Looking for more on Magnatone

Lap steels, resonators, multi-neck consoles and acoustic steel guitars

Moderator: Brad Bechtel

Mark Lynott

Looking for more on Magnatone

Post by Mark Lynott »

Hey Everyone,
I'm pretty new to the forum, have greatly benefited from all of your expertise and enjoy the general information.

I have a MOTS Maggie (1949 by the pot codes). With all of the reproductions available for Fender, Gibson, Rickenbacher, etc. I was wondering if anyone has reprints or photo scans of Magnatone catalogs, brochures, price lists, etc.

Andy Volk's book is excellent, but I was a little let down that it barely mentions Dickerson/Magnatone.

Are there other books out there that include Magnatone Steel Guitar photos and more company info.?

Thanks
-Mark
Last edited by Mark Lynott on 11 Jan 2008 12:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gerald Cook

Post by Gerald Cook »

Hey Mark,
I had the same problem 10 years ago. I have a triple neck-8 that I had aquired some time back and went in search of information about this company. There is very little info about this company other than history of who bought out who. I was able to find out on this forum that mine was manufactured in the late 50's to early 60's. I think the Magnatones for the most part have great sound, so I've been told by many other steelers in my area. Keep searching and good luck. Gerald
Mike Neer

Post by Mike Neer »

Michael Lee Allen might be the guy to ask about this.

If you check out some back issues of Vintage Guitar magazine you'll find they did a series of articles on the history of Magnatone.
Brad Bechtel

Post by Brad Bechtel »

Here's a good article on the history of Magnatone from Vintage Guitar magazine's web site. Most of the historic information I've received comes from amplifier fan sites such as Vibroworld.
Brad’s Page of Steel
A web site devoted to acoustic & electric lap steel guitars
Richard Shatz

Post by Richard Shatz »

That's a great article. Thanks Brad.
Were there supposed to be photos on that page?
Brad Bechtel

Post by Brad Bechtel »

I don't believe they ever posted the photos from the original article on that web page, Richard. That's really too bad, because they had some interesting photos. I don't have that issue any more, but I remember it being one of the few that talked about the Magnatone lap steels.
Brad’s Page of Steel
A web site devoted to acoustic & electric lap steel guitars
Mark Lynott

Post by Mark Lynott »

the hunt continues... thanks for all the comments-and any further ones. The Vintage Guitar article is the best thing so far-very helpful.
Last edited by Mark Lynott on 11 Jan 2008 12:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mark Lynott

Post by Mark Lynott »

Since the original post and replies I've been able to get some more (not much more) about Dickerson/Magnatone history. Decided to BUMP this in case someone might have missed the original post, and post a few specific q's. The point of this is not only my curiosity, but also to get a website going dedicated to the company history and specifically their Lap and Console Steels.

If/what retailers sold Dickerson and Magnatone Lap Steels in their catalogs?

The name of the toy company that bought out the Magnatone brand in 1971?

Any photos of the factories?

Any photos of artists playing Magnatones on the "Hawaii Calls" sessions etc. More info. about endorsers like Ray Meany.

Thanks! :)
Ron Whitfield

Post by Ron Whitfield »

Good luck, Mark, on you Mag steel site venture. It ain't gonna be easy.
I'll be waiting!

There have been one or two nice shots of the Hawaii Calls gang with their Mag steels and amps, but it'll require a search thru the current and possibly the old SGF pages..., unless someone provides them for you, or a fruitful google search does the trick.

I've long been a Magnatone hound, have a few interesting items, and am looking to get some more, asap. Many of their steels, guitars, and amps are terrific examples of So. Cal musical instrument manufacturing, but they always took a beating by (at least) Fender and Gibson. No news there! But on rare occassion, they topped the others with superior quality product.
Paul Warnik

Post by Paul Warnik »

Magnatone had some of their instruments designed by the great inventor Paul Bigsby
He designed the Mark IV and Mark V electric Spanish guitars which are quite rare and highly sought after
Bigsby also designed a Magnatone lap steel that came in six and eight string versions-I do not know the model number designation but I can tell you that I have seen them in both wood and MOTS finishes-The Bigsby designed model is the one with the all metal black/silver 24 1/2" scale fretboards having stars and bars as some fret position markers-this model also features the pickup,bridge,tone/vol controls,and the input jack all mounted on the chrome plate and the input jack is on the bottom edge-the gutar body is symmetrical but not in the traditional guitar shape-I see these on Ebay quite often in the six string version but haven't see an eight stringer which I would probably buy if I could find one :!:
Ron Whitfield

Post by Ron Whitfield »

Paul, that's a very cool and interesting post, as I have a totally original Mark V that I bought many years ago before they were wanted by anybody but me, for $275, and had the steel (8 str.) you mentioned having been designed by PA Bigsby. I got that for $225, and it eventually went to Mr. Hollywood, the great Sonny Kamahele, and was the primary steel he used until he retired. It was a clear finish with a golden tint, and while a nice sounding steel, it paled slightly compared to my 8 str. Mag Troubadour (for my tastes), of which it's body is very similarly designed. Wouldn't mind having it back now, tho.
What was it called?
I sure havn't seen any on Ebay!

The Mark V (with a shorter Bigsby vibrato) is indeed an odd duck, but a real Rock-a-Billy machine, especially in more worthy hands than mine. Put the PU switch in the middle for both (awesome) PU's and it's automatic R-a-B to the max! My example is black, but was at one time the other two solid colors it came in, Indian Red, and first an orange-ish yellow. They also came in a typical burst scheme, and some had a German carve/valute around the body's top edge.
I believe mine is a '59 (first yr.), and the interior workmanship is the crudest I've ever seen of any production guitar. Take off the pick guard and the cavity that sports the neck set end is an ugly mess, with the neck roughly screwed to the solid body interior along the neck's edges. I still am shocked at this but not about to complain as it has a 'chambered' sound that is unique (I'll asume) to all these guitars, and quite good overall.
Dick Dale had black a Mark IV (trapeze tail piece) as a young man, and would probably claim it as a piece of crap, since everything other than a Strat is to him, but it's what he cut his teeth on.
Ashley Kingman is the only other player of recent vintage that I've seen with one, and his has a faux Bigsby neck in place of the original. It looks cool, but I like the original neck and headstock/badge even better.

I got this guitar after not being able to afford $10,000 for Hank Garland's historic Bigsby that I was in the front of the line to buy.
I'm happier now...

But, I'd love to hear these Mark PU's on a steel!
Blew the chances I had at a couple of pairs. :x :roll:
Were these PU's designed by PA?
Ron Whitfield

In case anyone's interested in more on the Mark V...

Post by Ron Whitfield »

Here's a clean Mark V, going for only... $16,500 -
www.pmblues.com and hit - inventory, then - Magnatone/Bigsby
They're good guitar's, but that's nuts!

There is also a de-finished & neckless Mark body on Ebay (search - Magnatone) that shows that it is indeed a very chambered body.

I believe I'll keep mine!
Michael Lee Allen

Post by Michael Lee Allen »

REMOVED
Last edited by Michael Lee Allen on 28 Feb 2011 10:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Michael Lee Allen

REMOVED
Last edited by Michael Lee Allen on 28 Feb 2011 10:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Michael Lee Allen

REMOVED
Last edited by Michael Lee Allen on 28 Feb 2011 10:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Michael Lee Allen

REMOVED
Last edited by Michael Lee Allen on 28 Feb 2011 10:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Michael Lee Allen

REMOVED
Last edited by Michael Lee Allen on 28 Feb 2011 10:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Joe Stoebenau

Post by Joe Stoebenau »

Hi Guys,
February 1998 of Vintage Guitar magazine has a great article on Magnatone and Dickerson guitars.
Also, there was a good one in July 2006 that also had some photos of magnatones of different years.
Jam On,
Joe
Don Kona Woods

Post by Don Kona Woods »

February 1998 of Vintage Guitar magazine has a great article on Magnatone and Dickerson guitars.
Also, there was a good one in July 2006 that also had some photos of magnatones of different years.
Can the articles and pictures be posted?

Aloha, :)
Don
Michael Lee Allen

REMOVED
Last edited by Michael Lee Allen on 28 Feb 2011 10:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Michael Lee Allen

REMOVED
Last edited by Michael Lee Allen on 28 Feb 2011 10:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Michael Lee Allen

REMOVED
Last edited by Michael Lee Allen on 28 Feb 2011 10:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Michael Lee Allen

REMOVED
Last edited by Michael Lee Allen on 28 Feb 2011 10:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Michael Lee Allen

REMOVED
Last edited by Michael Lee Allen on 28 Feb 2011 10:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Michael Lee Allen

REMOVED
Last edited by Michael Lee Allen on 28 Feb 2011 10:41 am, edited 1 time in total.