What options do I have as a new pedaller??

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Stephen Gambrell

Post by Stephen Gambrell »

Dustin, what you've seen here, is that a LOT of great steels are being built today. Some of the student models are rather inflexible, and if you intend to buy only one steel guitar, you'll want the flexibility to add or remove pedals or knee levers.
The ideal situation would be for you to go to a big show, or a store like Bobbe's in Nashville, or Billy Cooper's in Virginia. If you're tall, or have long legs, you'll probably want an SD-10. Just easier to get your legs under.
Dustin Rhodes

Post by Dustin Rhodes »

Is 6' with a 34" inseam considered tall?
chris ivey

Post by chris ivey »

2600 bucks should buy you practically anything short of a brand new guitar.....stay away from intro/beginner/student models. i have three d10 pro model steels..emmons/zum 9+7...i wouldn't expect to get more than that out of any of them....someone trying to get more out of you for less is a shallow, not nice, capitalist rip off type of human....well...that's my opinion!
Mike Perlowin

Post by Mike Perlowin »

Please visit my web site and Soundcloud page and listen to the music posted there.
http://www.mikeperlowin.com http://soundcloud.com/mike-perlowin
Stephen Gambrell

Post by Stephen Gambrell »

Dustin Rhodes wrote:Is 6' with a 34" inseam considered tall?
Yep. With your legs, especially if you ever intend to play in boots, that's tall. Might even need a lift kit. I'm 6'5", so I can't get under ANYTHING off the rack :) .
With 2600.00 to play with, like the man said, you should be able to get an SD-10 from just about anybody! Most of the above makers have websites, and the websites have phone numbers, where you can call and actually talk to the guy who's gonna build your guitar. Course, everybody's gonna tell you his guitar's the best, but listen to the guys who're willing to help you AFTER the sale.
Don Brown, Sr.

Post by Don Brown, Sr. »

That looks to be a nice one with a great price. Five raise and three lower, won't be going out of style anytime soon.
Dustin Rhodes

Post by Dustin Rhodes »

Don Brown, Sr. wrote:That looks to be a nice one with a great price. Five raise and three lower, won't be going out of style anytime soon.
But purple?? :?
Tony Prior

Post by Tony Prior »

This is a hefty $$$ purchase, do your research and be wise.

Getting to a shop like Bobbe Seymours or Billy Coopers is great advice, worth the trip.

I like what Stepehen said about the SD10 , for long legs that makes sense. I have two short legs so it is no issue for me !

There are many here with tons of experience that will offer advice, there are also many with limited or no experience that will offer advice which is not a bad thing but still is part of the equation.

My take is if you are already thinking about upgrading, then a PRO E9th with 4 plus 5 will be your best bang for the buck right now. If Swing and Jazz are an element of your style add the C6th, get a D10 and don't look back. There are no student D10's so brand choice is wide open.

my take, 40 years on the bandstand, still doing it. I am into my 11th or 12th Steel. I play a 2004 Carter D10 / 9+8.

good luck
tp
Bob Hoffnar

Post by Bob Hoffnar »

Dustin,
Check you PM. Your email doesn't seem to work. I may have some ideas for you.

Bob
Martin Zak

What sould I buy???

Post by Martin Zak »

Hi Dustin: Get yourself the best, get a Mullen. Awesome instrument, awesome sound!! You won't regret it! Regards.....Martin Zak
Dustin Rhodes

Post by Dustin Rhodes »

Bob Hoffnar wrote:Dustin,
Check you PM. Your email doesn't seem to work. I may have some ideas for you.

Bob
I think that email address may be from my last job. :lol:

I'm checking them now.
Wayne Baker

Options...

Post by Wayne Baker »

Ifin' your gonna do it, do it right... Emmons

Wayne Baker
John P. Phillips

Post by John P. Phillips »

Nobody's mentioned MSA yet ! I recently got a S-10 classic. It's very upgradeable, easy action. Only thing is it's built like a tank.I'm 66 years old and can't lift it but a younger or healther man could handle it. Geez I guess I need to get me a roadie ! :lol:
Just remember,
You don�t stop playing cause you get older,
You get older cause you stop playing ! http://www.myspace.com/johnpphillips