Boston

Upcoming steel guitar shows, concerts, jam sessions, club dates, etc.

Moderator: Dave Mudgett

Van Ertel

Boston

Post by Van Ertel »

Any steel guitar in Boston this weekend?
manny escobar

Post by manny escobar »

Does nearbye Wemouth, Mass. count? I`ll be playing steel with Cindy Lane & True Country Saturday night at the Wemouth American Legion. This is the same club that hosted the "Escobar Steel Guitar Circle Jam" on May 9th.
manny escobar

Post by manny escobar »

Sorry I just checked my calendar. Cindy Lane & True Country is playing in Middleboro Mass. The date is Sat. Aug. 4th. We are not playing in Wemouth, Mass. We have been playing all over the area and it gets to my brain after a while.
Chip Fossa

Post by Chip Fossa »

John Lincoln Wright may still be playing the
Boston circuit. Back in 71'-72' he fronted
a group called John Lincoln Wright and the
SourMash Boys. John Macy used to be their
steelplayer. He's a Forumite, and may just know more of the whereabouts of JLW.
JLW stands about 5' 6" and has a voice as big as the sky. He hails from up Maine and
can sing with the best of them.

Don't know if he has a band now, or not. The
SourMash Boys were a 7-pc group. I'm pretty sure he's still playing the Boston circuit.
P Gleespen

Post by P Gleespen »

Well, I know it's not Boston, but an hour or so North in Portland, the Campbell Brothers are playing (sacred steel). That's on Saturday night.

I'd be there FOR SURE if I didn't have a gig in Cambridge. (at the Middle East, torturing my Stringmaster in an Xtra noisey math-rock band, if that kind of thing interests you...)
Chris DeBarge

Post by Chris DeBarge »

Chip, Lincoln's still around but I don't think he uses steel. Hey Patrick, I'd love to come see you but I have an out of town gig. What's the band's name, the "Diffy Q's"? bad math joke.
Joe Casey

Post by Joe Casey »

You might want to check the western Mass area where Sammy Gibson plays solid Steel on Saturday night at the Lakeview in in Palmer Mass. Or the Amvets in Chicopee where host Dick King usually has Joey Baer featuring Jimmy Roule a (Monster picker)or hunt up Doug Beaumier if he is playing anywhere.Or in the Waltham area I'm sure Frankie Caruso is giging somewhere.there are a bunch of gooduns up there.

------------------
CJC

P Gleespen

Post by P Gleespen »

Oh Van, here's another show I found:

At the Kendall Cafe in Cambridge (right across the river from Boston), there's a three band bill. The 2nd band, "The Confidence Men" has a pedal steeler in tow. I've never heard them, so I can't make any promises about quality.... The 3rd band is "The Demolition String Band" from NYC, who (I'm told) have a Cowboy Junkies meets Son Volt kind of thing going. I don't think they've got a steeler, though...

Chris, that band I'm playing with is temporarily called "Placer" (one of those last minute, "quick-make up a name for the show!" names). It's kind of the remnants of that band "Barbaro" if you know who that is/was...
Doug Beaumier

Post by Doug Beaumier »

Joe, I'll be at Boomer's in Groten CT (the old Norm's Lounge) on Sat. nite. Sam is still in the house band at the Lakeview? Wow, that must be some kind of a record! I saw him playing there 20 years ago.

------------------
www.dougbsteel.com

Bill Fall

Post by Bill Fall »

Come back to Boston in a couple of weeks. The Everly Bros. are playing the Music Circus in Cohasset on Aug. 24, with Emmons I'm sure.
Chip Fossa

Post by Chip Fossa »

Bill, I caught The Ev's there last year about the same time. Music-in-the-round.
It was a great show. Who could deny that.

Yeah Chris, if what you say is true, it's probably just another sign of the times. Too
bad, cause I'm sure JLW loved/loves the steel
as much as any of us. JLW&TSMB's were way ahead of their time when they were up and running. They did a lot of original songs,
and played the h$#@ out of swing stuff, especially Bob Wills' tunes.

Commander Cody & TLPA were taking off at that time as well. Both these two groups just yanked me right into swing. To me, it was instantly infectious; still is.
Hal Higgins

Post by Hal Higgins »

I have wondered over the years where JLW was, and if he was still playing. I was in the Boston area when John Macey was playin' steel for him. I was playing with a group called John Penny and the Country Sounds. That is where I also met Frankie Caruso, Donny Dion (another great steeler)Tommy Cass. Al Eyles was a picker and had a music store in Fitchburg, MA. Thanks for the memories...............
Mike Ihde

Post by Mike Ihde »

If you're around Berklee College of Music on the evening of August 7th, my student Country band is giving a concert at the 921 Boylston St. building. Free to all. They're a great bunch of pickers and singers and I play Guitar and Lap with them.
Don Sulesky

Post by Don Sulesky »

I lived in Arlington before I moved to Florida and by far I thought that the band Cabin Fever was the best I had ever heard with Jeff Paterson on steel although I did think he overplayed behind the singer.
I also believe Eddie Steeves played with Wheatstraw and they were very good also.
If I remember correctly, Terry Sutton also played steel for John Penny.
Don
John Macy

Post by John Macy »

This thread brings back some good memories. I helped start the John Lincoln Wright Band (it was my first band) and played with him from '72 until I moved to Colorado to work with Michael Martin Murphey in '76.

I remember all the names mentioned, though I owe Tommy Cass a mountain of debt (or an ass whupping Image) for helping me get started and keeping me at it (and Al Eyles for selling me that first P/P Emmons... Image). Don't forget Jeff Peterson, who moved to Texas the week after I left and got the Clint Black gig. It was a really great scene back then, I'm glad I remember some of it(we weren't called the Sourmash Boys for nothing).

There is some plotting going on for a 30 year reunion show with the Lincoln Wright band for summer 2002... Now that will be cool. Stay tuned...