Instruction Help for a NooB

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Joel Nunweiler

Instruction Help for a NooB

Post by Joel Nunweiler »

Hello all steelers! I have been playing (struggling) the steel for 7 years now and am no where near where I want to be at this point. There are VERY few steelers near me. Can anyone suggest a good course, DVD or otherwise, to help with my technique :?:
Carter S10 Blue Birdseye 3&5
Linkon Pedal

GO RIDERS!!
Calvin Walley

Post by Calvin Walley »

anything from Jeff Newman
proud parent of a sailor

Mullen SD-10 /nashville 400
gotta love a Mullen!!!

Guitars that i have owned in order are :
Mullen SD-10,Simmons SD-10,Mullen SD-10,Zum stage one,Carter starter,
Sho-Bud Mavrick
Ernie Pollock

I agree

Post by Ernie Pollock »

I agree with Calvin on the Jeff Newman material, had it not been for his seminars back in the 70's, I would not be a very good picker today. I also enjoyed & learned much from the great Herby Wallace & his seminars & courses, had it not been for Herby, I doubt I could play all the C6th style tunes that I do today. Check both of these sources for excellent info. Get some rhythm tracks to work with also, I learned much from playing with them.

Ernie Pollock :D
http://www.hereintown.net/~shobud75/stock.htm
Larry Weaver

Post by Larry Weaver »

Give Al Brisco a ring. He's a super guy and has tons of great instructional material in stock, including I believe some of Jeff Newman's stuff.

-LarryW
Erv Niehaus

Post by Erv Niehaus »

I would go to Scotty's site. He has some material published by Mel Bay that really got me headed in the right direction.
Bent Romnes

Post by Bent Romnes »

Hi Joel,
I agree with Calvin and the others who recommended Jeff Newman. I am currently working on Jeff's Right Hand Alpha course...right hand technique, blocking etc.
With the dollar at par(or a little better) you may as well order direct from Fran. Go here: www.jeffran.com

For all your other needs, I would recommend Jeff Bradshaw in Leslieville, Alberta. He is a fair person and he treated me very well during my building project. Go here: http://www.countrypickin.com/
Good luck!
Bent