finger picks hurt

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Jerry H. Moore

finger picks hurt

Post by Jerry H. Moore »

I found a thumb pick that's OK but my finger picks start getting uncomfortable after a while. What are some options? :\ :\ :\
Pete Macomber

Post by Pete Macomber »

Wear the picks when you're not playing to develop calluses.
Larry Strawn

Post by Larry Strawn »

Jerry,

I don't think there is any right or wrong way,[what works for one may not work for another].

What I do when I have to break in a new finger pick, and that's not to often because I gaurd them like they are gold! :D I'll keep a small pair of needle nose pliers, and a small piece of fine emory cloth handy, and when it starts hurting I'll make a small adjustment and play some more. Sometimes it can be a long drawn out process, but eventually they will be right. Then Heaven help who ever starts to grab my picks! :lol:

Larry
Carter SD/10, 4&5 Hilton Pedal, Peavey Sessions 400, Peavey Renown 400, Home Grown Eff/Rack
"ROCKIN COUNTRY"
Jerry H. Moore

Post by Jerry H. Moore »

Then theres that tragic story of the guy that had a wreck and had the picks on and they thought he was a banjo picker..:lol: .....I really think this will be my fix!!! I ride a lot and I can spend time adjusting and callusing. Thanks! Oh yea does anybody use the plastic finger picks?
Michael Hardee

Post by Michael Hardee »

You might try a set of Perfect Touch fingerpicks. I never was able to find a fingerpick I was really satisfied with until I tried them. Completely comfortable no matter how many hours I have them on, because of their design you don't have to wear them tight to be secure, and the design also eliminates 'pick click.'
Jerry Overstreet

Post by Jerry Overstreet »

Naw, you just need to get out the long nosed pliers and taper them to fit your fingers. You should be able to wear your picks all day long without them hurting you. One of the many, many things I learned from Jeff.

Nice, heavy gauge picks countoured to fit your fingers will give you a huge part of the tone you crave without any of the pain.
Neil Getz

Post by Neil Getz »

I agree with the needle-nose method of J.O. and L.S.. To amplify what was said: New finger-picks are shaped as if the tips of your fingers are cylinders, but at the place where you put a finger-pick they are closer to cones. Use the pliers to twist the sides into a (slightly) more conical profile and the picks will be much more comfortable. And yes, use heavy gauge picks that will keep their profile once shaped. I find the inexpensive National's (or copies) to be just right. You can get a dozen for $10 on eBay (see Hank's House of Steel).

Like L.S. said, make a habit of small adjustments over a few weeks and you will have a set that fits. Then start on your first backup set.
John Roche

Post by John Roche »

Try Perfect Touch, you will never go back..
David Doggett
Location: Bawl'mer, MD (formerly of MS, Nawluns, Gnashville, Knocksville, Lost Angeles, Bahsten. and Philly)

Post by David Doggett »

After I get the picks shaped comfortably with pliers, as described above, I wrap some adhesive tap or freiction tape around the back of the picks where they fit over the nail cuticles. In addition to making the picks more comfortable, the tape helps the picks stay on.
Michael Pierce

fingerpicks

Post by Michael Pierce »

I have had a problem with fingerpicks hurting, especially during colder, drier months. My solution has been to go to the local drug store and buy the little pads that fit on the nose piece of eyeglasses. I put a couple of them on each of the inner sides of the fingerpick for a cushion. Looks nerdy, but works really well and, like Dave's solution, help keeps them on.
Roger Crawford

Post by Roger Crawford »

Jerry H. Moore wrote:Then theres that tragic story of the guy that had a wreck and had the picks on and they thought he was a banjo picker..:lol: .....I really think this will be my fix!!! I ride a lot and I can spend time adjusting and callusing. Thanks! Oh yea does anybody use the plastic finger picks?
That's why I always keep my bar in my pocket!!!
Stephen Silver

Post by Stephen Silver »

I sometimes have a probem with my cuticles with my picks, so I take extra special care of them.

SS
Life is mostly Attitude and Timing
Ray Minich

Post by Ray Minich »

After a few years the dents in the fingers are permanent and the picks just nest nicely...
Tamara James

Pro Pick?

Post by Tamara James »

Has anyone ever used this type of pick? It's a ProPick, I believe.

I have been using it for several months and I really like it.

Here is just one of the links for perfect Touch:
http://www.angiesbanjo.com/perfect-pick ... rpicks.htm
Michael Barone

Post by Michael Barone »

I used single wrap ProPiks for about a year, cobalt plated. I thought at the time that the cobalt plating was providing an improved tone regarding pick attack. Then I tried Perfect Touch Picks. I couldn't get the tone that I wanted at first. After trying angle adjustments I got the sound, comfort, balance and tone I was searching for. I'm glad I made the investment. Like John says, you'll never go back. I use 3 and a thumb.

Mike
Frank DeNigris

Post by Frank DeNigris »

I'm new to pickin with picks, but I too have issues. I will have to try these Perfect Touch fingerpicks!

:)
Bob Hoffnar

Post by Bob Hoffnar »

Bob
David Collins

Post by David Collins »

Tamara,

I use the Pro-Pik with double bands, but with solid "pick".

I love them.
David Collins
www.chjoyce.com
Ben Jones

Post by Ben Jones »

I wrap a couple small band-aids around em with the "pad" portion of the bandaid facing my cuticles.
easy, cheap, prevents slippage also.
Bill Henry Plant

Post by Bill Henry Plant »

Fingers hurting? well just how much time do people spend per day on the guitar? No one told me that it takes up so much time when I started three weeks ago. I am still plodding along trying to hold my hand in the correct position AND block.
Please tell me that it is all worthwhile.
Bill
Alex McCollough

Post by Alex McCollough »

I found a thumb pick that's OK but my finger picks start getting uncomfortable after a while. What are some options?
have you tried accordion?
Jerry H. Moore

Post by Jerry H. Moore »

Hey Alex!!!! ( ! ) The new strings are fantastic! Now my fingers hurt....Good idea to bust up the old accordion and make it into picks. I remember you and I sitting in two chairs knee to knee playing that thing. I'll miss it. :cry:
Michael Holland

Post by Michael Holland »

Eyeglass nosepad cushions. Get 'em at any Walgreens.

Charlie McDonald

Post by Charlie McDonald »

Well take 'em off!
Those that say don't know; those that know don't say.--Buddy Emmons
Jim Sliff

Post by Jim Sliff »

I completely flatten the "comfort curve" - once I did that (years ago) fingerpicks were perfectly comfortable with minor adjustments. The "curve" makes no sense to me at all - its only purpose seems to be to cause pain!
No chops, but great tone
1930's/40's Rickenbacher/Rickenbacker 6&8 string lap steels
1921 Weissenborn Style 2; Hilo&Schireson hollownecks
Appalachian, Regal & Dobro squarenecks
1959 Fender 400 9+2 B6;1960's Fender 800 3+3+2; 1948 Fender Dual-8 Professional