Canadian Legends of Country Music

Upcoming steel guitar shows, concerts, jam sessions, club dates, etc.

Moderator: Dave Mudgett

John Lacey

Canadian Legends of Country Music

Post by John Lacey »

I'll be backing up some of these folks at the Ranchman's at 8 pm. on Friday and Saturday nites, Sept. 7 and 8th. A partial list is, Dallas Harms, Ronnie Prophet, Ray Griff, Lucille Starr, Dick Damron, Ted Daigle, Carroll Baker, Myrna Lorrie and Buddy Duval, R. Harlan Smith and many others. Look forward to seeing you there.
Herb Steiner

Post by Herb Steiner »

Lucille Starr!? John, when I was a teenager and she and Bob Regan were performing around Los Angeles (ca. 64-65 I think), I had a serious crush on that babe! She was hot! Image

You can tell her I said so, too!

------------------
Herb's Steel Guitar Pages
Texas Steel Guitar Association

Steve Piticco

Post by Steve Piticco »

I used to go to Europe & play with Lucille
Starr where she is still very popular and has
sold in excess of 11 million records there
with my band, South Mountain.

Herb; She is still a babe! Image

John; Please say hello to Dallas Harms, Ronnie Prophet,Dick Damron, Ted Daigle, Carroll Baker & Lucille for me & have a
great time pickin' for these folks', I
know you will!

ISGC; This was the musical highlight in my 26
professional years at playing Country Music!
It was unbeleivable playing Real music with
Real people all weekend! Scotty is an amazing
man, to have put so much time and no sleep
into the greatest thing to happen to me ever!
Scotty's Int'l Steel Guitar Convention!!
Thanks Scotty!!

I Love playin' Real music with Real people Image
Steve Piticco. http://www3.sympatico.ca/spiticco/
Sho-Bud Maverick but mostly a 1976 Tele Image
Al Brisco

Post by Al Brisco »

Hi John,

Please say Hello to all the legends for me as well.

Yes, Steve Piticco sure left people talking about his playing at Scotty's convention, but the folks on the Motor Coach got to hear Steve play with the 5 piece band on the bus all the way down & back from Toronto to St. Louis. I don't know where Steve gets his energy....but I do know that if there is a tune being played, Steve will be there.

I sure enjoyed having the boys along this year!
Al Brisco
Jerry Brightman

Post by Jerry Brightman »

Al,

You and all your supporting players did a marveleous job in St. Louis. It was a very entertaining experinece and I will say this, when Steve kicks in, he makes an afterburner look like a pilot lite. Come to think of it, you were pretty awesome yourself.

Jerry

Rusty Walker

Post by Rusty Walker »

John,Please say HI for me as well.Steve,I knew you would blow them away in St.Louis.Sorry I missed it.Rusty
John Lacey

Post by John Lacey »

Last nite was a lot of fun, mostly the Alberta contingent. Bev Munro, Dick Damron, Jerry Palmer, Hank Smith, R. Harlan Smith and ending with Ray Griff. I've had the pleasure to play with all these people at one time or another and everyone was pumped to do it. All of their tunes lend themselves to steel as their era dictated. Tonite it's the Ontario group, Myrna Lorrie, Carrol Baker, Lucy Starr, Dallas Harms, Ted Daigle and Ronny Prophet.
Tommy Mark

Post by Tommy Mark »

Al and the boys always do us proud. Rusty -we gotta get down there next year - if they let me across the border he he. Have a fun gig John.
Wayne Baker

Post by Wayne Baker »

you know, i'm assigned to NATO here in germany and I work with a bunch of Canadians. Both military and silly-villians.
Great group, but no-one plays steel except me. I'm an okey. By the way, I invented a drink thats sweeping Canada with a storm. Crown and diet coke!! Image

later,
wayne

------------------
Emmons Legrande d-10 w/8&5 Nashville 400, peavey ultraverb II.

John Lacey

Post by John Lacey »

Well, last nite came and went. Things were a little more scattered as the performers arrived late from Toronto and we had to juggle schedules to accomodate them. You know the routine, make up detailed in-order chord charts then throw them up in the air when the time comes. Myrna Lorrie was as dippy and as vague as usual; Ted Daigle was pretty darn good; Gary Fjellegaard doesn't seem to age at all, celebrating 45 years with wife Lynn; great playing with Dallas Harms and doing all those Gene Watson hits; Lucy Starr was sick with bronchitis but still sang her tail off; Bev Monro was pro and fun; Carrol Baker also knocked the crowd out after a sabbatical of a year, then Ronny Prophet got up and entertained by himself. By then, the Ranchman's had turned into a testosterone-driven loud jerky niteclub that it was always was and us old farts took off running for the exits to the strains of A.C./
D.C. Made me feel kinda old and out of it, but I like it that way! Sorry to sound so jaded, but it was the wrong venue for the event. A community hall would have been better. Got a chance to meet industry builders Don Grashey and Chuck Williams again after many years. All in all, a fun gig minus the panic. <FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by John Lacey on 09 September 2001 at 08:23 AM.]</p></FONT>
Greg Simmons

Post by Greg Simmons »

Cool John;

wasn't Don Grashey the Zero Records guy from Vancouver who cut some of Loretta Lynn's really early stuff when she lived in Wash. state?

------------------
Greg Simmons
Custodian of the Official Sho~Bud Pedal Steel Guitar Website
shobud.cjb.net

<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Greg Simmons on 09 September 2001 at 09:47 AM.]</p></FONT>
John Lacey

Post by John Lacey »

Right you are, Greg. He was responsible for Loretta's career in the early stages and for much of Carol Baker's success.
Roger Miller

Post by Roger Miller »

Steve: I'm sure you don't remember back in the 80's, you and Jeff King and I got kicked out of 2 motels in Calgary during the Stampede, for jamming all night. You were playing with Terry Carissi and Jeff and I was at the 400club in Calgary. Anyway you were incredible and I will not go to Calgary again, I partied too much and almost hurt myself. It is good to see you here and good luck.