1 amp for both

Steel guitar amplifiers, effects, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Dion Stephen

1 amp for both

Post by Dion Stephen »

what amp would be good for both pedal & lap?
Jim Sliff

Post by Jim Sliff »

Without knowing what style you play or what kind of tone your're looking for in each case, it's impossible to answer the question. Generally, if you like clean pedal steel and dirty lap steel - one amp is not the answer.
No chops, but great tone
1930's/40's Rickenbacher/Rickenbacker 6&8 string lap steels
1921 Weissenborn Style 2; Hilo&Schireson hollownecks
Appalachian, Regal & Dobro squarenecks
1959 Fender 400 9+2 B6;1960's Fender 800 3+3+2; 1948 Fender Dual-8 Professional
Don Sulesky

Post by Don Sulesky »

Like Jim mentioned it may be impossible to answer. But I would suggest you give the NV112 a try as it's light and has the variable EQ and you should be able to tune in a good sound from it.
Another choice might be any small amp. A friend of mine has a George Boards lap and he played it thru a a small Crate amp last night and it sounded great. I never cared for a Crate amp but he made it sound very nice.
Don
Tim Harr

Post by Tim Harr »

Jim brings up a solid point.

More information would help get you the answer you are after...
jeff reynolds

Post by jeff reynolds »

amp for pedal ... ?? Pedal on Bike or Pedal on vehicle?? I say a pignose amp.

amp for Lap ? Again I'd go for a Pignose amp.
Alex Piazza

Post by Alex Piazza »

I use a hot rod deluxe for pedalsteel, 6 string lapsteel and electric guitar. It works great. The clean channel is similar to a twin. Its about half the power, but it doesnt start breaking up untill about 1 oclock. and thats really loud! I get a really cool warm sound with my sho-bud.
The dirty channel is cool if you dont over do it. It breaks up nicley with the drive around 3-4. anything above gets a little harsh.
Ive got a jensen alnico speaker in mine that has greatly improved the sound. Most of my gigs are miked so I dont need too much power. i run a delay pedal through the effects loop and it works for both channels. Its a pretty easy, quick set up.
Dave Stagner

Post by Dave Stagner »

jeff reynolds wrote:amp for pedal ... ?? Pedal on Bike or Pedal on vehicle?? I say a pignose amp.

amp for Lap ? Again I'd go for a Pignose amp.
Heh. I've been playing lap steel in a middle eastern band I'm in lately. I'd been playing my Fouke through the bandleader's Pignose Hog 20, and it sounded great. But when I changed out the original pickup for a Harmonic Design Z90, it just WOULD NOT produce a clean sound through the Pignose anymore! So the bandleader isn't liking this dirty rock'n'roll tone at all, and I'm going "This sounds AWESOME!" Go figure.

I solved the "problem" by bringing along my trusty Velocette for the next rehearsal. At our working volumes, it's clean as a whistle with the Fouke/Z90.

Anyway, to the broader question... I think an old blackface Fender amp would be a great dual-purpose pedal/lap amp, as long as it has enough power to play clean at whatever volume you require. Use one channel for the pedal steel, the other for lap... you might want some sort of overdrive pedal to add some grind for the lap steel if that's the sound you're after.
I don’t believe in pixie dust, but I believe in magic.

1967 ZB D-10
Recording King lap steel with Certano benders
jeff reynolds

Post by jeff reynolds »

All joking aside... I have found My Deluxe Rev and My Super Rev are great for Pedal Steel and guitar.
I own two Session 400's that sound great too. I also own a twin (1971) and a Vibrosonic (1975) as well as a Quad Rev. (1979)

Most gigs I do I use The Deluxe .. its easier on my back and it doesnt take up too much stage space. I use an old DOD A/B Box to switch between guitar and steel. Both instruments run in to the A/B Box first then to my Goodrich 7A (which is VERY OLD) may be the first one ever built...then to the volume pedal then to the Route66 by Visual Sound then to the Smallstone phase shifter then to the Profex II then finally to the OLD Fender amp and if Im lucky it all works ??
Ron Randall

Post by Ron Randall »

Look at G Walker's stereo steel amp.
One configuration of his gear is: 2 separate pre-amps into one power amp. The preamp controls are identical. Therefore, switching from one instrument to another is very simple.

Ron
Jim Palenscar

Post by Jim Palenscar »

I'd strongly consider a Peavey Valveking 112 - works well as a steel amp and has an overdrive channel that is terrific for guitar- and it's light!