Trouble with wireless router security setup

The machines we love to hate

Moderator: Wiz Feinberg

Colby Tipton

Trouble with wireless router security setup

Post by Colby Tipton »

I just installed a Dynex "G" wireless router in line with my DSL modem and no matter what security settings I try to use the pass phrase will not work with the Intel Pro/Wireless card in my lap top computer.
I have been messing with this thing for hours and it is about to get me p@#!&%,.
Could I be doing something wrong?
The instructions on the set up program seem to be straight forward and don't seem to be confusing.
Help!
Wiz Feinberg

Post by Wiz Feinberg »

Without revealing the pass-phrase you are trying to use, please outline the steps you have taken to try to get connected to this router. Include whether you are using Windows zero configuration wireless networking, or a networking utility supplied by the wireless adapter manufacturer.

If you believe that you have configured the router and laptop properly, but the laptop still won't connect to your router, the problem may be caused by interference from another wireless "device." That device could be a wireless 2.4 Ghz phone base unit nearby, or a microwave oven, or another router within your range.
"Wiz" Feinberg, Moderator SGF Computers Forum
Security Consultant
Twitter: @Wizcrafts
Main web pages: Wiztunes Steel Guitar website | Wiz's Security Blog | My Webmaster Services | Wiz's Security Blog
Colby Tipton

Post by Colby Tipton »

Wiz,

1. Hooked up the wireless router as per instructions from the manufacturer.
2. Inserted the setup disk in my DVD player on my base computer and followed instructions for basic setup.
3. Entered the security setup utility on the disk and followed all instructions for setting up security, i.e., setup security level and pass phrase etc...
4. Tried to connect to the router with my laptop computer and a message comes up that says wrong pass phrase, see person that set up security for correct pass phrase.
Matters not wich security level I try to set it up on.

I can't figure out If I need to install a utility from the disk to my laptop???
Maybe I'm missing something.
Do I need to do some kind of special setup on my laptop?

Thanks
Colby
Wiz Feinberg

Post by Wiz Feinberg »

Colby;
Connect the laptop to the router via an Ethernet cable, if possible. The router should assign the laptop an IP address. At this time you should be able to log into the router's browser-based interface. You will have to read the manual, or spec sheet for the router to find the IP address of the router. You would then open your chosen browser (Firefox, Opera, or Internet Exploder) and type http:// plus the IP address of the router and press Enter. Most routers use a private IP address of 192.168.0.1, or 192.168.1.1, or 192.168.1.254, or something similar, but others use 10.0.0.x numbers.

Once you find the correct IP, login and investigate all of the available options for the router. One that is most important is the Administrator login password. Set and apply a password before doing anything else.

Look through the various links and tabs until you find one that (hopefully) displays your personal encryption code, then copy and paste the code into your wireless card's configuration field, where it asks for the encryption code used by the router. SAve that code, but make sure you select the same type of encryption that the router shows as being used.

If you have copied and pasted the code correctly, you should now be able to remove the Ethernet cable and let the wireless utility (or Windows Zero Configuration Wireless Networking) find the network and log onto it. You may have to paste the code twice.
Security Consultant
Main web pages: Wiztunes Steel Guitar website | Wiz's Security Blog | My Webmaster Services | Wiz's Security Blog
Colby Tipton

Post by Colby Tipton »

Thanks Wiz,
I'll give it a shot and see what happens.

Colby
Colby Tipton

Post by Colby Tipton »

I guess I'm going to have too call the router manufacturers Tech assistense line.
I just can't figure this thing out.
Wish me luck, I know that when I push 1 for Enlish I'll probably get Etheopian.
I sure wish I could have made this thing work without having to call them.
Wiz Feinberg

Post by Wiz Feinberg »

Colby;
Your tech support person will be in Bangalore, India, not Ethopia!

I just noticed in one of your earlier replies that you ran the setup DVD on your "base PC." You never mentioned whether you also ran in on the laptop. That setup, should it contain all of the necessary connection specifics, would need to be run on all computers in the location.
Security Consultant
Colby Tipton

Post by Colby Tipton »

Wiz,
I only ran the setup disk on my home computer,
I didn't run it on the laptop.
Heck, I thought the laptop would pick up the radio signal from the router and I'd be on my way.
I guess I was stupid again.
I'll try the disk in the laptop too.
I'll do anything to save my nerves from having to talk to someone I can't understand.
Wish me luck again.
Wiz Feinberg

Post by Wiz Feinberg »

Let me know if this solves your problem.
Security Consultant