Another New Guy!

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

L. Blake Bowthorpe

Another New Guy!

Post by L. Blake Bowthorpe »

Greeting's all i just joined, i've been on the out-side lookin in briefly for aboot 6 month's. I will be 48 later this month. I work as a Mason-Builder in the Salt Lake City area. I don't have much of a background in music, i did play the drum's in the Jr. high band, and later a garage band, that's been over 30 yrs ago. I absolutely love the Pedal Steel Guitar, & Classic-country-honky-tonk music, so i decided to try and learn to play, and boy is it tough,I have the upmost respect for you guys that can play!, "your gods" in my book . Any-who i took lesson's briefly from an older gentleman a certain George Best out here, i didn't feel i was gaining anything got discouraged & quit. I attended the Show in St.Louis this past fall, and bought the beginner course from Jeff Newmans wife,and i just attended the Show in Phoenix, it was incredible, saw so many amazing player's so any word's of encouragment or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you-sincerely Blake
Brian Folks

Post by Brian Folks »

Hi there Blake and welcome to this awesome Forum where you will learn a whole lot about the Pedal Steel Guitar I guarantee you...the main thing is to hang in there and don't get discouraged or intimadated with this wonderful but frustating stringed Instrument, you will progress with a lot of practice and patience...and good Instructional material...Take care and enjoy...Brian
Mack Quinney

Post by Mack Quinney »

Hi Blake,
Small world. I lived in Riverton (just south of Salt Lake) about seven years ago. Utah is a beautiful state.

Stick with it. As I stated in my other post, I play a lot of instruments but I have to say the steel is the hardest instrument that I have tried to learn. (Ok fiddle is harder, but the steel is close second)

Keep at it, once you make some progress it's a blast to play. It take a while to figure it out.

Mack
76 Emmons Push Pull, Williams 600, ShoBud Pro I, MSA Classic, Remington SteelMaster dbl 8, MSA Super Slide dbl 8, Gold Tone 6, And other instruments and equipment I can't afford.
Don Brown, Sr.

Post by Don Brown, Sr. »

Mack, the fiddle was easy as compared to Pedal Steel. Or at least for me it was. Bowing technique was the most difficult, but not all that bad, as compared.

Blake welcome, and, the Key is not to get discouraged and keep picking, it will take quite a few years of practice, practice and more practice, but if you want it bad enough it will come. Don
L. Blake Bowthorpe

Thank you all for the kind words of encouragment, Mack your Right, Utah is incredibly beautiful, unfortunately not much of a country music scene out here.I'm actually in South Jordan so we were neighbors 7 yrs ago. Last year i met an incredible player out here he lived in West Jordan a certain Duane Reece is his name, he also moved to Texas to further his Steel playing.best of luck to all of you sincerely Blake
Chuck Thompson

Post by Chuck Thompson »

hiya blake - this place is great!! :)
James Morehead

Post by James Morehead »

Welcome from Oklahoma, Blake, you want to learn the pedal steel, tackle it one brick at a time. Practice until you are sick of it, then practice some more!!
Charles Davidson

Post by Charles Davidson »

Welcome Blake,from Alabama,seems we're getting more members that love classic country,that's good.DYKBC.
Hard headed, opinionated old geezer. BAMA CHARLIE. GOD BLESS AMERICA. ANIMAL RIGHTS ACTIVIST. SUPPORT LIVE MUSIC !
Jim Walker

Post by Jim Walker »

Welcome LBB!

JW
Show Pro D10, Session 400
Shorty Smith

Post by Shorty Smith »

Welcome Blake, Jim Walker, you look so cool
Bent Romnes

Post by Bent Romnes »

Welcome Blake!
Stick around and you will learn plenty
Have fun!
Bent
L. Blake Bowthorpe

Thank's to all for your kind word's & acceptance.It's snowed out here most all week,too cold & wet to lay brick's, so i've been home-bound, and been able to watch & play my new DVD with Jeff Newman!, YEE-HAW!!.I'll keep on a tryin!
Sandra Harlor

Post by Sandra Harlor »

Welcome Blake. I'm a newbie too about 3 months.
Do you have Jeff Newman's course "The Right Hand Alpha"
It is fantastic. I'm working real hard on it at the moment.
Cheers
Sandra :)
Bent Romnes

Post by Bent Romnes »

Sandra,
I have it too. Look simple enough but it's a tough one isn't it? Takes a loooong time before it gets to be second nature...
Sandra Harlor

Post by Sandra Harlor »

Very true...it is tough to do it right.
Very important not to start out with bad habits.
Keep at it...practice makes perfect. :)
Kjell Ohlsson

Post by Kjell Ohlsson »

From one newbie to another,
welcome to the forum Blake. Just like me you will find out that this is the right place to gain knowledge in how to improve your steel guitar skills.
Keep up the good work !
//Kjell
Black Emmons L LGII D10 9+6,BOSS RV3, TubeFex, Fender Steel King, Hilton & Goodrich vol.ped, Fender 60th Anniversary Telecaster, Fender Twin Reverb 65 ReIssue, Volvo V70,
Dick Wood

Post by Dick Wood »

Howdy from Texas Blake.
John Richmond

Post by John Richmond »

Welcome, Blake, to the best place for anyone who loves or wants to learn to play steel guitar. Back in the late 1970's a band I was with played a one-nighter in Monticello and did a two-week engagement in Vernal, home of Richie Albright, who was Waylon's tasteful drummer. We had a blast up there, saw some beautiful country and met some great people. We even got over to Flaming Gorge for some water-skiing, which was fantastic. Those were some good times.
Take care, and have fun with your steel.
Regards, John Richmond

i
L. Blake Bowthorpe

Thank's again to you all, Sandra yes i am working on the Right hand alpha !,Man that blockin the string's is way harder than "Blockin" the Wall lol. John, i learned something new, ive loved Waylon for years i had no idea Richie was from Vernal Utah, and in my opinion who visited the most gorgeous place in Utah, Flaming Gorge in the Uinta national forest, has always been a favorite place for our family, our family has been going up there for aboot 40 yrs now. In fact i recently purchased some acreage in Beautiful Manila utah only 5 mile's from the lake on the North slope of the Uinta's, i'm now working on designing a Home, hope to get started this Summer. Any-who thank's again too you all and take care, and good luck!.