How many from the British Isles

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Bent Romnes

Post by Bent Romnes »

I read it over twice but could not find this name: Dave Seddon. His tasteful steel playing can be heard and seen on youtube under the name of Shakey.
Bill McKillop

Post by Bill McKillop »

Hi John,
Been playing about 27 years and don't think I've got any better but still getting away with it. I've played with various bands over the years and I now play with Texas Express and have done so for about 15 years.I don't see me leaving now! We have a great time. I play everywhere in Scotland and sometimes venture into Northern England and have also played in Donegal. I have done some session work and was involved in one four weeks ago. It was a bit different as it wasn't a country song. Refreshing!
I have two Emmons guitars - a 1980 Push Pull Loafer and an early Legrande 1 D10 I also have a D10 Carter that I mainly use these days due to its light weight. I also think it has a great tone.

Best wishes

Bill
Jonathan Shacklock

Post by Jonathan Shacklock »

I've only been at this for two and a half years and jamming/recording with a few friends is as public as I dare go right now! I've played a few different instruments in my 36 years but this is the only one that's got me fully hooked (line, sinker, the lot). I'll be looking to join a band again in the next couple of years I expect... mean time, back to the woodshed...

Jon
John Roche

Post by John Roche »

Jonathan, get into a band now
David Langdon

Post by David Langdon »

Started playing in about 1978 on a student ZB. Got a Sho Bud crossover a couple of years later which was in a mess. I converted it to LDG set up.
I stopped playing steel for a few years and got rid of the gear, but then built a ten string which was great for a while. I then built a 12 string keyless which I'm still playing. It's really stable and I rarely have to tune it during a gig.
I'm building another one with a few subtle mods to the original, but it's mainly to have a back up.
I have my own band 'Magic Car' that I play with and have done loads of studio work over the years. I've done alot of stuff with Rick Kemp from Steeleye Span, but others include Scott 4, Laura Mayne Kerbrat and the 22-20s.
Although I can play the standard country stuff I like to explore different genres of music which I find interesting.
I have my own 24 track analogue studio.
Bob Haskell

Post by Bob Haskell »

Hi guys,yes Im still about.. Keep the list going..
Micky Byrne

Post by Micky Byrne »

To you guys reading this thread, David Langdon was the person who rebuilt my burned Sho-Bud. A nicest person you could ever wish to meet. That 12 string keyless universal he built is in a class of it's own. It's totally unique, a work of art.

Micky Byrne United Kingdom

Carter and Sho-Bud universals Peavey and Evans amps.
Lewis John Foote

Post by Lewis John Foote »

howdy, im from the, united kingdom, new member,not sure if im clasyfied as being a steel player, only been at it for 20, months, i play a sho-bud pro 1 early type with the volume - tone controls on the back apron, nash,400, been reading all the info on the forum for a while now, very interesting topics, and info, very educasional, hope i never get tired of playing the steel, even though ive not been playin long i get a lot of satisfaction from it, besides meeting and hearing other people play,one of the best things ive done in life, should have started years ago, lew,
John Roche

Post by John Roche »

Hi Lewis John Foote, Your more then welcome, you qualify , your from the UK and you play steel guitar. Don't forget we were all in your position at one one time, as for getting tired of playing the steel it will never happen, the steel becomes your wife / your lover
/ someone you can reley upon throught out you life . It's alway there for you , your life will never be the same again. Am I right guy's?
John Roche

Post by John Roche »

While I'm here , do anyone know what happened to this chap, we did a show for the Beeb back in the 80's and Drew was the guest artist, we had no time for rehearsal for the song,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kuu0YwRTa-8
Carl Heatley

Post by Carl Heatley »

Carl Heatley hear,From Helston,Cornwall,near England.
Pedal steel,Banjo,Mandolin,Dobro,Bass,Tele,Vocals.
I played with Frank Yonco and the everglades in the 80s,(The good old days)...and done some gigs with Warren Reeves and the Clarksberg exspress from Skegness,Ricky and the ramrods from Cornwall.Lots of Duo and solo work in the south west.
I moved to Norway about 19 years ago and worked mainly as a "One man band" makeing lots of money(The good old days)
Now living in Maryland,U.S.A but will be moving back to Norway In Febuary 08.(ya cant beat that Free medical and 100% Home loans)

Does anyone know how to get in touch with Kevin Duffy,(Melvin Duffy's father)and Faron Kelf,I would realy like to reminisce with them about the old days.
And what ever happend to Warren Reeves???
Alan Brookes

Post by Alan Brookes »

Carl Heatley wrote:Carl Heatley here,from Helston,Cornwall,near England...
Aha ! a Kernow nationalist. I thought you guys had been dead for 200 years. :D
Carl Heatley

Post by Carl Heatley »

Alan F. Brookes wrote:
Carl Heatley wrote:Carl Heatley here,from Helston,Cornwall,near England...
Aha ! a Kernow nationalist. I thought you guys had been dead for 200 years. :D
Hi Al,
O no...We are now Breading in other country's now you know!
Jamie Lennon

Post by Jamie Lennon »

Another guy from Birmingham, plays dobro, steel, guitar, banjo etc etc

"STUART JOHNSON"
Mullen Guitars, Little Walter Amps, Benado Effects, D'Addario Strings

www.georgettejones.net
Micky Byrne

Post by Micky Byrne »

Hi Carl....I remember Frank Yonko well, used to play on the same bill years ago. He had Dave Knutt on steel then...this was the 70's. Re Faron, last I heard Faron plays and lives in Germany. Unfortunately I've lost his e'mail address. Last e'mail he sent me was he got a new Bennett D-10 with 10 knee/levers :) When he was a kid his dad used to bring him to see me play in the Yarmouth/Norfolk area. I saw him play some years later and he was amazing :)

Micky Byrne United Kingdom
Ken Byng

Post by Ken Byng »

Lewis John Foote wrote:howdy, im from the, united kingdom, new member,not sure if im clasyfied as being a steel player, only been at it for 20, months, i play a sho-bud pro 1 early type with the volume - tone controls on the back apron, nash,400, been reading all the info on the forum for a while now, very interesting topics, and info, very educasional, hope i never get tired of playing the steel, even though ive not been playin long i get a lot of satisfaction from it, besides meeting and hearing other people play,one of the best things ive done in life, should have started years ago, lew,
Lew - hope to meet up with you at the Bluebird Christmas steel show next Monday. I'll be the one with the skin coloured hair!!
Brian Henry

Post by Brian Henry »

Hi, I am also from the UK - only just!! I am from Belfast N.Ireland. I sneaked in to the USA back in 1982, by way of Johannesburg South Africa. I am a teacher and am currently playing. . Currently I have two guitars. 2 identical Maroon ETS’s. Hybrid models with MSA and carter add ons. Although I had to sneak in to the US, I got my green card in 1992 and I became a US citizen in 1997 an have been quite legit for many years.
Last edited by Brian Henry on 28 Jul 2020 3:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LOOKOUT MOUNTAIN GEORGIA
Simon Stephenson

Post by Simon Stephenson »

I'm from the UK too. I've been playing for over a year and a half but I've been playing PSG in my band for almost a year (fast learner I guess). I hardly ever play the old 6 string anymore.

If you have a second, check out my first ever PSG recording (Let The Love Shine In) on http://www.myspace.com/thefamilyonline
Dave Boothroyd

Post by Dave Boothroyd »

Dave Boothroyd, performing under the name Darowyn. I'm Head of Music at Worcester College, and live in Malvern.
I play a national Console 8, but since I do gigs as a solo singer/songwriter, you'll only hear my steel playing on my recordings (available on iTunes), on which I also play bass, acoustic and electric guitars, mandolin, keyboards, melodeon, percussion and computer.
I was first introduced to steel with a Band I used to know in the 70s, called Wally- they had two successful albums on Atlantic- but it was years later I decided to have a go myself. The only steel I could find (that I could afford) was a home made thing that I found in the back of a music shop. The pickup was made of wood and incorporated two driver coils from an old pair of headphones.- but I learned to play it.
Having aquired some money later, I decided to try a pedal steel, so I went to Music Ground in Doncaster and tried several. After nearly two hours, I could not even play a major scale on one, so that plan has been postponed indefinitely. I bought the National on Ebay from someone in Canada.
Incidentally, I heard from the frontman of Wally recently. Roy has a new CD out with some lovely PSG from Jerry Hogan, and fabulous dobro from Will Jackson. Probably, they are both from the Leeds area.
Check out http://www.jacksonwebber.com and of course, http://www.darowyn.co.uk. The steel player from Wally, Paul Middleton, is in an outfit called "The Angst Band", and they are well worth seeking out too.
Cheers
Dave
Ken Byng

Post by Ken Byng »

John Roche wrote:While I'm here , do anyone know what happened to this chap, we did a show for the Beeb back in the 80's and Drew was the guest artist, we had no time for rehearsal for the song,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kuu0YwRTa-8
John - Is that you on steel? Looks very much to me like Barry Smith who played with Frank Jennings for many years. A very good picker. If its you I reckon you have a double. I did many recording sessions with Drew Taylor in the mid to late 70's. He was a great player. Karl Benson (bass) and Bob Pearce (drums) all played in the Syndicate along with Drew, and we all played on a substantial number of British country music albums.

Ken
John Roche

Post by John Roche »

Micky, that is me on my old ZB. Barry was a good looking guy ,LOL
Stephan Franck

Post by Stephan Franck »

I remember a cat from the 80's called Steve Bloomfield who played in the UK rockabilly band Matchbox. If I remember corectly, the guy played anything with strings, including some steel. Do you guys know who I'm talking about? Is he still around?
Micky Byrne

Post by Micky Byrne »

John, that was Ken asking you the question....the old brain huh??? Lol....actually Ken, you and Drew were on one of mine and Julie's albums done in Mid Wales in the mid 70's.You played guitar 'cause I had already done the steel parts. I remember it was freezing in that studio, as he hadn't got the new desk etc in that long. Re Barry Smith, he now lives in France. I've seen him very often and depped for him before he made the complete move with wife Sandy to France. Barry is completely grey, beard too. He was 60 a month after me. I was invited to the 60th birthday bash as it was the last before he moved over the channel. Shame I missed that do. Bob Pearce, Grahame Walker and all that bunch were there :)

Micky Byrne .... still in England :D
John Roche

Post by John Roche »

Sorry Micky, I just turned 63 last friday, don't it happen quickly ( getting confused I mean .)
Barry was a great steel player and a nice guy.

Ken. are you still working Denis Cremin from Swindon?
Great player Denis ,all rounder ,fiddle guitar piano anything with strings. We were togeather for many years way back in the 70's in a band called Kinda Country.
We had a girl singer Linda Duggen who went on to do backing vocals for Boy George, I belive she writes songs for boy bands now.
Rick Batey

Post by Rick Batey »

Last edited by Rick Batey on 10 Jan 2009 6:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.