Lap steels, resonators, multi-neck consoles and acoustic steel guitars

Moderator: Brad Bechtel

Richard Shatz

Epi Rocco or Duo Console?

Post by Richard Shatz »

Image :?
Ron Whitfield

Post by Ron Whitfield »

Not a Rocco, and probably not an Epiphone even tho the fretboards look very Epi, but an interesting steel nontheless. I saw it on Ebay a while back wishing I could snag it. I've long had an HO for Rocco's and by the looks of your steel collection, we have similar good tastes.
Will you be putting her into playing shape, Richard?

Here's a Rocco in it's case and a Rocco bar. www.telapex.com/~cejjrpe/rocco.htm Brroing!

Anybody know if Rocco's came in a dbl. 8 configuration? I've only seen them all ala Noel Bogg's set up of 7/8.
Did Big Jim Murphy own Noel's Rocco? I saw him tearing one up with III on Conan years back.
Richard Shatz

Post by Richard Shatz »

Ron,
Thanks. I was pretty sure it wasn't a Rocco, but maybe a Duo Console, anyway prewar Epiphone. I snagged it this afternoon for $250 with beat up case. I think it is a really great looking thing. I don't own any double neck steels, so I thought the bin price was ok for what appears to be a prewar Epi.
The seller says the electronics work. I really don't care. I'll drop some machines on it, crank it up and see how it feels and sounds. If it sucks, I'll see if Rick Aiello will drop two different pickups of his in it.
Matt Johnson

Post by Matt Johnson »

Nice guitar! To me it resembles a Vega (By looking at the hand rest, v/t knobs, bridge, fretboard markers, and headstock shape).

With those old ones, it's a tough call.
Let us know how it sounds!
Ron Whitfield

Post by Ron Whitfield »

Well there you go! But it's a Vega I havn't seen before. It'll probably be a decent sounder, as Vega in general made pretty good steels. You might have a fairly rare guitar, Richard, but no doubt it can be improved with something suitable via RA.

Keep us info'd.
Bill Creller

Post by Bill Creller »

I was thinking Vega also after seeing the fret boards. I like my Vega (black & cream color) but haven't heard one like the natural-finished one pictured. I think Vegas may be under-rated for tone quality.
Good price for that one Richard :-D
Jody Carver

Post by Jody Carver »

Mark Switzer

Post by Mark Switzer »

Wow,another chapter in steel guitar history about which I`m totally clueless. What kind of music did this guy do? Any available anywhere?
Wonder if Gary Swallow ever saw one of those bars.
Sorry if this is off-topic.
Andy Sandoval

Post by Andy Sandoval »

What a cool lookin amp :D
Ron Whitfield

Post by Ron Whitfield »

Those amps come with a flip up cover to protect the grill. You can see that he has removed the cover. They are supposedly great sounding. It's another that I've been wanting for years and do show up on Ebay at times, even in good cond.
Thanx for the cool auto'd pic, Jody!
Richard Shatz

Post by Richard Shatz »

Thanks guys,
Vega..........why didn't I think of that? I never saw a Vega double neck before.
I have some Vegas and like most of them a lot.
I really like the metal body one from the mid to late 30s.

It has a dual coil pickup, but I don't think it's a humbucker.

I haven't been very successful acquiring much info about Vega steels. Anybody out there know the history? Are there any old catalogs?
Brad Bechtel

Post by Brad Bechtel »

Brad’s Page of Steel
A web site devoted to acoustic & electric lap steel guitars
John Billings

Post by John Billings »

Richard S. I've got a book by George Gruhn that says the first humbucking pickup was made by Vega for use on their steels. Bet you've got one!
Ron Whitfield

Post by Ron Whitfield »

Long ago I saw a dbl. 7/8 Vega much like this metal one for sale, just missed it. I could tell from the pix it was a good sounding steel ;-) , even tho I quickly realized the PU covers weren't horseshoe PUs, which no doubt were made to impersonate and probably succeeded many times. I've certainly never seen another dbl. Vega like it.
Richard Shatz

Post by Richard Shatz »

John,
What is the name of Gruhn's book with the info on Vega?
John Billings

Post by John Billings »

Richard, I'm in the midst of remodeling, and haven't been able to find out where I put the book! I may have boxed it up. I'll keep looking.
John Billings

Post by John Billings »

Matt Johnson

Post by Matt Johnson »

Some other early Vega oddities:

An electric violin with amp:

Console with amp

Double necks:

Richard Shatz

Post by Richard Shatz »

John,
Thanks for the reference link.
Matt,
Very interesting, especially the doubleneck with the metal covered bodies.
Here's a pic of my similar 6 string single neck.

I guess this one is also a humbucker.

Here's a real early one with a real horseshoe pickup.
It really sounds terrible, but it's sort of cool in kind of rustic way.

Ron Whitfield

Post by Ron Whitfield »

Whoooie! That's just like the Dbl. 7/8 I almost had, Matt. Is that your's? If so, please give a user review. All the other pix are awesome as well.
Matt Johnson

Post by Matt Johnson »

Richard,

That's a really cool model. I got one a few years back, payed too much for it, took it home and.....never looked back. It's a great guitar with two HUGE horseshoe magnets under the metal cover. I got it for what these sell for nowadays (approx.$300-450), but back then it was overpriced. I'll admit it though, it just looked so cool, and after playing it......'nuff said!

Ron,

Nope, that's not my guitar... :( ....but if it sounds like their single neck versions of the model, it has a very mellow tone, with a little sizzle (more so than the early aluminum Nationals). It doesn't compare to Ricky's dynamic tones, but I find it to be a good tone for a nice "muffly" sound.

Here are some pics of the internals, while taking it apart, I noticed that the magnets have lost a lot of pull......maybe resulting in the "mellow tone"? I'm hoping to recharge them someday soon.

And being the history geek I am, I keep my eyes open for literature on these old gems: dig the "free trial offer"!
Richard Shatz

Post by Richard Shatz »

Pre-Amplifier section?
Matt Johnson

Post by Matt Johnson »

Not sure what that meant!....maybe it's how they described the dual coil p/u's function?
Ron Whitfield

Post by Ron Whitfield »

Wow, Matt, you're coming thru with a bunch of pix/info that I've wanted on these for a long time. Thanx!
A 'Triumphal'! Never would have known that. I wonder what the dbl. neck was called...?
I'd like to hear that muffly sound before you zap the PUs. Can you post up something Hawaiian? I'll bet it's close to the big old National and Dobro 'medallion' steels, which sound sweet.
Matt Johnson

Post by Matt Johnson »

As soon as I learn how to record on my computer, I'll post a clip of the Vega. (I know that some kind of recording software came bundled with the operating system on my computer I bought recently).