a beautiful Corfu day. In the meantime, I'm going out to get a bucket of minnows on accout of I hear a mess of crappie calling me from the backyard.
Duncan
"The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over."
Billy Knowles

Frank

Post by Billy Knowles »

Frank
That was really good. That ZB looked and sounded good and you played great. That was very nice.
Was that the same George Washington singing?
Proud of you
Billy
Shawn Shader

forum newbie....

Post by Shawn Shader »

I just wanted to say hello to everyone here in the ZB fanclub. I have been watching this forum for a while and just joined. I spent the last two nights looking through all 71 pages......

I have ZB #1084 which I have owned for about 10 years...I will put some pics on tomorrow, but please no bashing!!
I acquired mine from Perley Curtis who took the D-10
and gutted it. It is now a SD-10 with a Marrs mechanism and georle L pickups.... it has 3 pedals and 4 knee levers.

I know it is not a true ZB anymore, but it has been alot of fun learning to play on. And does have a great sound....

I do have a few questions that I know you experienced players should be able to help me with..
My big question is this. I am presently building myself a music room in my large garage (40x40) the room is about 10'x12'. My question is concerning condensation since it is a steel building with metal walls.. I have started to frame out the walls to my room and before I complete it just was wondering if anyone has any good advice on how to prevent condensation or how to be sure it is safe for my equipment before I move everything in. I have some interesting pieces in my instrument collection and want to be extra careful?
The other thing I wanted to throw out there, is that I would like to find a TRUE D-10 ZB same era as my morphadite would be great.
Well, thanks to all for keeping this terrific post going..

sd-10 morphadite
6 string Dick Denieve koa wood dobro
Henry Nagle

Post by Henry Nagle »

The two best ways (that I know of) to prevent condensation are: A vapor barrier, and ventilation inside the wall cavity. One way is to frame a second wall inside the building and paper that (On the outside of the interior wall if possible. That way the insulation is also protected). Then cut vent registers into the top and bottom of the outside metal skin. Louvered vents are cheap and easy to install. Look out, though. If you put them too close to the ground rain can splash up and get into the wall cavity.

How's that for off topic!
Shawn Shader

Post by Shawn Shader »

ok, I think I have the solution, I will leave a gap between the outside wall and my new wall. Do you think an inch or two would be enough? or less?
What about temperature change? I live in upstate ny so winter can be hell sometimes. Do I need to keep my room heated all the time? I keep the garage at 50 degrees at night. Should i keep it warmer?
And this isnt too off topic....It is concerning the welfare of a ZB lol.
Henry Nagle

Post by Henry Nagle »

You're building a small, independent room in a corner of a large garage, right? If I were you, I'd treat it like a small house. I think you could build it a few inches from the outside walls, but I would suggest using plywood or 5/8" OSB on the outside of the music box. So, from the outside in you would have: OSB/tarpaper/studs/drywall. It might make sense to put the tarpaper outside of the OSB.

If you have really serious winters, I would consider using larger studs to get more insulation space (probably 2x6). If you're keeping your guitars out, there you'll probably want to keep some source of heat going and a little more insulation will save you a lot of dough. In CA the standard for residential insulation is usually R30 (2x10) for ceilings and R13 or R19 (2x6) for walls.

That's one way to store your ZB!

BTW, I didn't pay enough attention at first. You don't need vents and stuff. My initial impression was that you were enclosing the entire space. Building a little room, all you have to do is make sure that it's insulated and sealed. I don't think you need to worry too much about ventilation, except for maybe the ceiling (of the little room).
Shawn Shader

Post by Shawn Shader »

Thanks for your help, I framed it out today. I left a 2" space between the outside wall and my inside wall. And I put up some tyvek house wrap on the outside of my inner wall. And I used 2x6's for my framing and used 6" insulation...
I think this should be sufficient. Thanks again...
I am going to upload some pics in a little bit of my ZB....
Shawn Shader

My morph ZB

Post by Shawn Shader »

Here is my morph.......Would love to know the date the date of manufacturing and the original purchaser.
Any information Larry Chung?
thanks to all
Shawn Shader

Post by Shawn Shader »

one last picture....
This is my Denieve Dobro....
B. Greg Jones

Post by B. Greg Jones »

Fine, fine looking ZB you have!!! Ser# 1084 was invoiced on Aug. 30th, 1967 to Ted Solesky. Built in Scranton, Arkansas. This is the 83rd guitar that Zane built. I bet it sounds great!!!

Greg
Shawn Shader

Post by Shawn Shader »

Thanks Greg,

As I said in my first post, it is not original. I am very curious as to whether or not I would be able to get the original sound of this guitar if I were to have an original pick-up installed instead of the george l. Would it be worth it considering all the other changes that were made to it?
Casey Lowmiller

Post by Casey Lowmiller »

Shawn,

I would definitely consider getting a ZB pickup in that. They certainly help achieve the ZB sound.

Love your guitar by the way!!! Sometime here in the new future, I'm going to send my basketcase of a ZB to Kevin Hatton. I plan on having him do something similar to my ZB. When it is done, it will be new looking, smoothe playing with updated parts & sound like a ZB should. I'm so excited!!!

Enjoy your steel,

Casey
Known Coast to Coast as
"The Man with The Plan"
Paul Frank Bloomfield

Hallo Guys
Many thanks (again) for the kind comments,
Kevin, I sold that D11-10 ZB to a mate before we
left the UK to here in Greece that was over four years ago and to the best of my knowledge it has'nt
been out of his front room since, he had to have an
operation on his lower leg and I don't think he has
played it for nearly a year, sad !!
Billy,thanks to you again ! Yes, that was our George,
I would be very surprised (but happy!)if he is still
alive as he was well into his seventies when that was
done,should make him about 85/90 now.
I'm still in a quandrie about making my D-10 into a
SD-10, I really don't know what to do, one bit of me
says it will make it lighter and the other bit says
I'll ruin it !
All the best to you all
Frank. Corfu
Billy Knowles

ZB

Post by Billy Knowles »

Frank
Both of my ZBs, 1054 & 1058, I have converted to a SD10 and SD11 with a pad on the back. I don't think that it changes the tone at all. If it is good enough for Tom Brumley is it good enough for me, not to mention a lot lighter. As we get older that becomes more important. I never played much C6 anyway. No one but another steel player wanted to hear it anyway. Only have to have one set of strings also. I have also seen one with the underside and
C Pedals removed and just the strings on top like a non pedal steel. That was pretty neat also. But in the long run the SD10 is enough guitar for most on players. I still have that police badge you and Lin were kind enough to give me when I was in London. I keep it on my desk along side a silver Viking ship that Steinar gave me. My European buddies.
Thanks
BIlly
Paul Frank Bloomfield

Changing the D-10 to SD-10

Well Billy,
I think you have conviced me to remove the C6th
neck and replace it with a padded cover, I never
use the C6th especially with the music we play.It will
make a difference weight-wise I'm sure and at my
age (62) should make life a bit easier (it's all
stairs and hills over here !).
So I will be having a lot of ZB bits for sale
after the event,will keep you all informed.
All the best
Frank. Corfu
Ken Metcalf

Post by Ken Metcalf »

Here is a first assembly on the pile of parts I had back a page or two for # 308
Stainless steel, no turn buckles, no springs. 4&4
After assembling this guitar my head feels funny like something may have snapped or come loose up there.
;-)

Kenny
https://sanantoniosteelguitarassoc.com/
MSA 12 String E9th/B6th Universal
Little Walter PF-89.
Bill Hatcher

Post by Bill Hatcher »

click here

Nice one on eBay for you guys to fight over.
Henry Nagle

Post by Henry Nagle »

We don't fight. We reason. :) That looks like a potentially fine instrument.