Advice for a newbie

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Bordley Palk

Advice for a newbie

Post by Bordley Palk »

Hi,
I'm relatively a newbie. I have played bluegrass dobro for about 37 years.
History:
I started reading the SGF in July, 07. I had a 1949 Gibson lap steel tuned to open G. I had bought it from a collector in Dayton, Ohio. This guitar had been played very little, if at all. The collector owned a music store in Dayton and I think it had been part of his personal collection. Not a mark on it. It came with the matching amp. Sweet!!! I had the amp recapped and it works great. I started going to a local blues jam and played it for a couple of months. That guitar has GREAT tone imho. Then I bought a Goldtone 8-string and tuned it to C6. This opened a new world to me. Although the tone of the Goldtone leaves something to be desired, and the pot is about the worst I have ever used, it tweaked my interest in PSG.

I had bought a old pedal steel 12 years ago. Did not even try to play it until two months ago. It's a all-pull with the tuning barrels. Three pedals/ three knees. It holds tune pretty good but not great. I have it tuned to C6 high g.

LKL = C# 3 and 7 string
LKR = B 3 string only
P1 = B 4 and 8 string
P2 = F# 5 string only
P3 = F 2 and 6 string
RKR = D 3 string and B 4 string

I guess this is a little weird and would like to get to a standard set-up. That means I am looking for a PSG to purchase. I want a GOOOOD ONE. I know from experience that every little bit helps. I just don't know what I should get. I would like to get a S-10 set-up for C6th. So is there anywhere close to southeastern North Carolina that I could go and play a few different brands to see how they react and sound? I live close to Myrtle Beach and would be willing to drive for 3 or 4 hours to be able to sit down and get an idea of what I would like to buy. My budget is around $3000 and hate to spend that much without a test drive of some decent PSGs. I have talked to Jackson about a Blackjack and it is very tempting for the $1800+ for a C6th 5p/3k.
When I get a new one I will get the one I have now back to E9th and see what it has to offer!!
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Bordley Palk

Ron Page

Post by Ron Page »

Bordley,

You'll be able to get a great steel for that budget amount.

I'm not sure they are the closest, but Emmons Guitar Co. is in Burlington, NC (1771 Webb Avenue
Burlington, NC 27216). You can find them and the other manufacturer sites under "LINKS" in the green banner at the top of the Forum screens.

I don't play C6th but the basic setup usually include 5 foot pedals. So you're apt to require more than the standard 3 pedals and 4 or 5 knee levers that the S10's come with. That's just something to be aware of when shopping online list prices-- add 3 foot pedals to most S10 prices.
HagFan
Emmons Lashley LeGrande II
A. J. Schobert

Post by A. J. Schobert »

Take a weekend trip to billy coopers in VA, you will love it, I go there and they are second to none. They have a big selection of new and used PSG.

I wouldn't get a single neck guitar to play c6th if I had a 3 grand budget, but that is just me talking it is really up to you, I would just get a d10.
Charles Davidson

Post by Charles Davidson »

Palk,welcome to the forum,I had a Gipson lap steel IDENTICAL to yours,I got it from Herb Remington years ago,had the best tone in the studio of anything I had ever played,Like a fool traded it off,don't you know.
Hard headed, opinionated old geezer. BAMA CHARLIE. GOD BLESS AMERICA. ANIMAL RIGHTS ACTIVIST. SUPPORT LIVE MUSIC !
Charles Davidson

PS,I agree with AJ,You could get a GREAT D-10 for that price,then you would have the best of both worlds in one guitar,don't you know.
Hard headed, opinionated old geezer. BAMA CHARLIE. GOD BLESS AMERICA. ANIMAL RIGHTS ACTIVIST. SUPPORT LIVE MUSIC !
Bordley Palk

I won't get rid of the lap steel

Post by Bordley Palk »

Thanks guys,
Charlie, I won't part with the Gibson. It goes to my grandson and I like playing it too much.
Ron and AJ, I will take a little trip and try to get to Emmons and Billy Coopers all in one trip. I know I can get a D-10 for that kind of money. I think there is a Emmons D-10 for about that price right now on the forum. The one I am currently playing is a SD-10. I am getting use to it not sitting right against my belly. I seem to want to get right over top of it. I would like to sit down to a S-10 and see what it feels like.
Thanks for the info guys. Keep it coming. I need all the help I can get.
William Griffith

Steel

Post by William Griffith »

Hello, Have you maybe considered a 12 string uni.
Charles Davidson

Bordley,That's right KEEP that little Gipson,I do believe if you get a pro D-10 you won't be sorry,On the bandstand I play about half and half E9th and C6th,I LOVE the 6th neck,A couple of years ago I got rid of a D-10 because I wanted something that was not so heavy,Went to Bobbe's bought a brand new GFI S-10,[a GREAT guitar]I missed my 6th neck so bad after a few weeks,traded it to friend for a MSA-D 10 classic,HEAVEY,HEAVEY,HEAVEY,had the case cut down,carry the body in one case,the rest in another case.HAVE to play some tunes in E9th,LOVE to play the 6th,it's worth lugging her around for these options,don't you know.
Bordley Palk

Post by Bordley Palk »

Thanks guys, at the moment I only have 9 strings on my PSG. I don't know if I could handle 12 uni. I am just beginning to get comfortable with the string spacing. Spacing is closer than the lap or resophonic. I was really thinking of having two S-10s. 1 C6th, 1 E9th.
It looks like if I do any gigs it will be beach music or blues in Wilmington. I guess all the country folk go to the Carolina Opry or The Alabama Theather, not to the honky tonks.Besides, I am learning for myself because I love to play. I would like to jam with some other players. I do like the blues. Witch tuning is best for the blues. C6th or E9th?? I don't know.

It's kind of funny, I moved here from Dayton, Ohio and expected there to be some bluegrass and country pickers here. There are a few bluegrassers, not like Dayton where everybody seemed to pick & grin. Country, well thats like a bad word here on the coast north of Myrtle Beach. I have found one country band, well they call it country but they played some kind of rock and roll. The guitar player was a rocker,from his tone I would say heavy metal genre. His power chords and lead work just didn't fit country.