Would you?

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Ronny Line

Would you?

Post by Ronny Line »

I have a double neck Mci range expander. My friend wants to trade me a 2007 GFI ultra on a double frame with pad. It has 3 pedals and 5 knees. Do you think this would be an even swap? I know what my MCI is, but dont know much about GFI. Any help
Lee Baucum

Post by Lee Baucum »

I don't think I would.
Jim Harper

Post by Jim Harper »

No, i sure would not trade==Jim Harper
Jerry Roller

Post by Jerry Roller »

:)
Last edited by Jerry Roller on 6 Feb 2008 8:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Richard Sinkler

Post by Richard Sinkler »

The questions you should ask yourself are:

1. Do you like the MCI?
2. Do you play or intend to play the C6th?
3. Have you played the GFI and do you like it?

I don't know anything about the values of these guitars, but If you feel that it is a good trade, go for it. I am sure there are going to be posts coming along on the values of these guitars, but I say do what you feel is in your best interest.

I have heard nothing but good things about both guitars.

Edited:
Well, Jerry just gave you the scoop on the values. If you think you have to trade dollar for dollar, then I wouldn't do it. Otherwise I would do it. If you're looking to just go single 10, then either trade or sell the MCI and buy a single neck (probably the better choice).
Carter D10 8p/8k, Dekley S10 3p/4k C6 setup,Regal RD40 Dobro, NV400, NV112 . Playing for 53 years and still counting.
Brett Day

Post by Brett Day »

Ronny, GFI was built by Gene Fields in Arlington, Texas. GFI started in 1989 and in 1992, GFI built their first pro model steel.

Brett
Dale Hansen

Post by Dale Hansen »

Ronny, I concur with Richard on this one.

However, I believe that you have already mulled over question #2 before now, or you wouldn't even be considering it.

I also know that there is nothing more miserable than putting up with a cantankerous guitar.(speaking from my own experience)

My push-pull often had PMS, and hated my guts from day one, brand new in 84'.
Many a night I left a club gig feeling whipped like a one legged dwarf in an ass kickin' contest.

A buddy of mine, Charlie Whitten, has forsaken the C6th neck, and recently purchased the same double frame 2007 GFI that you described above.
In fact, we both bought GFI's at the same time, and we both really love em'. It's a real pleasure to play a guitar that fits, and feels good. We've even tricked them out a little to make them smoother, and quieter.
Charlie is a new Forum member, and a great player.
You can hear him play on a few Judd's shows from the 80's, over in Wolfgangs Vault.

Do what you feel is right, but don't let yourself get ripped off either.
A. J. Schobert

Post by A. J. Schobert »

I don't think I would.

off course that is provided your guitar and the gfi are in the same condition.
Donny Hinson

Post by Donny Hinson »

Values for both guitars right now would be close, probably around 2 grand. (That might change in a few years, though.) So, it boils down to how bad you want a newer, lighter, single-neck guitar.
Chris LeDrew

Post by Chris LeDrew »

I'd stay with the MCI. Those guitars have an incredible sound. You'll want it back if you let it go. You can get a brand new SD10 GFI Ultra for a good bit under $2,000 at the right vendor, while the MCI is already worth more and will appreciate with time.
Jackson Steel Guitars
Web: www.chrisledrew.com
Ronny Line

Would you?

Post by Ronny Line »

Thanks everyone for your input. I think Ill go with my gut feeling and keep the mci. I know gfi makes a good guitar but I dont think it will keep its value as well as my mci. The lighter weight of the gfi really does not appeal to me. I like my guitar kinda like I like my women. A little on the heavy side. (please dont show this to my wife) Thanks guys