Northeast Iowa Steel Jam

Upcoming steel guitar shows, concerts, jam sessions, club dates, etc.

Moderator: Dave Mudgett

Mark Kelchen

Northeast Iowa Steel Jam

Post by Mark Kelchen »

The Northeast Iowa Steel Jam is on today and tomarrow at Electric Park Ballroom in Waterloo, Iowa. Doug Jernigan put on a seminar last night that was outstanding. Doug will also be performing both days at the Jam. Lets hear it for Lefty, Craig and Dale. These guys put on a great jam every year! :0
Tiny Olson

Post by Tiny Olson »

Hey Mark,

I spoke to Terry Bethel yesterday over the phone when he was at Bruce Zumsteg's and Terry had stopped by to visit Mr. Z. on his way up to the Iowa show. He's another fantastic player who deserves more credit than he has gotten over the years. I know everyone at the show will enjoy his playing.

If my long time friend from Rochester, Mn., Dean Peterson is there at the show, would you please tell him I said hello. He used to come see me play about 28 yrs ago at the Hollywood Bar in Rochester when I worked that circuit with a pretty much, unknown road band. Dean's a fellow steel player and a good guy. Thanks.

Tiny Olson
Lefty Schrage

Post by Lefty Schrage »

Hi Tiny! Dean's a good friend of mine, too, and I'll tell him 'hi' for you! We hope to get him to play our show one of these years and I think he's beginning to seriously consider doing it. Good to hear form you. ...Lefty
Tiny Olson

Post by Tiny Olson »

Lefty:
Thanks so much. I speak to Dean over the phone several times throughout the year so I'll pester him to play it too. He has been a good friend for quite awhile.

Another guy who used to play the same places that I did only through another agency was Donny Saxton. Back in the '70s he was playing a laquer Emmons. I lost touch with him years ago and I still wonder what happened to him. A real good guy too. Any ideas ??

Tiny Olson
Al Udeen

Post by Al Udeen »

Tiny! I asked a guy in St. Cloud, Mn, who knows Donny Saxton & says the last he heard, Donny was working at a recording studio & playing weekends, in Sioux Falls, SD. I used to stop in when Donny was playing at the Hollywood Bar with Art Essery! also LeRoy Glazer was playing guitar! au
Eddie Lange

Post by Eddie Lange »

My Mom and Dad are great friends of Donny's. He and his late wife Annie used to live up here in Sauk Rapids. Donny is a fantastic steel player. He worked with my dad at times on different occasions and he produced one of his old 45's. He is living in Sioux Falls and I believe he is married to the woman who runs Sioux Falls Music. A far as Art Essery goes, he is living in Nashville but is now coming back up more often to Minnesota to play shows. One of the last times he was up here, I played with him, a real treat. Plus, I get to play with Leroy Glazier quite often, in fact tommorrow night!

------------------
The Young Steelkid<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Eddie Lange on 27 February 2002 at 07:57 PM.]</p></FONT><FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Eddie Lange on 27 February 2002 at 07:59 PM.]</p></FONT>
Kim Miller

Post by Kim Miller »

Eddie you were outstanding at the Jam. I was really impressed with your playing. I'd like to come up and hear you play some more with your band.
Lefty your set was great too. I really liked "Linda on my Mind". You sounded super!
Thanks! Kim
Craig A Davidson

Post by Craig A Davidson »

I would also like to thank all the players that came to the jam. I think everybody played terrific. It will be hard to top for next year, what with all our regular talent, plus Doug and Terry. Eddie Lang, I wish I had the talent you had in your little finger. I would also like to mention we had a couple new up-and-comers, by the name of Mark Kelchen and Kirk Dighton. You did good guys. I didn't name everyone but I think you all were great. Thanks again
Kirk P Dighton

Post by Kirk P Dighton »

Thanks to Lefty, Dale and Craig for asking me to play. It was a very....hmmmmm...educational experience. I was very honored to play at the Northeast Iowa Steel Guitar Jam after only 2 years playing. I have a lot of great support and assistance, Curt Kloft, Dennis Detweiller, Lefty Schrage, Craig Davidson and many others. My phone bill is going up too!
Hey Lefty, I'll be up in a couple weeks,,,just to warn you. I am using the Jernigan tabs and getting a good feel on the C6.
Is Hughey coming next year guys?? Count me in again. This Jam is very well done! Hats off to the crew!

By the way,,for $10 Dennis will tune your guitar..man that's cheap!
Kirk
S.P.I.T. (Steel Player In Training)<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Kirk P Dighton on 01 March 2002 at 05:36 PM.]</p></FONT><FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Kirk P Dighton on 01 March 2002 at 05:38 PM.]</p></FONT><FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Kirk P Dighton on 01 March 2002 at 05:40 PM.]</p></FONT>
Dennis Detweiler

Post by Dennis Detweiler »

Yup!..Mark and Kirk were pretty impressive for a couple of young upcoming players. All those hours start to pay off.
Tuning....
That's $1.00 per string. Not a bad deal!
Also the $10 extra if I use a tuner! Tommy Pickett couldn't get his tuner to turn on. So I showed him which button to push and BINGO!...another $10. I think I've found my retirement sideline.
"Guitar Tuning While You Wait" or "Tuning While You Sleep By Detweiler"
???
Tiny Olson

Post by Tiny Olson »

Al and Eddie:

Thanks for the info on Donny Saxton. He was always a great player and a good guy.

When I used to play the northern plains circuit, he and I crossed paths alot. In Rochester, Mn. I was usually playing the Hollywood with the Tim Gillis Show and he was usually over at the Roxy. We used to go to this BBQ pit for dinner outside town. Man was that good stuff... clear a head cold in 30 minutes flat.

Thanks again and I'm glad to hear Donny's doing alright.

I miss playing around that area, I really met alot of good folks and had lots of fun.

Tiny
Mark Kelchen

Post by Mark Kelchen »

Zumthing special could be coming next week too. $1.00 per string would be a deal at twice the price. Does that include the pedals also Dennis? Kieth Hilton was talking about some kind of "Tuning Fluid"? Image
Dennis Detweiler

Post by Dennis Detweiler »

Solon Legion has tuning fluid. Gonna check it out tonight. Zumtuning fluid?
Tom Pickett Jr

Post by Tom Pickett Jr »

Lefty, dido on the great job everyone.
the whole show from begining!!!! to end
was great. i thought terry tore it up!
great tone, i would have mailed this sooner
but i couldnt find the switch to turn this
labtop on. but after a 10 minute phonecall
to denny and another $10dollars he told me
where it was. LOL
mark, and kirk great job guys.