For Reese Anderson

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Jason Lee

For Reese Anderson

Post by Jason Lee »

Hi Reese, I've just purchased my first pedal steel guitar and I'm proud to say it's a beautiful Rosewood MSA Classic. I've seen you give the date of birth for other MSA's here on the forum and was wondering if you wouldn't mind telling me about my guitar too? The serial number is 1C1649.
Reece Anderson

Post by Reece Anderson »

Jason....First of all may I thank you for choosing an MSA. Welcome to the MSA family.

Serial number 1C1649 shows to be a rosewood single neck 10 string which left the factory with 5 pedals and 4 knee levers.

Its original destination was a company called CMI, who was our distributor at the time located in Chicago. They of course sold it to a Music store, however our tracking record ends with CMI.

Your guitar was born on January 7th 1974.
Jason Lee

Post by Jason Lee »

Reece, this is incredible, thank you for responding to my post so quickly. I bought the guitar from a man in Minnesota so it's pretty neat finding out that the guitar was originally shipped to Chicago over 30 years ago, it's sort of come home I guess. Thanks for all the info and your kind welcome to the MSA family. I'm loving my Classic more and more everyday!
Lynn Griffith

Guitar Travels

Post by Lynn Griffith »

That's a cool story!
Brian Allen

MSA Age

Post by Brian Allen »

Hi Reece, I'm a new member of the forum, however my MSA D10 Ser. # 2C 1804 has been part of the family for 19 years. ( labeled - final assembly by Bud Carter). I swear its put on a few pounds in the last couple of years, but she's by far the best steel I've ever owned or played. Would you be kind
enough to look up her birthday for me? Thanks, Brian Allen
Reece Anderson

Post by Reece Anderson »

Brian....Thank you for being a part of the MSA family for so many years.

Serial number 2C-1804 shows to be a black double 10 which left the factory with 8 pedals and 2 knee levers. Your guitar was originally shipped to our distributor in Chicago who would have sold it to a Music dealer. Your guitar was born on February 1st 1974.

I appreciate your positive and kind comments about your guitar.
Dag Wolf

Post by Dag Wolf »

Hi Reece,
A friend of mine just bought 2C2244. Do you have any info on that steel?

Thanks,
Dag
Reece Anderson

Post by Reece Anderson »

Dag....2C-2244 shows to be a white double 10 which left the factory with 8 pedals and 2 knee levers. Its orginal destination was our distributor in Chicago. Your friends guitar was born on March 18th 1974.

Please convey our appreciation to him for playing an MSA.
Darvin Willhoite

Post by Darvin Willhoite »

Wow, '74 must have been a busy year for MSA. Reece, do you know how many guitars you actually built in '74? I have a Classic D10 from that year also.
Darvin Willhoite
MSA Millennium, Legend, and Studio Pro, Reese's restored Universal Direction guitar, as well as some older MSAs, several amps, new and old, and a Kemper Powerhead that I am really liking. Recently added a Zum D10, a Mullen RP, and a restored blue Rose, named the "Blue Bird" to the herd. Also, I have acquired and restored the plexiglass D10 MSA Classic again that was built as a demo in the early '70s. I also added a '74 lacquer P/P, with wood necks.
Dag Wolf

Post by Dag Wolf »

Thanks Reece :D

Dag
Robert C. McKee

Post by Robert C. McKee »

Reece, if you wouldn't mind just 1 more..I purchased used, 1 month ago, from original owner, MSA SuperSustain ll XL D-10 Serial #2C6701 Any info??? Thanks, Bob
Reece Anderson

Post by Reece Anderson »

Darvin....Without doing extensive research I can't provide you a good number on how many MSA's were built in 1974, but I can tell you the numbers would be surprising for most.

Robert....Its never a bother to me to provide information about our guitars. I'm honored there are those who think enough of their guitars to ask for the history.

Your black double 10 left the factory with 8 pedals and 4 knee levers. Its original destination was Ron's Music, location unknown. Sorry, but the specific date of birth was not enetered into record.

Thank you for becoming part of the MSA family.
Robert C. McKee

Post by Robert C. McKee »

Thanks Reece for your time and trouble. It's still the same as it was built, so that's nice to know. I had hoped to at least pin down a year of manufacture, but I understand. You're a great help to many of us, Reece, and we all appreciate it. Thank you once again. Bob
Brian Allen

Post by Brian Allen »

Reece,

I just received a beautiful Blue lacquer MSA S10 ( 1976 ) 5x4, S.# 1C5204
from Al Vesel. Where could I get instructions for disassembly and cleaning ?
Unfortunately, the finish was damaged during shipping ( UPS) so I also need
your advice on where to have her properly refinished. This is a museum quality lady.
TXS, Brian Allen
Bill Hatcher

Post by Bill Hatcher »

Brian Allen wrote:Reece,

I just received a beautiful Blue lacquer MSA S10 ( 1976 ) 5x4, S.# 1C5204
from Al Vesel. Where could I get instructions for disassembly and cleaning ?
Unfortunately, the finish was damaged during shipping ( UPS) so I also need
your advice on where to have her properly refinished. This is a museum quality lady.
TXS, Brian Allen
You sure you want to strip off a 30+ year old finish and spray on a new soft finish that will surely change the sound of the guitar. It will take many years for that finish to harden up and sound like it does now.
Brian Allen

Post by Brian Allen »

Thanks Bill, I used the wrong term. I have no intention of stripping
off the original finish. I'm asking who would be best to REPAIR the damage,
which is a small area of lacquer 'chipped' out to the bare wood. I think this was caused by pressure transmitted through the changer when the package was dropped. The wood itself is undamaged. The right color of lacquer has to be built up through successive applications, which is going to take some time. Sadly, the case has to be replaced, and UPS is not being very receptive to my
claim.

Brian Allen
Bill Hatcher

Post by Bill Hatcher »

Whewww....thought you were going to strip it! Great that it is just one spot. You will be very hard pressed to get that fixed and perfectly matched. That is a hard repair.
Mike Perlowin

Post by Mike Perlowin »

There is a guy out here named Jim Foote who can do it. Jim is a genius at this sort of thing. I had a similar problem on my green steel and he did a wonderful restoreing it, including the gold trim. You absolutely cannot see where the guitar was damaged and repaired.

Here is his contact info

Music Works
Jim Foote
4711 Artesia Blvd
Lawndale, CA 90260
310 379 5194
Please visit my web site and Soundcloud page and listen to the music posted there.
http://www.mikeperlowin.com http://soundcloud.com/mike-perlowin