The Time Jumpers with John Hughey

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Ken Byng

The Time Jumpers with John Hughey

Post by Ken Byng »

I am watching a DVD of the Time Jumpers live. John Hughey's C6th work is a real treat. This is wonderful music, with a beautifully tight rhythm section plus 3 fiddles, accordion, pedal steel and lead guitars. The band swings like anything. Fantastic stuff.
Walter Stettner

Post by Walter Stettner »

One of the best I have seen in a long time! :)

Kind Regards, Walter
Mike Gross

Post by Mike Gross »

Walter,

I'll put a ditto on that one, amigo!
Mike
Roger Rettig

Post by Roger Rettig »

...and what about Dawn Sears singing 'Sweet Memories'!!!!?

Perfect!

RR
Brandon Ordoyne

Post by Brandon Ordoyne »

Its even better in person....I got to seem them live in Nashville at the Station Inn....I got to talk to John for about 15 mins. What a great show! :D
'74 Emmons D10 P/P 8x5,'15 Rittenberry D10 8x5, Peavey Nashville 112, 400 & 1000, Fender Twin Reverb Tone Master, Hilton, Goodrich L120, Boss DD-3 and RV-3
Roger Rettig

Post by Roger Rettig »

Yes, Brandon - he's a real gent, 'cause he even spoke to me..... :whoa:

If I have to stop in Nashville on my travels, I try to ensure that it'll be on a Monday. I've seen these guys - and gals - a number of times now, and it never fails to inspire me.

On the first couple of visits I was lucky enough to hear Johnny Cox on his triple-neck Zum - he was pretty amazing, too!!!

RR
Ken Byng

Post by Ken Byng »

Full marks to both the sound engineer and camera operators on the Jumping Time DVD. The sound quality is excellent, and the camera focuses on the right player and singer at the correct time. That makes a change!

This would have to be the ultimate gig to play in and to watch. The performers all made a point that they don't get paid a lot for this gig, but I suspect that the enjoyment factor is sky high.

I would recommend this disc to anyone who doesn't have it in their collection. It's a real feel good experience - boy can these guys swing. It's an 11 piece band and not one tries to be the star of the show.
Virg Bodiker

Time Jumpers

Post by Virg Bodiker »

I'm with you Roger...Dawn Sears and John Hughey on Sweet Memories is just magical...what a great DVD!!

Hope to make it to the Station Inn next fall when I visit my daughter in Clarksville.
Tom Harris

Post by Tom Harris »

I also have this D V D,and to say it is a fantistic video would be selling them short,it is without a doubt one of the best i have ever watched,Papa John ( as he was called on the show lol ) is awesome on the C6 ( I think he only did one song on E9 )the whole group is just great,Miz Sears,Miz Martin,Cowboy Bob,,the 3 Fidle players,,the Accordian player,,the Drum Player,and Lead Player wwre all great,,would love to be able to hear them in person,maybe one day.............
Tom Harris
Justin Griffith

Post by Justin Griffith »

I had the pleasure to see them last night and John is playing better than ever.
He said he feels great, and he looks great for just having a bypass.

For an added treat, Johnny Bush and I went over there together and he played some great drums behind them.

I still think the powers to be in the music world would drop by there and see what country music should sound like.
billy tam

Time Jumpers

Post by billy tam »

This is real deal music, quality players and singer across the board, dynamics, a love and appreciation of what they are doing and why, mutual respect and everyone is having a damn good time.
Billy
Terry Downs

Post by Terry Downs »

In a mediocre world, that DVD is all around the best display of talent that can be found anywhere. When Dawn sings "Sweet Memories" and John plays steel on it, I can't get through it without choking up. No member of this forum should be without that DVD.
Terry Downs
Per Berner

Post by Per Berner »

I can only agree with everyone else here. Truly great, and you can tell they are all having a good time. I have a couple of older Dawn Sears CD's which I sort of gave one listen and then put away on the shelf - but on this DVD she's absolutely fantastic!

More! More! More!
Uwe Haegg

I miss Hoot

Post by Uwe Haegg »

Even though they`re still awesome, I kinda miss Hoot Hester in the setup. In my opinion he added something extra to the mix.
Roger Edgington

Post by Roger Edgington »

I picked up the double CD version in St. Louis and I have played it over and over. That's a whole stage full of talent. It's hard to believe it's a live cut. I would love to see western swing music come back strong again. It's good stuff and fun to play.
Keith DeLong

Post by Keith DeLong »

That DVD sounds like a keeper--how do I get one?
Roger Rettig

Post by Roger Rettig »

Go to the Time Jumpers' web-site - it's very fairly-priced, and the service is quick!

You won't buy a better DVD - ever!

RR
Bobby Caldwell

Post by Bobby Caldwell »

Great music by some of the most talented people you will ever see or hear. Also the production of the recording and DVD quality is first class. A must for everyones collection. Bobby
Carl Lambert

Post by Carl Lambert »

I just read everyone's comments about the Time Jumpers Live DVD and I totally agree with everyone, it is one of the best I have ever seen. I had the privilege of being in the audience during this taping and what you see on the DVD was captured in ONE TAKE! Also, what you see on the DVD is what you see and hear in person. I would encourage everyone who hasn't been to the Station Inn on Monday night to definitely add it to your plans when in Nashville. An awesome bunch of musicians who have just too much fun.
Ken Byng

Post by Ken Byng »

I just watched the DVD (for the umpteenth time) with a group of musician friends and they have unanimously said that this is the best live performance that they have ever seen. Period. Every performer on stage is top drawer - the 2 girl singers Dawn Sears and Carolyn Martin out-perform anything I saw on the recent CMA awards for feel and soul.

I'm not sure but I think the drummer and bass player were on Lloyd Green and Tommy White's video, An Evening of E9th.

KB
Jim West

Post by Jim West »