Mullen G2

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Mike Mantey

Mullen G2

Post by Mike Mantey »

We have not been able to attend many shows, like we would have liked. So I am asking what's your take on the G2. I know by my orders, how it is going, but I would like to hear from some of you.
Mike Mantey
President and C.E.O.
Mullen Guitar Co., Inc.
(970) 664-2518
sales@mullenguitars.com
www.mullenguitars.com
Steve English

Post by Steve English »

I was able to hear 3 players on the Mullen G3 at The SWSGA show this weekend; Austin Stewart & Jerry Newberry, and the amazing Tommy Dodd.

The Mullen guitars sounded incredible. Beautiful rich tone, clarity across all strings, aurguably the best sounding guitars at the show!

Don't see how you can go wrong with one of these.
Always remember you're unique..... Just like everyone else
Mike Mantey

Post by Mike Mantey »

Thank You for that Steve. I have heard the same comment by a few that attended the show as well. Just so you know it is a G2 not G3, no biggy though, you got Mullen right. Sure wish we made that show.
Buck Grantham

New G2

Post by Buck Grantham »

I'll be listening to some of them over at the Branson show in a few weeks . I've heard the "pre G2" and it sounded great so I am looking forward to hearing the real thing. The Mullen has been the most reliable steel I ever owned and they stay in tune and that in itself is a big plus. Buck Grantham
Curtis Nicely

Post by Curtis Nicely »

I played (messed around really) with one of the g2's at the SWSGA and, those are the BEST pedals I have ever felt. Like glass, I thought I was in heaven. I can't wait for my g2 to get here tomm!!! 8)

Knee lever action was 10/10. Just an absolute beaut (and monster) of a guitar.
Mullen G2, 1978 Homegrown uni, 1964 Twin Reverb, LTD. 400

I still can't play!
Tom Mossburg

Mullen G2

Post by Tom Mossburg »

As said above, Tommy Dodd played one in his Saturday set at the Phoenix show. He absolutely burned it up. Awesome tone and it looked great!
Tommy Dodd

Post by Tommy Dodd »

First, let me thank Steve and Tom for their kind words about my sets in Phoenix this past weekend. I had a great time there and the SWSGA should be very proud of the show they produced for all of us to enjoy. Everyone was raving about the sound, the video, the quality of the talent, the weather! Everything was fantastic.

As you know,it has become very difficult, and/or expensive, to fly a steel guitar to any gig. Therefore, I chose to borrow or rent a guitar for the Phoenix show. I had initially made arrangements to use an Emmons Legrande III owned by Carrol Garvin. Carrol is one of the nicest and most generous gentlemen I have ever met and has always treated us "Easterners" very kindly. However, in talking with Jerry Newberry just before my set on Thursday I told him my reservations about using the Legrande because of the knee lever setup and also the guitar was standard height. (I normally have my guitars built 1 1/2" taller.) He offered me the use of Austin's new G2 that had a very similar setup to my own guitar and also was taller than standard. When I first sat down behind the guitar it just felt plain comfortable. And, it sounded great in the Mullen demo room, too. So, with no reservations I took the stage with a guitar I had just met an hour before showtime and had a great feel for it. The guitar was very responsive, very solid, very smooth, and sounded like I wanted it to sound on stage. My sincere thanks to Jerry and Austin, and my thanks to Del Mullen for producing a fine guitar like the G2. Sounded like a winner to me.
Mike Mantey

Post by Mike Mantey »

Thanks for the response. I keep hearing from everyone how great Tommy and Newberry sounded at the show. And Austin, well what can I say....Amazing.

Buck you should recall the ones we had in St. Louis.

We look forward to building many for the great steel guitar community.

Can't go wrong with a Mullen.

Also Mullen customers, we now have a new parts page on our website. Check it out for everything from bushings to bellcranks.
www.mullenguitars.com
Steve English

Post by Steve English »

Sorry 'bout my typo....
But Tommy Dodd really did make that G2 sound at least one better!! :)
Always remember you're unique..... Just like everyone else
Terry Kinnear

Post by Terry Kinnear »

Hi Mike, I love my new mullen G2 , number 4 It is so smooth . The tone is what i was looking for. i played Tommy Allison , royal p . I was planning on buying, a royal. what a steel ,that was. Then , i was talking to you about the royal , and you told me about the G2. Man, i glad i bought the G2. I"am a beginner on the steel,at best. The G2 makes me sound better, than i am. I have had it since sept. I have yet , had to change strings,[ due for a change now]..Thank you for a Great steel guitar. It stays in tune. fun,to play ,even if i can"t play that great, I look good sitting behind it. ps ,what the back neck for ? working on the back neck,after i get the front one figuired out. lots of luck,to me. Thanks Mike Mantey, you are the best in the business. Tk
Terry Kinnear [ steel wondering]
George Duncan Sypert

Post by George Duncan Sypert »

Jerry Newberry also allowed me to play the G2 on my set with about 10 minutes getting acquainted time. The guitar played great and would have been perfect with a little more time for adjustments. I only arrived a few minutes before my set so it was a little rushed. Jerry was very helpful and it was appreciated. Hope to spend a little more time on one at Dallas.

Hope Dixie is doing better.
George
Ernest Cawby

G2

Post by Ernest Cawby »

I am still waiting to hear from Roger crawford on his G2, He must be waiting to tell us at saluda.

ernie
Curtis Nicely

Post by Curtis Nicely »

Some pics of my G2

Mullen G2, 1978 Homegrown uni, 1964 Twin Reverb, LTD. 400

I still can't play!
Howard Tate

Post by Howard Tate »

If it plays and sounds better than my Pre-G2 it must be awesome.
Bill Cunningham

Post by Bill Cunningham »

I tried the new G2 in the Mullen room at Phoenix and can't say enough about it. The guitar just fit like a well broken-in boot and had a great tone.

And a special thanks to Jerry and family for the hospitality. Its sure is nice to make new friends at these events.
Bill Cunningham
Atlanta, GA
Mickey Adams

The G2

Post by Mickey Adams »

I think you all know How I feel about my G2. Ive allowed numerous other players to play it while travelling about the US. Not ONE discrepancy from anyone that has ever played it. This is the TOP guitar available today. Add to that the great service and communication from Del and Mike, and the whole crew at Mullen, and youve got a guitar that will last a lifetime...Cheers to you, everyone at Mullen Mike!..Mickey AdamsImage[/img]
Hey TC...This is the pic I took while you were getting ready to try it through your rig!
Last edited by Mickey Adams on 13 Feb 2008 3:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ARTIST RELATIONS: MSA GUITARS
2017 MSA LEGEND XL D10, S10, Studio Pro S12 EXE9
Mullen G2, Rittenberry S10, Infinity D10, Zumsteel 8+9
Anderson, Buscarino, Fender, Roman Guitars, Sarno Octal, Revelation Preamps, BJS BARS, Lots of Blackface Fenders!
T. C. Furlong

Post by T. C. Furlong »

Hey Mickey, That was a great day. Thanks again for your time and hospitality. I thought Mickey's G2 was absolutely fantastic. I loved the playability and tone. Congratulations to the nice folks at Mullen for making a killer steel guitar.
TC
Mike Mantey

G2

Post by Mike Mantey »

Thank You for the comments. How is Dallas Mickey, is your tone bigger now?

Thank You all who played the guitar in Arizona and a special thank you to the Newberry's for your great work.

Mike
Curt Shoemaker

Post by Curt Shoemaker »

I just returned from a session in Oklahoma City at Studio 7. This is where you can give a guitar a real tone test, and I must say, I couldn't be happier with the tone my G2 is getting. Another big plus, is the incredible way it stays in tune. For me, that is two important issues. The G2 is hitting the mark on both.
Herby Wallace

G2

Post by Herby Wallace »

I received a new G2 about 2 weeks ago and I must say that it is unbelieveable. I have only played it out one time so far which was at a show in Kannapolis, NC, but I wanted to mention that I will be playing it at the show in Atlanta, GA this Sunday, so if anyone would like to try it out, it will be available at the show. I will be back on here in a few days to give more comments.

Herby Wallace
Mike Mantey

G2

Post by Mike Mantey »

Thanks for the comments guys. Can't wait to hear some more.

I saw Tim Sergent on Craig Ferguson the other night. Tim that thing sure looked and sounded great on TV.

Herby Wallace

G2

Post by Herby Wallace »

Well, as many of you know, I have been playing and selling Mullen guitars since 1984 and Mullen has been my personal choice over all those years. I thought that the HWP model that I have been playing for many years was the best guitar I had ever played, but Del Mullen has really done it this time. The new G2 is without a doubt the finest guitar I have ever played, bar none. It is superb in every respect. First and most important is the tone, the sustain, the pedal action, staying in tune and so on. I honestly can't say enough about this great guitar, and it played this great from the factory with no adjusting whatsoever. I know Del spent several years of research on this fine guitar, and believe me, it paid off. I played it in Atlanta yesterday and I will be taking it to all my future steel guitar shows if anyone would like to try it out. I also will be selling the new G2 along with the HWP and Royal Precision models through my shop.

Herby Wallace
Tim Sergent

Post by Tim Sergent »

I finally get to take my new G2 on the road tomorrow night in Gainesville, FL. It's the first show of the 2008 tour and I'm looking forward to really test driving my new G2 through my own rig and not some rented gear that they give you on a TV show. We've been rehearsing the last 3 days and I must say that I think I'm gonna love it! It's not formica so I don't know if it's gonna be my road guitar or not. My RP plays and sounds great also. Nice problem to have I guess. My G2 is such a beautiful guitar that I would hate for it to get scratched or dinged. So far I'm leaving the single coils in there that they have designed. I don't find them to be exceedingly noisy. Like Mr. Hughey said when he told me that he put single coils back in his guitars....."If they say anything, I'll just tell them it's part of my tone!"

Thanks to Del, Mike, Shawn, Kendall and Dixie for building such a great machine.

Tim
Mickey Adams

What Can You Say

Post by Mickey Adams »

Mike, what a thread!... I talked to Herby at the Birmingham show, and gave him my thoughts on mine. He was very curious...to say the least. I never had a doubt that he was gonna love it. That G2 of Tims is awesome looking too...What great work...What a great guitar.....yes my tone will be swelling considerably as I get closer to Texas!...LOL.....Mickey...<Leaving>
ARTIST RELATIONS: MSA GUITARS
2017 MSA LEGEND XL D10, S10, Studio Pro S12 EXE9
Mullen G2, Rittenberry S10, Infinity D10, Zumsteel 8+9
Anderson, Buscarino, Fender, Roman Guitars, Sarno Octal, Revelation Preamps, BJS BARS, Lots of Blackface Fenders!
Danny Hullihen

Mullen G-2

Post by Danny Hullihen »

I just received my new Mullen G-2 yesterday, (nice Valentines day present :D ) In an couple of words... absolutely incredible! This one is an all natural flame maple body with wood necks, with 8 & 10. Having that many knee levers I was a bit concerned that it might make the action a bit stiff, as has been the case on some other guitars I've had. However, not only was it not stiff, this guitar actually has the absolute smoothest action of ANY guitar I have EVER had in my life, and I have owned just about every brand there is including other Mullen Royal Precision guitars. When I got my Royal Precision, I was pretty convinced that I now had the smoothest playing guitar ever, and it was indeed fantastic, but this new G-2 just blows the doors off of anything i've ever played! Way better than I could have imagined or hoped for in a pedal steel guitar! Indeed if there was ever a perfect marraige of tone, beauty, and functionality, this new G-2 is it in my opinion. If there was ever a guitar that would spoil you from the moment you sit down at it, the new Mullen G-2 is definately it!

I guess I'm what the Mullen crew would call their "guinney pig" when it comes to "one-of-a-kind" or "first one" builds, but in every case, the folks at Mullen have always amazed me with their prolific capabilities in acomplishing absolute perfection in funtionality, dependabilty, and great tone.

In my opinion, the new Mullen G-2 isn't just another "new guitar" on the market, but rather a whole new guitar with inovative design changes that will make it a true "winner" above the best of the best. You've really got to play one of these G-2's to believe it. Be prepaired to be blown away when you do! It took all of about 10 minutes for that to happen to me, and that is indeed very rare for me!

I'll be doing a new CD in the upcoming months at Tommy Detamore's Cherry Ridge Studios in the upcoming months, and you can bet that this New G-2 will be on it!

A heart felt thanks to Del, Mike, Shawn, Kendall, and Dixie for building such an absolutely incredible instrument.

I'll post some pictures here for you soon.