John Hughey

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Andy Volk

Post by Andy Volk »

Sad, sad news. Few players were as loved throughout the steel community. Woodsongs (#447) has a recent show of his with the Time Jumpers that showcases John's great playing.

http://www.woodsongs.com/showlist.asp
Roger Rettig

Post by Roger Rettig »

I defy anyone to listen to John Hughey and Dawn Sears on 'Sweet memories' from the Time Jumpers DVD and keep your composure.

That's the second time I've tried in two days - I don't think it can be done.

What a treasure we've lost.

RR
Billy Murdoch

Post by Billy Murdoch »

Even before the sad event I could not watch Sweet Memories without a tear,the first few notes of John's solo will always break me up.
I have already posted my condolences.
I will always love John.
Brett Day

Post by Brett Day »

John was and will always be one of my heroes. When I was a kid, I used to come home from school and listen to Vince Gill's "I Still Believe In You" record, and I remember how amazed I was and still am at John's playin' on those songs. I never will forget before goin' to school one mornin', "Look At Us" was about to be played on the radio and the radio guy said "Listen to that steel baby go" as John started playin' the intro. I also remember another song that John played on that Vince recorded called "Real Lady's Man". John did the intro, which was also the turnaround after the fiddle solo. I met John in Saluda, SC after I first started playin' steel and we became friends. He was one of the most amazing steel players in country music.

Brett
Last edited by Brett Day on 21 Nov 2007 11:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Moon in Alaska

Post by Moon in Alaska »

Another hero of ours gone....Everyone loved him !!! For many years..steel players will be trying to capture some of his technique....
I am sure he will rest in peace....
Moon
<<Moon>>
==Carter S-10==
1962 Fender 400
== Evans FET 500 Custom LV ==

http://www.geocities.com/moon9999610/alaska.html
Terry Downs

Post by Terry Downs »

Roger Rettig wrote:I defy anyone to listen to John Hughey and Dawn Sears on 'Sweet memories' from the Time Jumpers DVD and keep your composure.

That's the second time I've tried in two days - I don't think it can be done.

What a treasure we've lost.

RR
I couldn't do that even before he passed. I'm not wanting to even attempt it now.
Terry Downs
Peter Dollard

I Don't Know His Name

Post by Peter Dollard »

In 1983 my wife, who never mentioned the steel parts of country songs said, "There's this song its got about a million chords and the steel player is really the vocalist on it".... yeah it was Lost In The Feeling"... a really sad time. Homage to one of the greatest stylists of all time on any instrument.

Peter
james sluder

Post by james sluder »

I did not know untill i ran across this sad news on the forum...it really was a shock.i have been watching evething i could find on u-tube of Mr JOHN'S playing..makes a very sad for me. :(

My prayers go out to the family ! ```````
scott murray

Post by scott murray »

I posted the Conway Twitty song "Candy" HERE, featuring John's amazing (and fast!) steel ride.

God bless you Mr. Hughey.
1965 Emmons S-10, 3x5 • Emmons LLIII D-10, 10x12 • JCH D-10, 10x12 • Beard MA-8 • Oahu Tonemaster