whats your day job ?

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Mike Wolfenbarger

Post by Mike Wolfenbarger »

What an interesting thread. I'm glad to see a few educators out there. I'm a public school music teacher (maybe that's why I don't play so well!!!!!).
Mike
Pro-III (a lot)
Vegas 400
Evans
Scott Howard

Post by Scott Howard »

I Worked as a mechanic on police cars for Chattanooga for 15 + years . A couple years self employed. Then the pain got to the point mechanic work is out of the question on a regular basis. I have spent the last 6 years at a auto parts chain. This was my last project at home.I finished it shortly after this pic. I finnaly sold it.
Bob Ritter

Post by Bob Ritter »

local pickup and delivery
Let's go catch a steelhead
Brad Bechtel

Post by Brad Bechtel »

Quality Assurance Engineer, Professional Applications, Apple Computer.
Brad’s Page of Steel
A web site devoted to acoustic & electric lap steel guitars
Alvin Blaine

Post by Alvin Blaine »

Banjo picker
Steve Branscom

Post by Steve Branscom »

Currently on disability after 20+ years as a stockbroker.

Dean Salisbury--I am also beginning the Soc Sec disability application process. I have engaged an attorney for said process. I have been told it is a long (2 to 3 yrs) process and one in which one is routinely told "no" on a regular basis. If you don't already have an attorney to shepherd you through the SocSec disability process it might behoove you to search for one.
Steve
JERRY THURMOND

Post by JERRY THURMOND »

I worked for General Motors for 30 years I was a welding coordinator in the testing area,we took new cars that were just built an would tare them apart to check how good the welds were. I retired at 48 an opened up a music store, I am now 62 still haveing a ball playing steel guitar an still got the music store.

Jerry
Jack Stoner

Post by Jack Stoner »

I worked for SSA but managed a Computer network and help desk, not dealing with beneficiaries. The first step is the State's DDS Disability Determine Service (under contract to SSA) that does the initial determination. It is then sent to SSA. However, not everyone needs an attorney dealing with the OHA (Office of Hearings and Appeals) and not everyone is automatically told "no". There are attorneys that specialize in this and will represent you and they will tell you that you need them - obviously as they will get a "fee".
Last edited by Jack Stoner on 3 Jan 2008 3:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mike Randolph

Post by Mike Randolph »

I am a caretaker for a millionaire on a lake in northern Minnesota.I am full time 8-4 M-F and there great people to boot!! Toys of every mans dream. Also play 6 to 8 nights a month in the winter and 12 to 18 nights a month in the summer.
Thanks, Mike

HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!!!!
Jim Bob Sedgwick

Post by Jim Bob Sedgwick »

I Played 10 years professionally, then went to mortuary school and became an embalmer and funeral director. Left that and became a deputy coroner for San Bernardino county, California. 21 years, retired. Now I fish and occasionally do some gigs on steel. life is great!!!
Dan Beller-McKenna

Post by Dan Beller-McKenna »

College professor at University of New Hampshire where I teach music history. I write articles and books on Johannes Brahms and teach classes on just about all aspects of classical music for the music majors, and on all kinds of music for the general education students. One of these days I'll convince them to let me teach a course on country music: surprising how many students listen to country here in NH.

I play steel in two bands; get to play out once or twice a month. (Any more than that and my family might notice I was missing!)

Dan
Durham, NH
dbmCk mUSIC
Danny Kuykendall

Post by Danny Kuykendall »

I own a billiard room and sports bar called Danny K's, www.dannyks.com. 20 pool tables and about 50 high def. Tvs.
I only play about 3 or 4 gigs a year with Jim Rice and some other great players. I feel honored to play in their presence, especially Danny Thames on piano, who played with Kris Kristofferson for about 10 years.
Danny K
Jon Kostal

Auto tech

Post by Jon Kostal »

Automotive technician for Mercedes-Benz for the last 20 years.
Bill McRoberts

Post by Bill McRoberts »

Ditch Digger..........Well, Back Hoe Operator...
Robert Cook

Post by Robert Cook »

Chief Operating Officer for a multi brand restaurant and investment development company. I watch a lot of other people work so I can think about playing steel. The watching is going well, the steel playing is another subject.
Left-handed Pedalmaster-10, Nashville 1000, Fender Twin, Goodrich
Larry Scott

Post by Larry Scott »

Owner/Service Tech for high end kitchen and laundry
products

ImageImage
Garry Simpson

Post by Garry Simpson »

I officially retired January 1st of this year. I just moved to Sapulpa, Oklahoma and just got my internet going again.

I was a supervisor of drafting for a natural gas transmission company. Now the fun begins. :D

Garry
R. D. Miller

Post by R. D. Miller »

I teach Technology Education at the high school level. I teach drafting, computer applications, principles of technology (applied physics), and video technology. Too many courses to keep up with sometimes, but I can graduate (retire) in two and a half years from now :D
I also farm cotton on the side and am a volunteer firefighter.
Ronnie

"There are two well kept secrets to success. 1. Never tell everything you know . . ."
Dave Todd

Post by Dave Todd »

John Coffman wrote:I am a facilities manager for a large computer data center specializing in HVAC/Power distribition and large generators. It never breaks 9 to 5.
What Mr. Coffman said. I do the same thing and have been for the last 18 years. before that I was a hard rock miner in Colorado and a truck driver.

Lotto please............ :lol:
I need to go Fishin'.......
Miguel e Smith

Post by Miguel e Smith »

Creative Consultant and demonstrator for Appalachian Tone Generators
Mike S.
"Mike & T's House Of Steel" (band)
www.houseofsteelband.com
Dean Salisbury

thanks Steve Branscom

Post by Dean Salisbury »

I am a certified paralegal for over 30 years and my specialty is of course not social security. Like you in my research I've been told that most people are denied at least 2 times and more like 3 times. Like you I also have an attorney. That was another problem. After contacting over 20 national and local law firms I was told after you get denied, then give us a call! How stupid!

I finally talked an attorney into respresenting me who has a 90% success rate against SSC to do nothing more then to represent me by doing nothing other then read over my app and to besure that I have ever i dotted and every t crossed! then if I get denied then to represent me. He finally agreed but said that he wouldn't charge me because he thought it was a waste of time, but would only charge me after I was denied!

I was told by my drs that I couldn't work sicne May 7, 2007. I just received a letter from SSC that my claim has been accepted! NOT A DENIAL! lolol

I too think it is very important being that I've been in the legal field for over 30 years. In most cases you are better off if you retain a COMPETENT lawyer! Check them out and be sure that they have a winning record!

Dean from NY
I'm new and just learning - I know nothing!
Larry Chung

Post by Larry Chung »

Great thread! I'm amazed at how music and love for an instrument can bring together so many different people with so many different personal and professional interests and talents.

I'm a private music teacher and director of a classical music organization here in the Bay Area. I feel both fortunate and thankful to have the opportunity to participate, present, perform and partake in this wonderful thing we call music.
And to meet such fascinating and genuinely decent people in the process.

I'm honored to be a part of this Forum.

ZBest,
LC
Ken Williams

Post by Ken Williams »

I teach high school chemistry, physics, and biology. I've been at it for the past 29 years. Started out coaching basketball and baseball, but found out that it just wasn't my bag. Oh, I did coach golf one year too. With the huge salaries we knock down, I figure I ought to be able to retire in about 25 more years. :)

Ken
Gary Lee Gimble

Post by Gary Lee Gimble »

with a schmere...
or without
Joe Fortune

Occupation

Post by Joe Fortune »

I'll soon be retired 7 years from the State of Illnois where I worked for 40 years in the data
processing and Information Tech business as a Main Frame and PC/LAN Programmer and Systems Analyst.