Earl Erb's New CD

Upcoming steel guitar shows, concerts, jam sessions, club dates, etc.

Moderator: Dave Mudgett

Earl Erb

Post by Earl Erb »

Bob and Mark,you guys are too kind.Thanks very much for the compliments.I think its more than I deserve but I'll take them.It warms my heart to know you all like my music and if I have the opportunity to do another one I will. So,to a couple of long time friends...thanks. Image
Jackie Toney

Post by Jackie Toney »

Man oh man what a great CD. I love it! Thank you so much Earl for giving us a chance to hear you play. This music is just fantastic! What kind of amp do you use? Sure wish I could pick like that.

Thanks Again
Jackie

------------------
www.steelinusa.com
Earl Erb

Post by Earl Erb »

OK,now I'm getting chill bumps.Jackie,thank you so much for the compliment and I am really happy you like the music.You all got the CD sooner than I thought.I mailed out 22 CD requests last Friday afternoon.
Regarding my amp situation...I actually own three amps.I have a Fender Twin,a 1973 model Sho-Bud and I just recently got my hands on an Evans amp that I bought from Jim Murphy.I didn't use any of them recording the CD.I recorded direct using a Line 6 POD pre-amp.I wanted to get the cleanest sound possible and I thought my amps were a little too noisey to use on the project.
It took me about a year to do this but it was well worth the time and effort,especially with the good feed back I have gotten. Again,Jackie,thank you so much. Image
Dave Van Allen

Post by Dave Van Allen »

got mine today- am halfway thru listening...

I agree with every other positive statement in this thread...

WOW!

Fire and rain knocks me out!

Line6 POD eh? sounds great!

but then it's a Telecaster!
Janice Brooks

Post by Janice Brooks »

I forgot to bring my copy downstairs so i will save it for on the bus tomorrow.

------------------
Janice "Busgal" Brooks
ICQ 44729047
Earl Erb

Post by Earl Erb »

Dave,thanks very much and I hope you like the second half.LOL ImageGlad you like "Fire and Rain" that is also my wifes favorite cut.Hope the CD brings you many hours of enjoyment Image.
Al Johnson

Post by Al Johnson »

Earl, there is nice music, played like an
expect, talented jazz guitar man. All the
Things You Are, up and swingin'/Tenderly,
beautiful as it should be/Steel Guitar Rag,
kinda short(to me)but some great new ideas/
sorry I don't get to hear the entire 42+
minutes today, I will be playing the entire
CD tomorrow. Sorry, Earl, still sounds like
a fine arch top guitar doing jazz. Great job.
More comments to come. Thank you Earl, a very
fine recording. Al. A telecaster, right?
Dave Van Allen

Post by Dave Van Allen »

Earl...
I had to interrupt my listening to go to the dentist.
Had a wisdom tooth pulled.

As I was kicking back waiting for the novacaine to wear off and the codiene to kick in I got to listen to the rest of your fabulous CD... even thru the pain it was great Image
pdl20

Post by pdl20 »

Earl ,you got a winner. you played your a---- off.and guys dont ever let him on a steel giutar cause we be in heap big trouble.his steel guitar rag is a killer.this cd is great,its so easy on the ears and a pleasure to listen to. i know it aint a steel guitar but guys you can learn from this man.such taste and a smooth touch.ya gotta have one.
John Floyd

Post by John Floyd »

When Earl emailed me the cut of Tenderly. All I could do was say WOW!!!. That seems to be the most used word in all these posts.

Earl your Recognition is LONG OVERDUE.
Congratulations my Friend.

------------------
JCF (The Picker formerly known as Sleepy John)
<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by John Floyd on 08 May 2001 at 08:17 AM.]</p></FONT>
Earl Erb

Post by Earl Erb »

Thanks Al...and yes it is a Telecaster.I actually have three of them all with different set ups.I also own a 1968 Gibson Byrdland that I bought knew.I don't play it very much anymore, I like my Tele's.I don't expect to please everybody and I know my style might not suit everybody.Lets just say I love to improvise but I do not consider myself to be a jazzer.I think there is a difference.Hope you enjoy my work. Image
Earl Erb

Post by Earl Erb »

Thanks Rudy, your compliments are overwhelming and I am glad you like the music...and John ole' buddy...what more can I say other than, your checks in the mail. ImageYou've been a good friend and an inspiration.
Russ Wever

Post by Russ Wever »

Earl -
Wow! What a nice surprise to hear such great playing come in such an 'un-assuming' way!
Your arrangements sure keep my ears 'at attention' - Haven't heard a tele sound that 'healthy' since Ed Bickert.
Hey Earl - could you give us a bit more of a musical 'bio' on yourself - that'd be intersting to know.
Thanks,
~ Russ
Tim Hurst

Post by Tim Hurst »

I got my copy of Earl's alb...er, uh CD (there I go showing my age) last night when I got home from the office, and it's great. Having heard him play years ago I knew it would be good, but it surpasses all my expectations. Wish some steel player would get him to come along to Scottie's convention in a few months. (Remember several years ago at the old Chase Park Hotel in St. Louis when Paul Franklin brought along this kid nobody knew who was a monster guitar player and introduced Brent Mason to the steel guitar community.) Of course everyone on the forum is familiar with Earl through his posts, but I'm sure a lot of people would like to see him play live.
Earl Erb

Post by Earl Erb »

Hi Russ,I don't want to bore you with details so I'll try and keep this as brief as possible.
I started playing guitar when I was 9 yrs old,I am now 54.After spending 2 yrs in the army I moved to Nashville in Oct.of 1968.From 1968 until 1976 I worked the road with Barbara Mandrell,Skeeter Davis,Roger Miller,and Jim Ed Brown.I played on Jim Ed Brown's Country Place and Nashville On The Road.I got off the road in 1976 and married Marcy Cates of the Cates Sisters.From 1977 until 1987 I worked around town doing everything from radio,tv,Opryland,TNN and some session work.In 1983 and 84 while at Opryland I was in the staff band for the Porter Wagoner At Opryland Show.I worked in the Opryland Hotel for 2 yrs with Harpist Loydd Lindroth.I quit the music business in 1987 and didn't pick up a guitar until Nov.1998.I wood shed for a year and when I felt confident enough with my playing I started recording the tunes last year for the CD.It took me a year to get it done.I guess I wanted to prove to myself I could still pick. Image Thanks for asking. Image<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Earl Erb on 08 May 2001 at 08:06 PM.]</p></FONT>
Earl Erb

Post by Earl Erb »

Hi Tim,thanks for the good words and I am glad you liked the CD. I enjoy the photo you took of me in July 1972 at Gatlinburg with Jim Ed Brown.I was 25yrs old when you took that photo but I looked like I was 15. Image
Gary Walker

Post by Gary Walker »

Enough of this goings on about the CD. I'm like Jim, WHERE DO I GET ONE? Is anyone out there as to where we line up and QUIT teasing us and clue us in. I have a video shot of Porter at Opryland on his show and introducing the band and Earl was in it and each member did a blurb as Porter introduced them, how about it? Thanks, Gary
Bill Hamner

Post by Bill Hamner »

Hi Earl, Got the CD yesterday. John's opening post covers my sentiments pretty well. A wonderful piece of work. I have a
long time friend who is an fine guitarist,
has played a telecaster since '57 or '58, and I asked him to take a guess on what you were playing.When I finally told him it was a telecaster he just rared back and said
"Bill, the cheese has done slid of your cracker. Ain't no way that's a Tele"
Thanks for sharing your CD with me, Bill
John Floyd

Post by John Floyd »

<SMALL>The cheese has done slid off your cracker.</SMALL>
Bill , What a Line, Image Do you mind If I borrow it? I promise only to use it in North Eastern North Carolina and South Eastern Virginia. Image

------------------
JCF (The Picker formerly known as Sleepy John)

<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by John Floyd on 09 May 2001 at 05:47 AM.]</p></FONT>
Darvin Willhoite

Post by Darvin Willhoite »

I got my copy yesterday and man, I'm blown away. I am a huge fan of Howard Roberts, Pat Martino, numerous other Jazz players, and Chet Atkins, and I rate this CD right up there with the best of any of these guys. Great work Earl, and on a Tele; I still can't believe it. If some record company doesn't pick this up and run with it, they are making a huge mistake. (One thing that may scare them off is "Steel Guitar Rag" on a Jazz CD - Ha Ha)
Russ Rickmann

Post by Russ Rickmann »

Earl, I just received your CD. Let me say this is a real portrait of music, created by a ture artist ! The selections encompass 360 degrees of style, with something to please everyone's palette. Your touch is that of a master and I have to compliment you on your use of contrary motion. It is simply great ! I found myself laughing to myself on a few of your passages....your choice of notes could not have been better. And your chord substitution.....WOW ! As of yet, I have not picked out a favorite piece, and will likely not, for all are at the apex of musicial interpretation. Your work should serve as an inspriation to all musicians regardless of their chosen instrument. Thank you for sharing with me the true joy of music. For those of you who have not had the privilege of hearing Earl's CD....you know not what you are missing. Thank you Earl from a true fan, Russ
memphislim

Post by memphislim »

If Earl has got any of these left, get one.
There's not more that I can add that hasn't already been said. Awesome! Thanks for the disc Earl and let me know when you have another one ready.
Ken Lang

Post by Ken Lang »

Thank you Earl for that wonderful cd. It's another reminder that my decision to make a living in engineering and an avocation of music was a good choice.

For myself, this is an oustanding cd and example that real talent can express things that some of us may think or feel, but lack the musical voice to say.

If you got a little rusty after some time off, there is none of that here, just bright and shiny and, to be sure, inspiring.

Thank you, my friend. There is a light that's a little brighter and a smile that's a little wider here in Simi Valley tonight.
Ken<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Ken Lang on 09 May 2001 at 08:11 PM.]</p></FONT>
Earl Erb

Post by Earl Erb »

Since my last post I want to personally thank Bill,John,Darvin,Russ,Mike and Ken for all the kind words about my CD.Never in a million years did I think it would have been enjoyed by so many.I am humbled by all of the positive feed back this project has brought me and I am grateful. Image Image
Pete Mitchell

Post by Pete Mitchell »

Hey Y'all,

Much has been said about Earl's cd. Heck, there is nothing left for me to add except that if you don't have a copy, GET ONE!!! But be prepared for passion, fire, excitement, energy, soft-lit candles, romance. Kick back with your honey and ENJOY. Pete

P.S. Except for you six stringers, get back out to the old woodshed. Especially me.

<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Pete Mitchell on 10 May 2001 at 02:18 PM.]</p></FONT>