XLR cable tester questions

Steel guitar amplifiers, effects, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Mike Winter

XLR cable tester questions

Post by Mike Winter »

I have a couple of questions concerning testing bad XLR cables.

1. I have a Korg DTR-1 tuner that has the 1/4" cable tester. If I had XLR to 1/4" adaptors (M/F), would that work to test an XLR cord? Would it test TRS (stereo) 1/4" or only mono, like regular guitar cords?

2. If the above will not work, which cable testers out there would be recommended to purchase.

I have a number of mic cords that have issues, and I would like to check them, then repair or toss.

Thanks all.
Jim Kennedy

Post by Jim Kennedy »

I finally broke down and bought the Swizz army knife cable tester about a year ago. I think it was $79.00 at Musiciann's Friend. It tests XLR, TR, TRS, RCA, mini, and MIDI connectors. It also has a built in tone generator for supplying a 1k 0 db tone for checking weird PA problems. I never leave for a gig without it. Not sure if a cord is bad, plug it in and you know, that simple. It's also great for finding those loose connectors, or where the break is in a cord. Just wiggle til the led goes out.
ShoBud Pro 1, 75 Tele, 85 Yamaha SA 2000, Fender Cybertwin,
Neil Getz

Post by Neil Getz »

Get a Behringer CT100. It appears to be almost identical to the Swizz Army tester, but costs only one third as much ($30 as opposed to $90). I have one, use it all the time, and have never had a problem with it.
Jack Stoner

Post by Jack Stoner »

I've had one of the Behringer's for several years. Keep it in my Steel Seat for whenever it's needed. Works good but the documentation with it stinks. You need to plug in known good cords so you see what lights are lit with good cords.