what do you guys think of Magnum Steel

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Dion Stephen

what do you guys think of Magnum Steel

Post by Dion Stephen »

well the title says it all what do you guys think of magnum steels? think hard about getting the double neck. :mrgreen:
Donny Hinson

Post by Donny Hinson »

I've seen them, but never played one - they're probably on par with most steels out there.

How much you practice will affect your playing far more than which particular brand you choose.
Mike Christensen

MAGNUM

Post by Mike Christensen »

Ever hear,or better yet,see,Sarah Jory play hers? would say they definately work fine. What Donny says tho. Its time on the seat. Happy Trails with whatever you end up with.
Micky Byrne

Post by Micky Byrne »

Donny and Dion, they probably play exactly like a Carter, as it's basically the same guitar from the same company, just a few cosmetic differences and some slight difference to the size of the cross shafts on the undercarriage I believe, and I totally agree with you that the ammount of practice determins how you will play.....on "any" steel!! If you leave off practising a few days, you start to loose your chops. It's got to be a daily routine.

Micky Byrne United Kingdom Carter and Sho-Bud universals www.mickybyrne.com
Dion Stephen

Post by Dion Stephen »

just wantin' to find 1 that's good enough for the bigs even if i'm not gonna go that far. :mrgreen:
Sonny Priddy

Magnum

Post by Sonny Priddy »

Magnum Are Great Guitars I've Had A Lot Of Brands It Is One Of The Best I've Had It Will Hang In There with any Of them. Got Mine From bobbe Seymour. Love It. SONNY.
Walter Killam

I love my Magnum!

Post by Walter Killam »

I have an SD10, and while I don't have a lot of experience on other pro level guitars, the Magnum seems to stand up to any of them, & bypass the few I've had a chance to try. Additionally, mine came with the tone enhancing Black Mica option! :D
Eddie Freeman

Re: what do you guys think of Magnum Steel

Post by Eddie Freeman »

Dion Stephen wrote:well the title says it all what do you guys think of magnum steels? think hard about getting the double neck. :mrgreen:
I got my Magnum in april--o7,and love it. I have owned several steels,and would say the Mag is right up there with any of them, The pedal action is very smooth,the tone as good or better than most ive owned,and they are super light. Bud didnt spare any thing in the design and construction. They also stay in tune when transporting , and come with an excellant case. Give Billy Carr a call, he can vouch for the Mag's
Jerry Roller

Post by Jerry Roller »

I have a Magnum D10 8+8 that I really like a lot. I have been an Emmons guy (still am!) since '81 and this Magnum is more to my liking than any other I have played other than Emmons. And, guess what, it to me does sound a whole lot like an Emmons pushpull and it does play so nice and easy. One other thing I have noticed, it always sounds in tune with minimal cabinet drop and I guess just nice harmonics.
Jerry
Ken Mizell

Post by Ken Mizell »

What kind of finish does the Magnum's have on the metal parts (end plates, legs, pedal bar)? In pictures on Bobbe's web site, they look as if painted white. I was wondering. They appear to be nice guitars and a good buy too.

Ken
Steeless.
Jerry Roller

Post by Jerry Roller »

Ken, the endplates, necks, legs and pedalboard are powdercoat which is an extremely durable finish. I don't know if it is clear or an aluminum color but it a grainy finish. Powdercoat is what Hilton and Goodrich has gone to on their pedals and I think GFI uses powdercoat on the aluminum parts. My Magnum is black and I think it is really sharp. I have heard some negative comments on the powdercoat (by dealers for other makes) but I actually like it very much. Also, it stays looking new and don't have to be polished due to surface scratches. I believe more builders will go to powdercoating at least some parts very soon.
Jerry
Ken Mizell

Post by Ken Mizell »

Jerry - Thanks for the info. I imagine the coatings are a cost savings too (a good thing), since the coating is most likely a lot less labor intensive than polishing aluminum parts. The GFI Expo has a coating on it (Ultra's have baked expoxy), and I saw where Rittenberry has a coated lower cost model too.

Ken
Steeless.