whats your day job ?

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Randal Smith

Post by Randal Smith »

I work for Epiphone as a guitar inspector. It involves checking each guitar for structural and cosmetic problems, then doing a quick setup. The quota is 50 guitars per day. I average more than that.

Occasionally, I work in the repair dept., doing such things as repairing frets, replacing damaged frets, gluing loose frets, leveling frets, crowning frets and deburring sharp fret ends.

Maybe that's why I like steel guitars. No fret problems!

Oh, yeah. I'm also music director at church.
Randal Smith alias Smitty the Kid
Nashville, TN
Simmons SD10
Warmoth Custom Guitar
Gibson GA-20 Amp
"We have enough youth, how about a Fountain of Smart?"
Brian Edwards

Post by Brian Edwards »

Economist at national laboratory.
1971 Emmons PP and Webb 6-14E
James Martin (U.K.)

Post by James Martin (U.K.) »

Terry, That's probably the reason for all those accidents I had! James.
Tony Glassman

Post by Tony Glassman »

Physician (Rehabilitation Medicine)
Tore Blestrud

Post by Tore Blestrud »

75 % COP
25 % steel play
Emmons D-10 P/P 78", Franklin D-10, Zum Encore. Sho-Bud LDG
Larry Scott

Post by Larry Scott »

David Wright wrote:Brick~Mason. I'll lay about anything :-D

Really? :whoa: :mrgreen:
Jim Taylor

Post by Jim Taylor »

I've worked in the computer field for 43 years. I started as a hardware development engineer, then later as a hardware manager and then a Manufacturing manager. In the “twilight” of my career I am in new products introduction. I integrate the Mfg requirements into the Engineering schedules and then manage the MFG side until the new product is in stable production. I hope to retire in a year or two, but I have to learn how to keep from spending so much money.
Dale Gray

Day job?

Post by Dale Gray »

Worked offshore as a communications tech for Motorola until the bottom fell out, plus the cost of leasing 3 Bell Jet Rangers, Retired Law Enforcement, now drive school bus, pick guitar, and fly model rockets.
GFI SD10.Vegas 400, Oblong pedal, Rocket Scientist.
Bob Knetzger

day job

Post by Bob Knetzger »

Toy designer.

First on staff at Mattel in the 70s, then for the last twenty five years as an independent toy inventor. When I'm lucky I license my inventions to toy companies and get paid a royalty based on sales. Even more 'feast or famine' than the music biz. (Please, no Chinese lead toy jokes!)

BTW, there was another "toy designer/steel guitarist/banjo player" that you ALL know...any guesses?

-It's Winnie Winston!
Alan Brookes

Post by Alan Brookes »

Randal Smith wrote:I work for Epiphone as a guitar inspector....
That sounds like a great job. I'm envious...
Alan Brookes

Post by Alan Brookes »

Larry Hamilton wrote:Kenny, Yes I have run the GE dash 8 locomotives. BNSF has many in their fleet of locomotives..
That also sounds like a great job. Again, I'm envious...
Alan Brookes

Post by Alan Brookes »

Terry Kinnear wrote:Hey James, I think your driving on the wrong side of the road. your steering wheel is on the wrong side of the car. nice car.Tk
During the 1939-45 war there were thousands of US troups in Emgland, and teaching them to drive on the left was not always successful. I'm reminded of the 60s joke, when Idi Amin declared that he was going to change his country from left-hand to right-hand driving, but in order to reduce the confusion, he would have trucks and buses drive on the right, and the rest of the country drive on the right a year later. The result was complete pandominium. :whoa: :whoa: :whoa:
Joe Stoebenau

Post by Joe Stoebenau »

James Cann wrote:Adjunct English faculty, Glendale Community College.
Hey James, I went to Glendale Comm. College back in '98 I think. I was in the aviation mechanic program. It was a very good program with great instructors. Is John Cassel still there? He was the head of the aviation program back then. If he is, tell him I said hello and give him my email.
Jam On,
Joe Stoebenau
Geoff Cole

Post by Geoff Cole »

At present I am a maritime traffic control officer for Darwin Harbour Port Corporation ,Northern Territory ,Australia. And it does have it's moments.
Bill Moran

Post by Bill Moran »

I'm a piggybacker ! I will explain if anyone cares.
Drive'em out, sit'em down, fly back !!
I would rather be hunting . :lol: :lol: :lol:

:\ :\ :\
Bill
KENNY KRUPNICK

Post by KENNY KRUPNICK »

Larry, I like the GP-9 Locomotives too. :-D I was into the "HO" scale model railroads for awhile. 8)
Steve Wilson

Post by Steve Wilson »

Great topic! Many interesting occupations...

I work as the Director of Marketing Communications for a small family winery in California's Santa Clara Valley. Evenings and weekends I am the guitar repair tech for a local music store. I figure I have worked on over 1,500 guitars and one pedal steel - mine! I have been employed in the wine industry for 34 years. I once considered changing occupations but then I found out some employers frown on tasting wine on the job and maintaining a wine cellar in your office.
Larry Hamilton

Post by Larry Hamilton »

Kenny, I can't think what a GP-9 is but I think it is a switch engine.

Yeah, railroading beats working for a living. I have a life size toy to play with.
Keep pickin', Larry
David Wright

Post by David Wright »

Larry,
yep, brick, block, stone, glass block... :-D :wink:
David Doggett
Location: Bawl'mer, MD (formerly of MS, Nawluns, Gnashville, Knocksville, Lost Angeles, Bahsten. and Philly)

Post by David Doggett »

DW, that barbecue pit is a real work of art. It reminds me of one of the jobs I had as a concrete form carpenter in Nashville in the '70s. It's an artistic concrete fountain that sits over in the middle of the student commons building of Vanderbilt U. One ole boy and me built the whole thing (except for the plumbing). It's still there as far as I know. I also worked from the ground up on the 11-story municipal parking garage on top of the hill downtown. That's one of the neat things about construction. I took my kids to the top of the parking garage and told them that me and a couple of other ole boys formed every column in that building. After work I'd go home and take a nap, and get up and go play Dobro and steel in the Broadway Club. Those were the days. :smile:
Dave Seddon

Post by Dave Seddon »

I cut and ship sheet metal to e-bay customers, boring, but keeps me in strings and things! Dave.
Terry Kinnear

Post by Terry Kinnear »

most everybody, who plays steel guitar,has alot of brain power. If they can tune it and play some songs. good or indifferent. most people,cant get that far. Steel players,in my opinion .are a great bunch of guys, who are great thinkers,and love a good challenge. Tk
Terry Kinnear [ steel wondering]
Steve Norman

Post by Steve Norman »

man I need a better job after reading all this,,
whos hiring?
GFI D10, Fender Steel King, Hilton Vpedal,BoBro, National D dobro, Marrs RGS
Terry Kinnear

Post by Terry Kinnear »

I know, Im trying to get a job ,with Bo Leggs. he is over paid, for the job he does. Tk
Terry Kinnear [ steel wondering]
Tony Dingus

Post by Tony Dingus »

I'm a traffic maintance worker. Installing and maintaining signs and road markings. During the summer I'm on back of a road stripping truck. You got it,"Crooked Lines", just ask Mike Archer and I don't drink. Sessions are my part time work.

Tony