Buddy Emmons Intro: How does he do it?

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Danny Kuykendall

Post by Danny Kuykendall »

Buddy has even stated that not all of his playing is perfect. Why can't someone have an opinion that an intro is not his best?

Danny
James Morehead

Post by James Morehead »

Danny Kuykendall wrote:Buddy has even stated that not all of his playing is perfect. Why can't someone have an opinion that an intro is not his best?

Danny
Well, you certainly can state your opinions, and are welcome to, as long as it's actually on topic?

I have enjoyed dabbling with that type of lick, and it sure is a fun one to play with. The tab mentioned for that lick seems very pretty right on, and opens up the doors of inspiration. That's what I love about Buddy Emmon's intro's, fills, rides and endings.
Ron Page

Post by Ron Page »

Sometimes we get a little carried away with this "best" thing. Only one intro can be Buddy's "best", and we're never going to agree on which one that is. It's a fool's errand to try; in this and other similar scenarios that come up here from time to time.

To each his own in matters of taste.
HagFan
Emmons Lashley LeGrande II
Bent Romnes

Post by Bent Romnes »

Ron, Amen.
Barry Blackwood

Post by Barry Blackwood »

"The other issue is that it's one thing to play it after hearing it, but to think of it in the first place is a skill of a different order."

And therein the difference lies. Thank you, Dave M. That pretty much says it all IMO.
Ben Jones

Post by Ben Jones »

Thanks for the tab Trevor!

Best intro? who knows? certainly not overly complex but sometimes simplicity is genius. This one spoke to me and just flat out sounded cool. Tho Im sure many of you can play the notes, Only Mr. Emmons can play it the way he played it...I beleive in the distinct inherent uniqueness of players, especially master players.
Calvin Walley

Post by Calvin Walley »

you know i used to have a wife a lot like the forum...i couldn't say a dad gum thing without getting jumped on
and thanks Bobby, you understood how i meant what i said..there was no harm meant for any one
proud parent of a sailor

Mullen SD-10 /nashville 400
gotta love a Mullen!!!

Guitars that i have owned in order are :
Mullen SD-10,Simmons SD-10,Mullen SD-10,Zum stage one,Carter starter,
Sho-Bud Mavrick
Dave Van Allen

I apologize unequivocally

Post by Dave Van Allen »

Calvin,

I was out of line.
I apologize.

Your comment was as valid as a comment like "Great Lick!" or any of the several praising the unequaled maestro.

Something about the terseness of your comment, perhaps that the words "in my opinion" were not included, just annoyed me and I typed before I thought. I will try to not do so in future.

Upon further consideration I realize I was as off topic if not moreso.

So once again, I'm sorry for stirring up stuff with my ill considered post.

dva
Calvin Walley

Post by Calvin Walley »

thanks Dave . no problems here
proud parent of a sailor

Mullen SD-10 /nashville 400
gotta love a Mullen!!!

Guitars that i have owned in order are :
Mullen SD-10,Simmons SD-10,Mullen SD-10,Zum stage one,Carter starter,
Sho-Bud Mavrick
Dave Mudgett

Post by Dave Mudgett »

Buddy has even stated that not all of his playing is perfect. Why can't someone have an opinion that an intro is not his best?
Of course he can have an opinion, and frequently does. ;)

But to state a gratuitous opinion about a matter of taste - especially one that is potentially controversial - is to invite a discussion with countering opinions, IMO. I think an old proverb about heat and kitchens would be apropos, but I sense that Calvin has a pretty good asbestos suit. :)
James Cann

Post by James Cann »

I have an idea. Let's each of us work on the lick as best we can, knowing in our hearts that. . .

". . . the readiness is all!"

and also knowing that, at the right moment, each of us would hit it shamelessly!
Bo Borland

Post by Bo Borland »

:\
I can play the intro and the other parts... I just could not think of it first!
Thanks to the Boss for some great licks to steal!
Bo Borland
Rittenberry SD10 , Derby D-10, Quilter TT12, Peavey Session 400 w/ JBL, NV112, Fender Blues Jr. , 1974 Dobro 60N squareneck, Rickenbacher NS lapsteel, 1973 Telecaster Thinline, 1979 blonde/black Frankenstrat
Currently picking with
Mason Dixon Band masondixonband.net
Trevor Carey-Smith

Post by Trevor Carey-Smith »

What I've learnt from my first post to the Steel Guitar Forum:

1. Ask a question and you'll get a good answer quickly.
2. Put the words "Buddy Emmons" in your title and your thread is bound to get lots of hits.
3. Mention a certain riff by a certain player and you'll probably start a flame war.
4. Include a link to a downloadable track and it is sure to be fetched lots of times (1309 times and counting).
5. Expect to get interesting and useful comments from steel guitarists old and young, novice and professional, famous and not-so-famous, ...

Many thanks to the steel guitar community,

Trevor.
Ben Jones

Post by Ben Jones »

wow, that was your first post Trevor?

My first was a whopper too, something about Jerry Garcia that didnt go over very well at all. :wink:

For what its worth I really enjoyed your post (and the subsequent tab you were kind enough to provide)and the very informative comments that followed.
Bo Borland

Post by Bo Borland »

Bo Borland
Rittenberry SD10 , Derby D-10, Quilter TT12, Peavey Session 400 w/ JBL, NV112, Fender Blues Jr. , 1974 Dobro 60N squareneck, Rickenbacher NS lapsteel, 1973 Telecaster Thinline, 1979 blonde/black Frankenstrat
Currently picking with
Mason Dixon Band masondixonband.net
Joe Miraglia

Post by Joe Miraglia »

To me It sounds like a old (early 40's )Hawaiian into. Played on a lap Hawaiian guitar. Starts out like a old record, played on a Victor wing up player. Maybe that's the sound Buddy wanted. Joe
Joe Miraglia

Post by Joe Miraglia »

Bad spelling Windup Joe