Tab for Buddies Boogie?

Written music for steel guitar

Moderator: Ricky Davis

Lance Bakemeyer

Tab for Buddies Boogie?

Post by Lance Bakemeyer »

Herb Steiner has a very nice arrangement of a tune called Buddies Boogie on his website that was played by Buddy Emmons. Has anyone ever tabbed this out at all (ever)?

New to the Forum, and just getting started, but I ran a search for "Buddies Boogie" in the tab section and got no results - so I guess it has never been posted anywhere. Or if so, I guess I don't know how to find it. Any advice would be appreciated - thanks

Lance Bakemeyer
Charles Curtis

Post by Charles Curtis »

Lance, this is an idea; keep no. 6 pedal down throughout the tune; put your bar on the third string on the 5th fret, pick the third string and the second string, open, alternately, sliding your bar down and picking these strings alternately, until open, then slide up to the 9th fret, strum the 2,3,4,5,6 then the 3,4,5 6, then slide down on the 9th string 'til open. Keep the 6th pedal down throughout; I don't know if this is the tune you're looking for but it's an idea a friend showed me many years ago. Hopefully you'll find the rest on the bass strings.
Nic du Toit

Post by Nic du Toit »

Herb Steiner has a very nice arrangement of a tune called Buddies Boogie on his website
I looked everywhere, but could not find it.
What is the link to that tune?
Greg Cutshaw

Post by Greg Cutshaw »

I would be willing to tab it out but someone must have it. I think there may some differences between how Emmons and Charleton played it, which version are you most interested in?

Greg
Andy Sandoval

Post by Andy Sandoval »

Here's the link to "Buddies Boogie" on Herb's website. It was under "cool stuff"/"cool sounds". Click Here
Charles Curtis

Post by Charles Curtis »

I believe this tune in on the CD, "Steel Guitar in Four Wheel Drive", by Buddy Emmons.
Charles Curtis

Post by Charles Curtis »

If you click on Andy's link here you can listen to The Man Himself play it. I believe that just about all is done with #6 pedal down?
Mark Switzer

Post by Mark Switzer »

The version on Herb`s site is a live recording from a German CD of radio transcriptions. If you go to the Ask Buddy archives on buddyemmons.com you`ll find a discussion of this tune.
Buddy played most of it on an E9 neck tuned (high to low) E B G# F# D B G# E with pedals changing it to E C# A F# E C# A E. Some solos are on the C6 neck.
I`ve played this tune (badly) for years but I`m far from having it nailed, much less attempting a tab. Hard to believe anyone was playing like that in the early 50`s, even Buddy.
Hope this helps.