Before He Cheats

Written music for steel guitar

Moderator: Ricky Davis

David Simenson

Before He Cheats

Post by David Simenson »

I'm learning this song on my lap steel in C6 tuning (CEGACE). I've got the chords, but not all the licks right. Does anyone have tab for this song? What tuning are you using? Thanks.
Lynn Griffith

Before He Cheats

Post by Lynn Griffith »

David- One of my bands does that song, but I play piano on it. We do it in F# minor. I've never played steel on it. Maybe some of the licks you need I do on piano. Any one in particular you need ?
David Simenson

Post by David Simenson »

Hi Lynn. Actually, on this song, I play piano on the intro and verses, and lap steel on the chorus. The intro has that great piano part, and the lap steel is more prominent on the choruses. We play it dropped down to E minor.
Brian Straub

Post by Brian Straub »

Hi David,

On the chorus do you play the 3 steel glisses after "leather seat"..I was wondering what strings they are are playing? I'm close on it...

Thanks
David Simenson

Post by David Simenson »

Yeah! That's one of the best parts of the song. I saw the steel guitarist for a couple seconds on a YouTube video, right when he was playing that phrase. It helped to know that it was they were intervals from a B7 chord (playing the song in Em). Here's the four bars that contain that lick:

[tab]
C Em B
W W H H W
E|-----------|-7--------|-19---14-----|-11----|
C|-12--------|-7--------|-------------|-------|
A|-----------|-7--------|-18---14-----|-------|
G|-12--------|----------|-------------|-11----|
E|-12--------|-7--------|-------------|-------|
C|-----------|----------|-------------|-------|

[/tab]
Brian Straub

glisses

Post by Brian Straub »

David,

Which you tube video did you see it on? I'm playing it on pedal steel so its a bit different..the chords are right though!.

Thanks.
David Simenson

Post by David Simenson »

I can't find it on YouTube. I read about the clip in a post on this forum a couple months ago. In any case, the brief camera shot of the steel guitarist showed where he was playing up the fretboard, and that was all I needed to figure out the chords.
James Collett

Post by James Collett »

I'm 95% sure that's Paul Franklin on psg! :D
James Collett
David Simenson

Post by David Simenson »

The video clip I saw was Carrie Underwood singing live at some awards ceremony. The steel guitarist was playing a 6-string Lap King Rodeo model, no pedals. The actual guitar builder noted the video clip on this forum, I just can't find the thread with the search function here. It's a beautiful guitar though.
James Collett

Post by James Collett »

Oh- I was talking about the recording! Sorry.
The CD credits list Mike Johnson and Paul as steel, but I read somewhere else that Paul played that one. Plus, those high sustained notes are trademark for him, especially overtones.
James Collett