whats your day job ?

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Joe A. Camacho

Post by Joe A. Camacho »

Graphic Designer/Art Director
James Cann

Post by James Cann »

Adjunct English faculty, Glendale Community College.
Tom Zielinski

Post by Tom Zielinski »

I was a Chemist for several years working for Coca-Cola and a couple of other food R&D companies. I now teach High School Chemistry and AP Chemistry.

I have been playing bass in blues, R&B and jazz bands for almost 20 years. I have yet to convince a band in Buffalo that they need a steel player. :-D
John Coffman

Post by John Coffman »

I am a facilities manager for a large computer data center specializing in HVAC/Power distribition and large generators. It never breaks 9 to 5.
ShowPro SD10, Mullen RP, Bose S1 Pro, GK MB200, MB500, Bugera T50 Tube amp with SlidgeRig, TC HOF reverb effect.
David Doggett
Location: Bawl'mer, MD (formerly of MS, Nawluns, Gnashville, Knocksville, Lost Angeles, Bahsten. and Philly)

Post by David Doggett »

I am a medical research analyst, formerly a research molecular biologist and teacher. Worked my way through school in a camera shop. Before going back to school, I was a laborer for a concrete form company doing high-rise construction in Nashville (where I learned pedal steel). In the '60s I did civil rights work, paralegal work for ACLU, and published a small newspaper in Mississippi. Some people have a checkered employment history. Mine's paisley. :?
Jim Robbins

Post by Jim Robbins »

Bob Blair wrote:I'm a partner in a thriving union-side labour law firm, where I act for a diverse cross-section of trade unions and workers.
Me too.
Colby Tipton

Post by Colby Tipton »

I'm a welding inspector on pipeline projects at present, I came out of retirement (again).
I've been a welder 16 yrs., musician on and off 40 yrs, construction coordinator 3yrs. and inspector 19 yrs..
I like the retired part best of all, I just can't seem to stick with it though.
Ben Godard

Post by Ben Godard »

I am a Field Service Engineer who works on CNC machines in the Carolinas.
Larry Gerdeman

Post by Larry Gerdeman »

After thirty five years as a pipefitter I retired. I now work as a locksmith for the Department of Corrections for the state of Missouri. I work at a womens prison where we have over 2000 women housed.
KENNY KRUPNICK

Post by KENNY KRUPNICK »

I'm a Guillotine Cutter operator in one of the printing companies in Columbus. The printing industry isn't what it used to be,so that along with my bad back,I hope to get out of that line of work,and spend more time behind the guitar. :-D
Scott Moon

Post by Scott Moon »

I spent 25 years as a Peace Officer and retired. The wife got tired of me being around the house all the time so now I work for a local Pest Control Service and have a "license to kill" LOL!! :lol: I also play music on weekends.

Scott
Joe Drivdahl

Post by Joe Drivdahl »

Professor. I teach computer programming, Web Development, and Database design. In the summer, I am a professional musician... well... really more of a bum... but don't tell anyone.

Joe
Joe Drivdahl

Post by Joe Drivdahl »

Professor. I teach computer programming, Web Development, and Database design. In the summer, I am a professional musician... well... really more of a bum... but don't tell anyone.

Joe
Dave Mudgett

Post by Dave Mudgett »

I'm on the Information Sciences and Technology faculty at Penn State University, main campus. I tend to teach hardcore compsci type courses. Came here to be on the Electrical Engineering (control systems and signal processing) faculty quite some years ago.

I've also worked on a tobacco farm, done physics, EE, and compsci research, worked in Keeling's CO[sub]2[/sub] lab at Scripps Oceanographic Institute, did operations research in the automobile industry, and in the middle of everything, took a 6-year "sabbatical freak-out" to run a vintage guitar store while playing music full-time. Throughout, I've played music for the amusement of myself and others.
Jerry Gleason

Post by Jerry Gleason »

for the last 17 years, I have been running a science support facility here at the Univrsity of Oregon. I assist molecular biology and neuroscience researchers with various microscopes (widefield fluorescence, laser scanning confocal, multiphoton) and associated software for 3D / 4D imaging. I also help create publication materials, including printing and laminating large format posters for scientific meetings and conferences. It's a job that entails a lot of problem solving, and I guess that's what I like about it, although I often wish I could be doing something more music related.

Before that, I spent several years as a commercial photographer, doing illustration photography for advertising, catalogs, and such.

Occasionally, I get paid for playing a musical instrument of some sort.
Ricky Thibodeaux

Post by Ricky Thibodeaux »

Mechanical design. 3D cad work. 13 more years and I can call it quits.... :smile:
Dave Grothusen

Post by Dave Grothusen »

Due to a drought I retired from 35 years of farming about three years ago. I am now a Landman (land acquisitions) for a world-wide renewable energy company that is building wind generation sites.
Mike Ester

Post by Mike Ester »

Scott Moon wrote:I spent 25 years as a Peace Officer and retired. The wife got tired of me being around the house all the time so now I work for a local Pest Control Service and have a "license to kill" LOL!! :lol: I also play music on weekends.

Scott
Scott, you wouldn't happen to be with Gold Star Exterminators, would you?
Charlie Tryon

Post by Charlie Tryon »

Well lets see I'm Chief Engineer for three radio stations here in Hamilton. Good job most days but on call 24/7. Even when on vacation have to have phone on to give support. I get all types of music to listen to as we play country old rock and lite rock...can you guess which one is on in my office???

Charlie
My NEW TUBE AMP CWT Amplifiers I build, JACKSON COMMEMORATIVE all wood 3&5, Fender Steel King Amp,Telonics pedal
Scott Moon

Post by Scott Moon »

Yeah Mike...I am at the ol Gold Star with your buddy Craig. :mrgreen:
Bo Legg

Post by Bo Legg »

I can't tell you who I work for but I'm grossly over paid.
Kevin Mincke

Post by Kevin Mincke »

Like Dick....."I'm the law in these here parts" but I'll bet Dickey get's to wear a Stetson/Resistol in his part of the country :smile:
I wanted to do what Mickey does however since growing up by Fleming Field airport in So.St.Paul. :whoa:
Terry Kinnear

Post by Terry Kinnear »

hey Bo, any openings ? I think thats the job , I"m qualified for. Let me know. TK
Terry Kinnear [ steel wondering]
Casey Lowmiller

Post by Casey Lowmiller »

I'm a T.V. News Photojournalist at the #1 station in our market.

Casey
Known Coast to Coast as
"The Man with The Plan"
Bill Terry

Post by Bill Terry »

I'm a 32-bit Automotive Applications Engineer for Freescale Semiconductor. Our Power Architecture microcontrollers are used by Ford, GM, Chrysler, BMW, Honda and just about every other major auto manufacturer. We also support Cummins Diesel, Chrysler Marine and have started working with the Ford and GM Hybrid Vehicle teams.

My area of expertise is the embedded software that runs ECM (engine control modules). It's a challenging software task, that requires managing a lot of A/D conversions (and associated DSP), along with timed I/O controlling spark and fuel; all within very tight time/angle/accuracy constraints.

I tried the music biz for about 15 years starting in the mid-70's, but finally went back to school around 1990 and finished the BSEE degree I started way back right out of High School. I guess you could say I crammed the four year degree plan into about 25.

I have to say this is the first job I've had that makes me as happy as playing music. I've always liked cars and had hot rods, and had an interest in the engineering side of things, so this is just a natural outlet for things I enjoy doing anyway.
Last edited by Bill Terry on 27 Dec 2007 1:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lost Pines Studio
"I'm nuts about bolts"