John Stewart Has Passed

Musical topics not directly related to steel guitar

Moderators: Dave Mudgett, Janice Brooks

John Cisco

John Stewart Has Passed

Post by John Cisco »

John Stewart, who wrote the Monkees' hit "Daydream Believer" and became a well-known figure in the 1960s folk music revival as a member of The Kingston Trio, has died, according to the band's Web site. He was 68.
Stewart suffered a massive stroke or brain aneurysm and died early Saturday at a San Diego hospital, the band announced on its official Web site.
[/b]
John P. Cusack a.k.a John Cisco
Carter D-10, Profex II, Fender Steel King

*Small change can often be found under seat cushions in taxicabs*
Darryl Hattenhauer

Post by Darryl Hattenhauer »

http://www.chillywinds.com/

http://www.kingstontrio.com/html/kt_news.htm

http://members4.boardhost.com/KingstonXroads/

http://members.aol.com/clackclack/index.htm

John's solo career started auspiciously. Recorded in about 1970, his second album, California Bloodlines, is about #35 on Rolling Stone's all-time best list. But for me, the 70s and 80s were a drought for John. I was amazed to discover a couple of years ago that in the late 90s his albums became great again.

IMHO, he is in the same league with Dylan, Cohen, Dan Hicks, Tom Waits, etc--an idiosyncratic singer-songwriter who spent many seasons off his game, but whose best gets him into the hall.
Steel crazy after all these years.

$100 reward for info leading to the purchase of a fender D8 white, yellow, or butterscotch.
Chris L. Christensen

Post by Chris L. Christensen »

John Stewart was an excellent songwriter and performer and a very thoughtful, intelligent, witty and sincere man. His contribution to music both via his years with the Kingston Trio, who have always been shamefully neglected and underrated, and his years as a solo is very great. Many of his songs had social messages and biting commentary on the world. I had the privilige of seeing him at McCabe's Music in Santa Monica about two years ago and he put on a great show and autographed two of my Kingston Trio albums afterwards. He will be greatly missed. Rest in Peace, John.
Darryl Hattenhauer

Chris,

There is a CD of him at McCabe's. Is that the show you saw?

dh
Mark Eaton
Location: Sonoma County in The Great State Of Northern California

Post by Mark Eaton »

Oh man, this is tough to hear.

I'm a Stewart fan, and saw him play many times, the last time was about five years ago at a gig here in Sonoma County.

Thanks, John Cisco, for starting the thread, but the info you gleaned from the website, as others have elaborated on, only scratched the surface of the man.

In my opinion, he was truly among America's great songwriters.

One of my favorites has always been "Mother Country."

John was a tall man, always looked good up there on stage and was one of the most natural appearing guitar pickers I've ever seen - it always seemed like an extension of his body.

RIP Big John.
Mark
Chris L. Christensen

Post by Chris L. Christensen »

I know John Stewart came and performed regularly at McCabe's, at least once or twice a year and always drew a good crowd. I know I saw him in '05 but I don't know the particular performance that's available on CD.
Darryl Hattenhauer

He was big in Phoenix. Always a packed house.
Walter Stettner

Post by Walter Stettner »

Sad news indeed. A great musician he was for sure. I also remember Lloyd Green's playing on the "California Bloodlines" album.

Kind Regards, Walter
robert kramer

Post by robert kramer »

John Stewart obituary 1/21/08 New York Times:

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/01/21/arts/ ... ref=slogin
Darryl Hattenhauer

Walter,

Thanks for mentioned Lloyd. I was trying to remember who played steel on that album.

dh
Chip Fossa

Post by Chip Fossa »

Gheez,

You would think THE NEW YORK TIMES could have found just a little more time and print-space to expound on this great man and artist.

Dan Dugmore, as well as Lloyd, also played and toured for a while with John.

My all-time favorite, though, is "California Bloodlines" - Lonesome Picker; July, You're A Woman;
Never Goin' Back (on to Nashville)....

RIP, John
Chip
Williams U-12 8X5; Keyless; Natural Blonde Laquer.
HowardR

Post by HowardR »

I remember seeing him in concert in the mid 70s when I was living in LA.......I didn't know of him but a friend dragged me to this concert......and I became a fan....

I also remember him introducing his steel player, in his deep voice...."Dangerous" Dan Dugmore.......

I'm sorry to hear of his untimely passing......
Jason Odd

Post by Jason Odd »

One of the guys who helped invent country-rock and had the misfortune of not being Gram Parsons, so he gets no credit for it. (others of this ilk include Ian Tyson, Chris Darrow, Steve Young)

California Bloodlines was cut in Nashville in '69, while recording Johnny Cash, Fred Neil and Dylan swung by (Bob was cutting Nashville Skyline at the time) .. and Stewart was part of Capitol's small country-rock roster (Goose Creek Symphony, Possum, Linda Ronstadt, Barefoot Jerry, Charlie Daniels, etc) at the time.
Chip Fossa

Post by Chip Fossa »

Thanks Jason, for the added tidbits. I just love it; and, of course you and I have been here almost since day one; and your knowledge of "everything" dealing with what we love, is uncompromised.

No matter how much I know on a certain subject, you always seem to have just a tad more info.

I'm always impressed.

Keep 'em coming pard.

Chipper :)
Chip
Williams U-12 8X5; Keyless; Natural Blonde Laquer.
Jason Odd

Post by Jason Odd »

thanks Chip.. 10 years ay?

By the way, Rev-Ola in the UK has recently reissues California Bloddlines, while Bear Family (Germany) has a version with most of the next LP as an added bonus.. both sound very good, but the Rev-Ola version is more true to the original LP, they seem to be working their way into the Capitol country-rock albums, they did the Euphoria LP (crazed psyche-country trippers from Texas, based in L.A. in the late 60s) reissue and some Fred Neil for the folk-fans out there.