Steel in Tucson

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Ken Pippus

Steel in Tucson

Post by Ken Pippus »

I'll be in the desert sun from Nov. 12 til Nov. 16. Any must see/hear/play/do venues?

Thanks.

KP
Steve English

Post by Steve English »

Neil Harry playing his Sho-Bud/Twin Reverb with "Chuck Wagon and a few Old Wheels" at the Maverick on Wednesday nights, I believe.
http://www.chuckmaultsby.com/

And at the same club on Friday should be Pete Smith on Steel.
I think start time is 7pm on Wed. and 9pm on Fri.

Maverick King Of Clubs
6622 East Tanque Verde Road, Tucson, AZ 85715
(520) 298-0430

Both excellent steel players!!
Always remember you're unique..... Just like everyone else
Pete Smith

Tucson

Post by Pete Smith »

I'm at the Maverick at Tanque Verde and Kolb on the east side of town every Fri. and Sat. with the Robert Moreno Band. 9:00 to 1:30 or so.
Pete Smith

oops

Post by Pete Smith »

Thanx Steve I had the reply window open for a while and I didn't see your post
Olaf van Roggen

Post by Olaf van Roggen »

Neil Harry!!! I loved his steel playing with Chuck Wagon & the Wheels,a very different style then I used to hear in the 80's.
They sent me a signed poster that I still have somewhere.
Their first record was with another steel player"Richard Brennon or Branson: also a special way fo playing...who knows if he's still playing in the Tucson area.....?
Pete Smith

Neal Harry

Post by Pete Smith »

I haven't been over to hear Neal on Wed. nights yet, but I have heard that his playing is just as good or better than it was. Rich Brennian is still here, he has filled in for me at least once, and has sat in so I got to hear him. What an excellent player. I believe Rich is the musical director at a local theater. Marlin Smoot was playing at the C-Note on W. Roger Rd, But I think Roy Brown is there now. I thought Steve was going to be playing at Eddie's on E. Broadway, but somebody told me that's not the case. Steve?
Steve English

Post by Steve English »

Pete, you missed a goooood party out at Frank’s a couple of weeks ago!

As for Eddie’s, some say it was because Roy kept letting ONE too many hacks sit in on his steel.....oh wait.... :eek:

Some say it was because I kept steeling all the women...... ;-)

But the truth is:
No more steel out at Eddie’s for the time being. They’re giving the evening to Jim Jones, who’s recovered enough from his cancer stuff, to play rhythm guitar. He can’t work his day job anymore is what I heard, so I’m glad he’s able to pick up a few more bucks at the club. Hope someone’s that considerate of me when I get that age......oh wait...... :roll:

So as a result, the big-mouth-bass are still not safe at any of the lakes around here :D
Always remember you're unique..... Just like everyone else
Pete Smith

party

Post by Pete Smith »

Yeah, I was so busy I forgot to call Frank back. The next thing I knew I was talking to Billy O on the phone. I couldn't have stayed long anyway, because I had to go to the Mav. that night. Billy told me the cops came, not just once, but twice. Alright! the old folks can still party.