Volume Pedal Technique

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Mitch Adelman

Volume Pedal Technique

Post by Mitch Adelman »

What is the best way to practice using the volume pedal? I always use one (so does everyone else) but I really don't know how to just practice good volume pedal skills and technique. I know there is a real art to it. Anyone have any helpful tips? Seems like I've been spinning my wheels with it for years. Thanks
Buck Dilly

Post by Buck Dilly »

This is a very good question, I think we could all use direction here. First off get a good or better volume pedal; a Goodrich, Hilton, active is more dough but rarely needs work. A crappy pedal will create bad habits.
One basic "no-no" is do not swell from full off to full on (unless it is for a special effect). I like to practice somewhere in the middle of the throw. That way you have room at the top for solos and for deep swells. If you play to close to the top of the throw, you will have nowhere to go. This is really most of the whole deal. Think of it as an "expression pedal" first and a volume pedal second. Control of the volume is one thing and expression is another thing entirely. The next time you go to a convention, sit close enough to watch the right foot of a great player. I have to say that Buddy Emmons really makes great use of the volume pedal. Listen to Curley Chalker records too- a whole 'nother thang; gutting like a Hammond B-3 player; Amazing.
Dale Hansen

Post by Dale Hansen »

Hi Mitch,

You might try to not think about the volume pedal in terms of technique.

I always got a better result when I just forgot about it, and focused more on the sound I was trying to produce.
It will become second nature in time, if you trust yourself (& right foot) a little bit.

The same thing goes for bar control, and anything else you can think of.

There are so many different skill sets involved in playing, that we can't possibly micro-manage them all simultaneously with any reasonable expectation of success.
Bob Hoffnar

Post by Bob Hoffnar »

If you find yourself making that mweep mweep sound that loser 6 string players get when they try to imitate a pedal steel try leaving your vol ped under your foot and bypass it. Plug straight into the amp. Its a good way to brake that annoying habit. You will learn how to control your volume with your hands and how to make sure you use the pedal in a musicly intentional way. Its fine to bring your notes up after you pick. You want to make sure you are doing it on purpose.
Bob
Eric West

Post by Eric West »

Mitch. I think others will attest too that the best way is to play VERY often without one. Maybe even a whole set if you can.

It's not worth trying to grasp, because it comes naturally after a long while but.. What will actually happen is that just during, and not before your attack you'll find that you pull it back just a titch so that you more sustain when you bring it up later.

Like Bob H says, if you sound like a 6 stringer trying to imitate a lousy steel player, then you are what he is imitiating. ;)

Many guitar players imitate GOOD Steel Players. One that does a masterful job is Duke Levine, on his 'Country Soul Guitar', and most recently on his 'Beneath The Blue' CD. Both of which I highly recommend.

Brent Mason does it well too.

;)

EJL

EJL
William Fraser

technique

Post by William Fraser »

I will offer 1 tip,use the volume pedal to eliminate the sound of the picks. The tip on not using a pedal for practice is a good one,I had the experiance of Having to play without on a night when my pedal was picking up noise & was LOST,fortunately we were playing for the local Fire Co. awards dinner & all hell broke loose,we were the only ones left when the floods came. Billy Lee :eek:
Billy Lee ,Pro-II,, Session 400,Session 500 , Supro , National, SpeedDemons,& too many Archtops & Stratotones.Lots of vintage parts for Kay ! etc.
Hank Ruf

Post by Hank Ruf »

If you need help in proper volume pedal technique we talk some about this on our DVD Proper Right Hand Technique. If you care to order this DVD go to our website www.ozarksteelguitar.com
Herb Steiner

Post by Herb Steiner »

I ask my students the question "just what does the volume pedal do?" Most will say "it controls loudness and sustain."

I would then say the more correct answer is that it aids in the control of volume and sustain.

Volume should be controlled predominantly by the RIGHT hand, determined by strength of the pluck by the fingers. This is a finesse action that is accomplished by practice or natural feel.

Sustain is controlled by the LEFT hand, using vibrato speed and width, and bar pressure. Generally a slower, wider vibrato will yield the longest sustain. My experience is that on a slow/wide vibrato, a medium-light bar pressure is what I strive for.

Only when your hands are doing their job should the volume pedal be used to boost the results somewhat. Practicing with the pedal unhooked is the correct procedure. Leave your foot on the pedal so that your leg feels normal. Keep the amp volume about where it would be when using the pedal, which means turning it down about 50%. Keep practicing like that and eventually your hands will control the guitar. Then you'll find you won't use the pedal nearly as much as before.
Last edited by Herb Steiner on 11 Feb 2008 6:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
My rig: Infinity and Telonics.

Son, we live in a world with walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with steel guitars. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Weinberg?
Jim Sliff

Post by Jim Sliff »

IMO the best use of a volume pedal is such that you don't notice one is used at all. As suggested *not* using one is the best way to learn how to *use* one - because if you learn good right-hand dynamics your need for volume control use will be minimal. No matter what type of pedal (and I personally think expensive volume pedals are a ridiculous waste of money unless you're a player who "pumps" the thing like crazy - exactly what bad pedal technique is all about) a very small amount of movement is needed; a slight back-off when picking will lessen the "click", and a slight increase will help sustain the note or chord.

Longer "sweeps" of the pedal can be useful special effects for "crying" licks, bar shiver, etc - but only in very small doses. If you watch a good player's right foot you'll normally see little...if any...detectable movement, and some great players rarely use(d) one (Sneaky Pete comes to mind as someone who often had his right foot nowhere near a volume pedal). They use picking dynamics and right-hand control. No, you can't increase the volume of a note after it's played without a pedal, but if played right you may not NEED to.
No chops, but great tone
1930's/40's Rickenbacher/Rickenbacker 6&8 string lap steels
1921 Weissenborn Style 2; Hilo&Schireson hollownecks
Appalachian, Regal & Dobro squarenecks
1959 Fender 400 9+2 B6;1960's Fender 800 3+3+2; 1948 Fender Dual-8 Professional
Scott Hiestand

Post by Scott Hiestand »

I am glad to read that pro's such as Herb Steiner and others here are validating what I had been suspecting anyway. I recently had some horrible noises coming from my volume pedal and was forced to practice without it. I already knew my "technique" was lacking and I had picked up bad habits (such as dropping my volume too much during passages where I felt uncomfortable or less confident). It felt good to put that control back into my hands - obviously the control is more subtle but my intuition told me this would help my playing. I plan on continuing to practice this way for a while.

But my question is this. Even when I try and keep my foot still on the pedal....it WILL move - again, out of habit, as well as just the fact that the right leg is required to move knee levers from time to time. Anyone have any suggestions on how to keep it more still?
Bob Cox

Post by Bob Cox »

If you were driving a low powered car up a hill and it needed a little kick in the but with the gas to keep the momentom going could be something to think about.Although there are times when you take a ride
you may want to give it a little go power.But if you have to use it to play louder than everyone in the band it is time to find some more professional players that know a little more about the progressions of music.
Eric West

Post by Eric West »

Scott. Tightening the drag works pretty well if you have a pedal like a HILTON.

The Ernie Ball I used for 25 years didn't have an adjustment.

The Hilton was the best money I spent IMHO, but I didn't buy it for the drag adjustment, and don't have mine very tight.

:)

EJL
David Doggett
Location: Bawl'mer, MD (formerly of MS, Nawluns, Gnashville, Knocksville, Lost Angeles, Bahsten. and Philly)

Post by David Doggett »

Well, I both agree and disagree with everyone above. Practicing without a volume pedal (or with it bypassed) can certainly help break some bad habits and help develop good hand techniques.

As far a using the VP, Jim Sliff said it best (yes, I do occasionally agree with him):
Jim Sliff wrote:a very small amount of movement is needed; a slight back-off when picking will lessen the "click", and a slight increase will help sustain the note or chord.
So there's the problem. This is a very subtle, fine motor skill requiring great ear-foot coordination. At some point you have to plug in the VP and learn this.

If you watch a skilled player closely here is what you see. On fast passages there is no VP movement. They find the right volume spot and do all the dynamics with their hands (even taking their foot off the VP on C6). Playing without a VP can help with that. But on slow ballads, or even long notes in hot songs, what you see is that they jerk the pedal back slightly to attack the note, and gradually increase the pedal to exactly match the string vibration die-off, so there is an even, solid sustain, with no swell.

The best way I have found to practice that is to play slow stuff and concentrate on getting the jerk back to the same spot each time, and always getting a nice even sustain. You can practice it with slow scales (which can be harmonized for chords), but it is less boring to practice it with slow ballads. Also, stately hymns are very good for practicing this. Bach corales are ideal. All of that also helps you learn to work the right knee levers while maintaining even volume.
Mitch Adelman

Post by Mitch Adelman »

Thanks Dave. Thats what I was looking for. I used to practice without a volume pedal (as Jeff Newman told me to do) but when I get on stage with one, its like its not even there since I spent all my practice time on my right and left hands.I'm not comfortable with it and then I tend to not use it correctly to its full potential. Its kind of like a drummer only practicing on practice pads till his gig then plays out on a full kit. So maybe a person should practice real gig simulations with the pedal hooked up working it all together with his left and right hand skills.I started doing that this week with my Hilton because as some of you said the more time you use a volume pedal the more it is infused into your sound and the ear- foot- knee- hand coordinations (at the risk of developing bad habits.) I guess nothing becomes second nature without chair time!Thanks all.
Marc Jenkins

Post by Marc Jenkins »

I've found it helpful to practice picking technique without the pedal. I also specifically practice volume pedal technique, and practice my parts for songs as I'll play them live.

I think a good balance is key.
Jonathan Cullifer

Post by Jonathan Cullifer »

I dealt with overcontrolling the volume pedal for a long time. Picking technique can eliminate the sharp attacks that make some of it necessary. Like others have said, it also comes with being able to focus more on the sound than how it's being made; it just comes naturally. Mostly it takes a lot of time and practice.

Another thing that sometimes helped me understand the power effect of a volume pedal was videotaping myself with a band and listening to how it affected things out front. Often it's hard to tell how much effect the VP has out front just based on the sound you hear yourself while you're playing.
Carroll Hale

Post by Carroll Hale »

I adjust the volume on my amp to the highest setting I would need for the venue....then I have a small rubber stopper taped to the frame under the back of the pedal which allow me to go to a lower volume (without completely stopping) while he singing is happening...then I can just ramp up to the higher volume for lead parts....works for me.. and does not offend other players.....sometimes a mid range vol is needed...but not too often...
ch
Tim Lane

record yourself

Post by Tim Lane »

I found when I had been playing a few years, I thought I was getting pretty good with a volume pedal, that is until I recorded myself. If you have the means to do so, record something you're comfortable playing and play it back. You might be suprised.
Tony Prior

Post by Tony Prior »

If you are having the famous SWELL issue, pull the volume pedal out from under your foot and replace it with an 8" 2x4. Put your foot on that and get used to playing with your foot raised and flat. Do this for a while and then go back to the V Pedal. If the swell is still there go back to the 2x4.....and on and on...

I also feel that Herbs comments regarding use are right on the button.
Donny Hinson

Post by Donny Hinson »

Exaggerated pumping actions are definitely a no-no.

Pick the strings properly, and the picks don't make clicking, scraping, and buzzing sounds! Many players, at first, try to use the volume pedal to cover up bad habits and poor technique..."sneaking" into notes with the pedal off, and then raising the volume after the string is picked. That's NOT something that should be done regularly!

Jim and Herb are right. Generally, the less you "work" the volume pedal, the better off you are. Watch the pros, and usually, you'll barely be able to see their foot move.
Bobbe Seymour

Post by Bobbe Seymour »

A lot of good advice here, Herb, Donny but most of all, I like what Jim Sliff said.

The less it is noticed, the better, practice without it, remember, many great players played a whole career without one.

I can't stand hearing a pedal pumped with the volume going up and down continuously.

As a matter of fact, I feel I can tell how long a person has been playing by how he or she works the volume pedal. You can sure tell how bad a person play using this method also! Ha!