NV112 direct out question

Steel guitar amplifiers, effects, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Michael Haselman

NV112 direct out question

Post by Michael Haselman »

Here's the deal: Most of the time I mic the NV112, but sometimes due to time constraints, testy sound techs that want to work quickly, etc., I use the XLR out. The problem has been that it sends too hot of a signal, and I end up pegging the channel I'm in. Still sounds good, but the techs don't like it. Is there any way of attenuating that signal coming out of the direct out without changing my front settings?
Mullen RP D10, Peavey NV112, Hilton volume. Hound Dog reso. Piles of other stuff.
Dennis Wallis

Post by Dennis Wallis »

That should be a "line level" signal and should not be so hot as to distort. The tech may have your input attenuator set too high. It adjusts the line voltage coming into the input.If it is too high it can cause distortion. It is also labeled "Gain" most of the time.He should know that already but that signal should be just right for direct send.Unless there is something wrong with the amp itself. If he is using the same level setting as when you use a live mike that would make a difference. Sounds like he needs to turn the gain down and then adjust the fader for the output.
Michael Haselman

Thanks, Dennis. I'll remember that next time.
Mullen RP D10, Peavey NV112, Hilton volume. Hound Dog reso. Piles of other stuff.
Terry Huval

Post by Terry Huval »

The Nashville 112 XLR DI output is indeed very hot. The gain on the main mixer must be set almost to "0" to keep the signal at a suitable level. I finally purchased a Hosa in-line XLR-XLR attenuator to bring the output level low enough to where there was adequate range adjustment on the main mixer. I have used this amp with numerous mixers and have had the same issue. It is the only function of this amp that I would like to have seen some modification.

Terry
Michael Haselman

Thank you, Terry. I had a hunch that something in between the direct out and board would be useful. I saw one on Ebay for $16. I assume it's the one you're talking about, with a switch for 3 different levels of attenuation.
Bo Borland

Post by Bo Borland »

I reversed the settings for the Pre & Master gain, setting the pre gain down to between 3 & 5 depending on how loud the stage volume is and the Master to 5-6. It's still a hot signal, the amp sounds great ...that said, I normally opt for my SM58 instead of direct... it sounds better
Bo Borland
Rittenberry SD10 , Derby D-10, Quilter TT12, Peavey Session 400 w/ JBL, NV112, Fender Blues Jr. , 1974 Dobro 60N squareneck, Rickenbacher NS lapsteel, 1973 Telecaster Thinline, 1979 blonde/black Frankenstrat
Currently picking with
Mason Dixon Band masondixonband.net
Terry Huval

Post by Terry Huval »

Michael,

That is the exact device I have. I set it to the middle attenuation option and have all the flexibility range I need on the board - with no loss of quality. In order to not have this device stick out, I attached it to a short XLR cable from the amp. Works great.

Terry
Jonathan Cullifer

Post by Jonathan Cullifer »

Are they running the signal from the amp into the mic input or the line input on the mixer? In most of the sound boards I have used, it's impossible to actually "attenuate" the mic input on a given channel (the lowest I normally see is 5 db gain). What they need to do is run the signal into the line in jack (which will probably require an XLR to 1/4" TRS adapter). That should give them the levels they want.
Michael Haselman

Thank you, also, Jonathan. I never thought about that when the sound tech runs a line. He just assumes it's like another DI and runs a mic cord from XLR out to the board. I carry one of those adaptors, so next time I'll see if we can use the line-in rather than XLR in. I believe I'll also pick up one of those Hosa attenuators also. Either method sounds like it would work better than it has been working.