Pedal Steel History Book

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Alan Brookes

Post by Alan Brookes »

When you start taking orders put me on your list. A book like yours has been long needed.
Kevin Hatton

Post by Kevin Hatton »

I'm wondering if they'll be a chapter on "Cabinet Drop". I really agree with a section on the Sacred Steelers.
Jim Florence

Post by Jim Florence »

Basil's right, We are limited in our knowlege of the rest of the world. I'm retired USAF, and spent a lot of time overseas, however I never got to Europe. At St. Louis a couple of years back, I was talking to a steel player from Norway, and you should have seen the look on his face when I inocently asked him "What kind of music do you guys play there?" Answer "Country"
I felt a little stupid,
Can't win'em all.
Jim
basilh

Post by basilh »

Any more news on the subject ?
'cause I've more to add :-

C Dixon

Post by C Dixon »

I really do NOT know what to say...

Until seeing this thread tonight, I had NO idea Paul Franklin was thinking about a book being written on the "pedal steel guitar". What is even more, I had NO idea he referred to it as the 'evolution' of the Pedal steel Guitar. Which is what I named my book, that is for sale on this forum.

I understand if Paul or anyone else does not believe me, but as I stand on this planet, I did not know any of this before just a few moments ago.

I have spoken to Paul in numerous emails lately, and none of the above was ever discussed. I am aghast.

Had I known it, I would never have taken on the task of writing the book; which I started and finished in May of this year.

I wish to publicly apologize to Paul, and to any other person(s) who may be involved with ALL of the above posts (including this thread). But I simply did NOT know any of this was going on.

About 5 ys ago, I was contacted by a person in europe, about writing a book on the "Pedal Steel Guitar" as a sequel to Lorene Ruymar's book titled "The Hawaian Steel Guitar" foreworded by Jerry Byrd which was first published about 10 yrs ago. I declined. But I continued to get emails asking me to do it. I continued to decline until something led me to do it (out of the blue) this past May.

I then had it copyrighted and I am self publishing it. I have sold some on this forum as of this date.

I feel awful about this. I shall contact Paul immediately, and personally apologize for what appears to be an infringement on someone else's idea. But Jesus as my witness, I knew nothing of this.

It if be his desire, I will cease and desist in ANY and EVERY effort concerning this book.

There is less than 50 that have been given away in promotion and/or sold so far. So hopefully little damage is done. But I am sick about this and I am sincerely sorry.

c.
A broken heart + † = a new heart.
Brint Hannay

Post by Brint Hannay »

Carl, it seems to me there's room in the world for two, or more, books on the subject of the history of pedal steel guitar, just like any other subject. I don't see where you have anything to apologize for whatsoever.
Jody Sanders

Post by Jody Sanders »

Clell Sumney is said to have played steel guitar on an early recording by Ernest Tubb, Early 30's . He was known as "Cousin' Jody in later years. Jody.
basilh

Re: Brandon Barker: Pedal Steel History/ Book

Post by basilh »

Carl, It's not Paul who's writing the book, he was just interviewed by the author Brandon Barker, incidentally, we've not heard from him since THIS post :
Gregg Galbraith wrote:Greetings to all,
My name is Brandon Barker (I'll be posting under Gregg Galbraith's screen name while my paperwork is being processed). First, may I say that I am excited to chat with and learn from the members of this forum.
A bit about myself: I am a folklorist finishing my PhD at the University of Louisiana. I studied under Dr. Charles Wolfe at MTSU and am taking up his torch with this project as he understood that no complete book on the pedal steel has ever been written.
At this point of the project, I am especially interested in the specifics of the historical development of the pedal steel (although the book will also cover important players and builders).
I have created an email account for this purpose: pedalsteelhistory@gmail.com. Though I will check the forum as often as possible, I can more easily organize the information I receive via emails. I welcome all legitimate contributions; this includes names of people I should contact (and means to contact them when possible), general information about the history of the steel, and places where specific information can be found (especially written information). Look forward to hearing from you all.
Thanks,
Brandon Barker
Your book Carl is YOUR book and it's out, it would appear that Brandon's book is still somewhat embryonic..Look at it like this ' there are many books called the bible, it just depends on your standpoint as to which one you use as a definitive reference, I'd be pretty certain that YOUR book on steel guitar would be the most informed and definitive source..and, I believe that your hand was guided somewhat..
Alan Brookes

Post by Alan Brookes »

Basil: If you put together everything you've submitted to this discussion we've got most of the book already. I know you're very busy but perhaps the best person to write the book... maybe during that long drawn-our retirement that will never happen... is Basil Henriques. :D
basilh

Post by basilh »

Alan, whilst I really appreciate your opinion, I genuinely think that Carl is the foremost expert around on the history and development of the PEDAL steel guitar, its players and tunings, which is what this is about..

The history of the Hawaiian Guitar from day 1 up to it's evolving into the pedal steel hasn't been covered by one book, but there are quite a few that are fairly comprehensive. Professor Antony Lis' articles chronicling the early players is probably the most detailed and will be published in its entirety next year. The American distributors will likely be Elderly Music.. as with Keith Grant's directory of Hawaiian Record Collectors..
I'm not sure that any one individual on one continent can possibly cover the complete scenario re the Hawaiian Guitar and its players as it developed simultaneously on various continents, on the other hand I DO believe that the pedal steel has been, from its 'infant' stages up 'till now, mainly a "Stateside" experience, therefore, one of the "Stateside" guru's should write the history.

As far as a definitive "All Encompassing History of the Hawaiian Guitar", a collaboration of experts like John Marsden from the UK, Gerrit Venema from Holland, Anthony Lis, Andy Volk and Lorraine Rymar from the USA, Keith Grant from Japan and Malcolm Rockwell from Hawaii COULD be the way to go.. (Bruce would have been a great asset for Australasia..)
Just my thoughts, and of course the history of the Hawaiian Guitar and its musicians in the UK is probably the limit of my expertise..
Alan Brookes

Post by Alan Brookes »

There's such a wealth of knowledge out there amongst all you members that an all-encompassing book is going to resemble the Encyclopaedia Britannica. I guess we have to consider the reading public who are going to buy it. I'm thinking a book similar to Andy Volk's book on the Lap Steel woud be about the right size. Much bigger and it would have a very restricted sales potential.