Looking for Western Swing steel player in Nashville

Musicians wanted for bands or recording projects

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Kyle Aaron

Looking for Western Swing steel player in Nashville

Post by Kyle Aaron »

A friend (bass player) and I (Fiddle) want to start a western swing/texas shuffle (Ray Price style) type band, and we're in need of a steel player who is trained in Western Swing and such. The original idea was to have an "all Texan" band, but since we don't know any steel players from Texas that aren't working full time, anyone that has a passion for the music and can play it right will work.

It will be a younger band (I'm 25, bass player is 25, guitar player we have in mind is 32, and a possible 22 year old second fiddle), so younger is preferable, but age doesn't matter and an older, more experienced player would be just fine.

Also, we strongly prefer someone who is a Christian and isn't too wild (no getting drunk and all that, please), just to keep things peaceful.

If you have any interest at all, please email me at tonewise.music(at)gmail.com.

Thanks, and God bless.
Kyle
Ron Kirby

Post by Ron Kirby »

Hi Kyle! I certainly love to play Texas Swing Music. Here's my e-mail address.

kirbynashville@comcast.net
Kevin Hatton

Post by Kevin Hatton »

You need to look up Carco Clave in Nashville. He is a monster swing steeler on both pedal and non-pedal steel. He plays down on Broadway sometimes.
Herb Steiner

Post by Herb Steiner »

I too would recommend Carco Clave (pronounced Clah-Vey), though he's a decade or so out of your preferred age bracket... but looks younger than his years and he's in good shape.

He's a great musician not only on steel but also saxophone, and (I think) trumpet as well. And he lived here in TX for awhile back in the 90's.
My rig: Infinity and Telonics.

Son, we live in a world with walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with steel guitars. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Weinberg?
Kyle Aaron

Post by Kyle Aaron »

Thanks for the replies and emails, guys. I'll keep all of you in mind and keep in touch when we get the rhythm section put together and have a game plan.

From what I understand, Carco Clave is kind of big deal. I assume he wouldn't want to play with a band that doesn't have a steady gig and isn't even formed yet. I've heard his name in passing, and I think he already has a gig.

Thanks again!
God bless,
Kyle
Webb Kline

Don't give up that easily

Post by Webb Kline »

I wouldn't give up on Carco. There's so many players downtown who play with so many different bands that it's easy to forget who you're listening to.
Kyle Everson

Post by Kyle Everson »

Kyle I sent you a private message.