MS: DSSG Meeting and Music Session

Upcoming steel guitar shows, concerts, jam sessions, club dates, etc.

Moderator: Dave Mudgett

Bill Stafford

Post by Bill Stafford »

At last I have a date for out new session here in Gulfport, Mississippi-- Feb. 9, 2008. Our band stand
is still standing at the VFW on Dedeaux Rd and that is where we will bring in the new year.
The club will have a business meeting that morning at 10:00 AM to get us off on the right foot. I need many volunteers this time folks, so please do what you can to help us have a successful year. Contact me with your support, ideas etc. I will do all I can to allow us many happy learing experineces in our steel guitar world. Thanks and just send me email concerning what you can do to assist.
Our music session will start at 1:00 PM.
I spent yesterday morning with Hank Corwin and we are the luckiest steel club to have this talent here and willing to help us all out. More to come on the details of our next event. Don't forget, Feb 9.
Bill Stafford
Billy Carr
Restricted

2-9-08

Post by Billy Carr »

Just invited some folks from Alabama that are coming and will spread the word through our MSP folks to come join the events on Feb.9th. We need to pack the place. See ya!
Doc Rickles

DSSGA

Post by Doc Rickles »

Hi Bill,
Will be there to help in whatever you need. It will be great.
My wife had to have all your albums at the Laurel show. I still can't play any of them so watch out for requests. First one being, "The Shadow of Your Smile".
See ya there,
Doc
GFI Red and Black SD 10 3/4 Keyless, Fender Jazzmaster Head, Special Jensen 12" Speaker Cab, New Hilton Pedal, Epiphone ES 295,60th Aniv 52 Custom Shop Tele,Tacoma Chief CKK9C Koa Wood
Wonderful Wife who loves all this stuff.
"Steel Away and Pray Everyday."
Howard Tate

Post by Howard Tate »

Once again I'll have to miss. We're either opening for or backing John Anderson in Nachitoches on the eighth, and I just don't think I can make the drive without sleep. I'm so disappointed, I've been waiting a long time. Bill, if you'll send me your mailing address I'll mail you my dues. Sorry I can't do more to help.
Bill Stafford

DSSG

Post by Bill Stafford »

Sure is nice to have all this wonderful support from you guys. Billy, we will have a nice display area for you and plan on you being on the play list. Let me know if any of the guys you invite desire a spot. Want all to have a good time
Doc, guess I will have to start practicing. Will be so good to see and hear you again. I am so proud of your gracious wife's choice of music. My best to both of you.
Howard, you will be missed. Sorry I could not get a date for this show to accomodate everyone. It is so difficult here stell to arrange accomodations, bldg. for the show and all else here on the coast. Getting better, but still not back were we were before Kartina.
Billy, should you talk with Wayne Gray, please ask him to give me a call. Want to feature him and his band along with Bob Saxton and a steel player of Wayne's choice for a long set. Really enjoyed their set at your show this past year and want the folks here on the coast to hear them.
I have emailed Romeo Sullivan, Hall of Fame DJ to help us out also. Waiting to hear from him now.
Hopefully, Scott Perro-the classical guitarist from the New Orleans area- will be able to be here alos. Waiting on that also. Much more in the works.
And I am hoping that Ms Lana will be here to really make it all worth while.
Can't forget our own darling Miss "Mini Minnie Pearl", Cayla Kelton either. She graces our stage just perfect and her family is one of DSSG's best supporters.
And, the greatest and most gracious HANK CORWIN will be on this program. He will also assist DSSG in producing a very professional and first class stage band to provide the proper and well balanced and soothing sound level for all of us in the buliding to enjoy. He will be talking with a lot of you. Good things and times are in the works for this new year
Thanks to all. Looking forward to a good time on Feb 9.
Bill Stafford
Roy Ayres

Post by Roy Ayres »

Laurie and I will be there, especially to help with a program in memory of our good friend and steel guitar idol, John Hughey. Here's a photo taken the last time we attended Bill's Gulfport show.

It was, for me, a high honor to share the stage with John and Bill -- two of my favorite people and, to me, two of the greatest steel guitarists on earth.

See you all February 9th, 2008.

Roy and Laurie
Pioneers of Western Swing HOF, Seattle 2005
Western Swing Music HOF, Sacramento 2006
International Steel Guitar HOF, St.Louis 2007
Visit my Web Site at RoysFootprints.com
Browse my Photo Album and be sure to sign my Guest Book.
Ben ODell

REPEAT !!!

Post by Ben ODell »

Count me in on the goodies.

Thanks for the up-date,,,,, and the date. I'm looking forward to seeing all the old friends.

Ben O'Dell
Howard Tate

Post by Howard Tate »

Roy, it was nice to meet you at that show. I believe the fourth steeler in that picture is Larry Moore, another very good player.
Roy Ayres

Post by Roy Ayres »

Howard,

Yes, I know. Larry is a great steeler. The reason I only mentioned John and Bill is that they were the only two trying to steal my hot licks':lol:' (Check it out in the picture.) Larry and "Ole Ben" couldn't care less about my hot licks. ';-)'
Howard Tate

Post by Howard Tate »

I agree, Larry didn't look too interested, but ole Ben looked like he was gonna steal something.
Rob Parker

Post by Rob Parker »

Bill,
I'm glad you are booting up for another great show..I wish I were able to attend..always a treat for me to be in such good company with you, Roy,Hank,Big-Ben,Bob S., and any number of great players..But unfortunately for me, I am in a show on Sunday, and it would be impractical to try to make yours on Saturday..I would have about 400 plus miles to drive for the Sunday show..Maybe next time...
Wishing for all of you another great show, and visiting with old friends, and great musicians.
RP...'come on in'...
Dr. Hugh Jeffreys

Deep So. Club

Post by Dr. Hugh Jeffreys »

Bill & and Deep South members: I regret that I will not be able to be of help; I sincerely hope that I will be able to make up my absences in the future. I am having surgery Th (Jan 3) and will be in PT for several weeks thereafter. Best to all --- Hugh
Ben ODell

HOT LICKS

Post by Ben ODell »

ROY THIS IS AN FYI, (FOR YA'LL'ZEZ IN-FO-MATION)

Please observe the look on Ben's face and what I had in my hand. That mic was for boinging Larry, just in case he didn't catch on, when it came his turn.

I think I had just stood back up after leaning over and telling Larry I was back there with that loaded mic.

In regards to the look, I was taking all that stuff down in the memory banks. I mean,,,,,you gotta get that serious look when your on stage with all that talent.

It's always a pleasure to see you an Laurie, and the up-coming show has the makings of another one of them,,,,,"BIG-UNS".

WHAT A GREAT PHOTO !!!!! Thanks for posting it !!!

Ben O'Dell
Roy Ayres

Post by Roy Ayres »

Ben,

Howard Tate's wife took that picture, so she and Howard deserve all of the "Thank You's"

It's a cherished picture in my house, and I have it posted on my web site st http://RoysFootprints.com

See you in February.

Roy[/url]
John Heinrich

Hello All!

Post by John Heinrich »

Happy New year to everyone down there! Hey Bill, sounds like you guys are getting ready to have a wonderful meeting! I'll have to make it down there for one of them and hear you guys picking!
John
www.johnheinrich.com
Double 10 2001 EXCEL
Single 10 2008 EXCEL "My Money Maker"
Single neck universal 14 string EXCEL
Dobro, Saxophone, Oboe, English Horn, Flute, Horn Sections, Lap Steel
615/828-1182 cell
Roland Buras
Location: Kiln, MS, 45 miles east of New Orleans off I-10 USA

DSSG Good News

Post by Roland Buras »

Hey Bill, Man this is exciting getting the DSSG going again. you know i will be there for you and what ever you need me to do, just holler. My Dad went through the Surgery just great. he is in ICU recovery. ok let me know how to help.

R J Buras
Ben ODell

The Good News

Post by Ben ODell »

Well Bill, I got to go along with R.J., and say again, has the makings of A GOOD-UN.

And also good news about RJ'S DAD. Looking forward to seeing you there as usual RJ.

Ben O'Dell

Roland Buras
Location: Kiln, MS, 45 miles east of New Orleans off I-10 USA

Post by Roland Buras »

Thank you Ben, Looking forward to seeing you and Mickey at the DSSG. thanks for your prayers. can't wait to hear that ole Bass a Thumpin and hope wayne goff can be with us on those drums.

See you then

Thanks

RJ
Roy Ayres

Post by Roy Ayres »

^
A bump for Mr. Smooth and his great show.

(P.S. I now have sample clips for all of my CD's on my web site.)
Tommy Young

Post by Tommy Young »

BILL SURE HOPE I'LL BE ABLE TO MAKE THE SHOW BUT AT THIS TIME I'M WAITING ON A REPLY FROM MY BACK DR. AND IF POSSIBLE WILL TRY TO MAKE IT JUST CAN'T CONFIRM YET MR. BILL I SURE HAD FUN AT THE LAST ONE

TOMMY YOUNG
MAX-TONE MODIFICATIONS
WHEN YOUR GUITARS TONE HAS TO BE ITS VERY BEST
Roy Ayres

Post by Roy Ayres »

Mr. Smooth with his 14 string Excel
Bill Stafford

Deep South

Post by Bill Stafford »

Glad to see all this interest for our Feb 9 show. Thanks Roy and all. Will be good to have Roy represent the ISGHOF on our stage. We will have a special phase of the program to appreciate John Hughey and all he has given to our steel guitar world.
MOre on the program as it develops. Hope to see a lot of you there...
Bill STafford
Jack Goodson

feb 9th show

Post by Jack Goodson »

bill: Martha and i will be there unless something drastic happens. if you can put me on the list to play i would appreciate it. if not we will still come and listen....thanks jack
Ray Harrison

Post by Ray Harrison »

Bill, sounds like you're getting ready to have another great show. Wish Sandy and I could be there, and I'm still working on it.
I'll be missing you in Phoenix and looking forward to our next visit. Please give Betty a big hug from us.
Take care.
Ray Harrison
Bass/sing/Love PSG
77 Stingray/Kiesel 5 string bass
Telonics , Fender Rumble500, Polytone Amps
D-16 Martin, 1970 Ovation guitars
Laurie Ayres

Post by Laurie Ayres »

Bill: I don't want everyone to forget about the big show you are putting on! Everyone needs to plan to be there. We can't wait to see everyone again and enjoy the fun as well! See you soon! Laurie