Videos of Jazz Set

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Dan Tyack

Post by Dan Tyack »

I love everything here, but Eight Miles High just completely kills me. Great stuff, Dave. You were missed at the Sacred Steel/funk mashup with the Campbell Brothers in NOLA last year. I'd like to get together the next time I'm in your town.
Roger Rettig

Post by Roger Rettig »

David, that's wonderful!!! I've read a lot about how well you play, but now I've heard it for myself. It's 'back to the drawing board' for me!

Thank you for sharing your music with us.

RR
Barry Blackwood

Post by Barry Blackwood »

Great playing, Dave. I'm also enjoying all the diverse and eloquent replies from the steel community.
Gabriel Stutz

Post by Gabriel Stutz »

Dave,

As always, truly inspiring. Any chance you're going to be in Chicago anytime soon? Your playing always rearranges my molecules, and I'm looking forward to hearing more. Thanks for helping me define my goals on steel and setting such an amazing example.

Gabriel
Jim Stahlhut

Post by Jim Stahlhut »

Dave's playing in the Jazz Room was amazing. I just fell right into the Jazz mode because Dave's style is so free. It's always a blast to play with Dave, he's of course on my latest CD "The Angle of Incidence" which is pretty heavy modern Jazz. He nailed that CD and was a MAJOR part of it's sound.

Also Dave is coming to Colorado in March. He and I will be at Dazzle Jazz Club in Denver and other venues in Colorado. Watch for further details.

Dave has become a great friend and I hope we play and record a bunch in the future!!

Jim
Cory Dolinsky

Post by Cory Dolinsky »

That was awesome, so unique and refreshing. Eight miles was really cool. I wish i could of been there.

Thanks for posting those clip's, it's so inspiring to hear playing at that level.
Al Marcus

Post by Al Marcus »

Darvin-I wish I could go to the ISGC show just to get and spend a lot of time in the JAZZ Room, and see Reece and all my old friends again...al.:):)

Edit: David I just heard your first video, and it was great playing. Nice picking....al.:):)
Last edited by Al Marcus on 11 Jan 2008 4:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Michigan (MSGC)Christmas Dinner and Jam on my 80th Birthday.

My Email.. almarcus@cmedic.net
My Website..... www.cmedic.net/~almarcus
Clyde Bloodworth

Post by Clyde Bloodworth »

Dave's performance at St. Louis was the most astounding I have ever heard. It inspired me to purchase all the CDs he had available there. I look forward to the next time and will go a great distance to hear him. I can understand that his playing might not appeal to some. We all have different tastes- that's why there are so many flavors of ice cream.
Clyde
Bob Taillefer

Post by Bob Taillefer »

Ditto Clyde! I was there!

Dave's performance was truly outstanding.

His approach is unique and very inspiring.

Bob
Mark Treepaz

Post by Mark Treepaz »

Great playing! I enjoyed it!
Sho-Bud LDG, Gretsch Syncromatic Lap Steel, Fender Steel King amp, Bach Stradivarious 37 Trumpet, Getzen Eterna Flugelhorn, 68 Fender Precision Bass
David Mason

Post by David Mason »

Oh, so that's what that thing is for... thanks for posting these, Dave. I am struck by the appalling lack of use of the pedals - (I don't think he touches 'em even a single time in "Eight Miles High", and not much of the rest of the songs either.)

Hey Dave, maybe if you get up this way you could come install some of those notes on my steel, cause the factory left 'em off. :cry:
Also, what does the string around your right knee do, specifically? It's a raise? What brand of string do you use?

(Are the old strings better? :P)
David Easley

New Strings etc.

Post by David Easley »

Dave Mason, I'd have to say I really prefer new strings. I only play with old strings when I'm just too busy or tired to change them. I'm quite sure I had new strings on in St. Louis because I was hoping not to sound bad in front of all the great players who go to those things. The household type string around the knee is just an E to F on the sixth string. I change the knee string and the paper clip about once every ten years. Ask at the hardware store for a good strong roll of string. One question though, Dave, do you have a push-pull? I think I once wanted to do the same to a Marlen or an MSA. I turned the thing over and stared at it for 5 or ten minutes, couldn't figure out where to put the paper clip and gave up. On an Emmons push pull it's plain as the nose on your face. It's even got a hole just the right size for a paper clip. (I think you need the old-fashioned metal paper clip.) A couple of times I've played Brian Wilkie's Emmons in Chicago and I just brought my own string and paper clip... a heck of a lot easier getting on a plane with that than with a 75lb steel!

Gabriel, I don't know when I'll be back in Chicago but I'll tell Brian Wilkey to let you know the next time and I'll try to post it on my calendar.
http://www.myspace.com/davefeasley
Gabriel Stutz

Post by Gabriel Stutz »

Thanks Dave, I always forget about myspace, but I'll keep an on your page.

Gabriel