Rains Lower Issue

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Lawrence Lupkin

Rains Lower Issue

Post by Lawrence Lupkin »

I love my Rains SD-10, and I just ran into what seems to be a simple problem, but I can't make heads or tails of it. I lower my 5th string on pedal 4 and RKL. Out of nowhere, they started not lowering enough, and eventually stopped lowering altogether, regardless of pedal or lever. Both the pedal and knee action is working, and the fingers seem to be pulling. When I took off the string, the roller moved all the way out (raised) as if being pulled. I'm not familiar with their raise mechanism, so I took pictures top and bottom. Any thoughts?

Thanks!
Ron Page

Post by Ron Page »

I think the unloaded finger position is normal--at least it's the same as on an Emmons LeGrande.

Do the notes fail to lower or fail to return to normal pitch?

Since both pedal and knee exhibit the same behavior I'd suspect the finger is not returning-- that return spring is common to the finger regardless of which pedal/lever activates the pull.
I had a similar problem with a lever years ago and Jack Strayhorn, then at Emmons, told be to tighten the spring one or two turns. He also had to tell me that to rotate the spring I had to disconnet the end, rotate the spring and then reconnect the exposed end.

I'm not sure yours is anything like mine, and I'm not at home to look. With those good pics Gary Carpenter, Bobbe Seymour or someone will be able to help you.
HagFan
Emmons Lashley LeGrande II
Lawrence Lupkin

Thanks Ron. Both knee and lever lower the pitch a tiny amount directly upon being activated, but then continue to the stops with no effect. It returns to pitch perfectly. The raise works perfectly.

The only other thing I noticed is that when adjusting the nylon tuners, there is a range in the middle where that slight lowering of pitch, but it is not effected by adjustment. If I go too far in or out, it does not effectuate the (very)small pitch change.

This does not seem to be a mechanical issue. Both lever and knee engage the rod, and from the top I can even see the spring expand. The roller just doesn't move.

Also, this happened once before, but resolved itself. That is why I was thinking maybe something is stuck.

Also, the knee and lever both lower the pitch the same amount, which also leads me to think there is a blockage.
Ken Higgins

Post by Ken Higgins »

Call Gary Carpenter at the Rains factory. The number is on there website and I know he will glad to help you get the problem fix NOW !!!!!
Lawrence Lupkin

Thanks Ken. I will.
Martin Weenick

Lower Problem

Post by Martin Weenick »

Check to see if your nylon hex tuner has stripped out. Martin.
Several custom steels. NV-112 Boss DD-7
Bill Simmons

Gary Carpenter

Post by Bill Simmons »

Call Gary Carpenter at 817.560.2277 or 817.896.3460...Gary would be more than happy to help you!
Erv Niehaus

Post by Erv Niehaus »

The Rains come with split tuning screws for each string. I encounted the same issue a while back. You need to move that screw out further. I suspect the finger is hitting the end of the screw before you get the string low enough.
OR, you could have a string end wedged in there! :D
Ken Higgins

Post by Ken Higgins »

Lawrence, We all would be interested in what Gary had to say. It will help others if the problem comes up again....
Tim Bridges

Post by Tim Bridges »

Erv has suggested where to start. You also might check that the nyon tuners aren's cranked too tight on the pull rod. This will cause the "open" string to detune and you'll never get the lower. However, usually this occurs due to the split tuner screw not being adjusted properly.

There was a really good animated graphic thread that gave very clear instructions on how to tune the split tuner. Maybe someone will remember the thread and give you a link.
CrowBear Schmitt

Post by CrowBear Schmitt »

Patrick Laffrat wrote:With tuning screws through the bridge of the changer:
Image Image

====================================================

Without tuning screws you need extra pull rod
>>>
, See John Fabian's video about the split tuning

by Buddy Emmons
David Toney

Raise and lower issue

Post by David Toney »

Lawrence I had a similar problem with my 2007 RAINS.
On mine the fifth string raise was not raising far
enough even after fine tuning several times.I replaced the nylon hex nut with a new one it fixed
my problem.Rains make excellent pedal steel guitars.
David Toney
Lawrence Lupkin

Thanks everyone. Sorry I haven't checked in, but my e-mail alerts seemed to have stopped on their own. Must be that Hotmail problem. I haven't had a chance to call Gary, but when I do, I'll be sure to post my findings.
Ron Page

Post by Ron Page »

Any fix on the Rains yet, Lawrence.

CrowBear, what a nice tutorial and annimation on the all-pull changer. I'm going to have to book mark this one.

I'm glad Buddy was not a mechanical engineer, but I'm certain he could have been a good one.
HagFan
Emmons Lashley LeGrande II
john widgren

Post by john widgren »

Lawrence,

I repair, setup, rebuild, service, and tech steels at my shop in CT. You can contact me via email, if you don't get things sorted out. JW
Lawrence Lupkin

Thanks Jon. Gary was kind enough to walk me through it. In the end it was the split screw. There must be steel guitar gremlins with Allen wrenches in my house.

Thanks to all who responded.