Old Newman E9 temper tune chart, E's at 440

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Michael Haselman

Old Newman E9 temper tune chart, E's at 440

Post by Michael Haselman »

Anyone have a copy of this? I'd like to try programming the pedal settings into my new Strobostomp.
Mullen RP D10, Peavey NV112, Hilton volume. Hound Dog reso. Piles of other stuff.
Tommy Mc

Post by Tommy Mc »

Is this the one you mean?
Michael Haselman

That's it, Tommy, thanks much. I used to have it taped to my Pac-a-seat, but lost it. Memorized the string tuning, have been tuning pedal by ear. Too chicken**** to try the newer Newman tuning with the E's sharp.
Mullen RP D10, Peavey NV112, Hilton volume. Hound Dog reso. Piles of other stuff.
b0b

Re: Old Newman E9 temper tune chart, E's at 440

Post by b0b »

Michael Haselman wrote:Anyone have a copy of this? I'd like to try programming the pedal settings into my new Strobostomp.
Why? Does your band always tune flat of standard?

I recommend adding 1.5 to all of those numbers if you play with other people who use electronic tuners. Otherwise, you'll have to always aim high and avoid open strings to sound in tune.
-𝕓𝕆𝕓- (admin) - Robert P. Lee - Recordings - Breathe - D6th - Video
Michael Haselman

I've been using this for many years and haven't had complaints about tuning, yet. And I have a pretty fair ear myself. But, now that you bring it up, since the Newman tuning with the E's sharp seems to be programmed into the Strobostomp I may have to give it a try. BTW, does anyone remember the hertz/cents coversion formula? I know it's in here somewhere.
Bob Merritt

Post by Bob Merritt »

Michael Haselman wrote:I've been using this for many years and haven't had complaints about tuning, yet. And I have a pretty fair ear myself. But, now that you bring it up, since the Newman tuning with the E's sharp seems to be programmed into the Strobostomp I may have to give it a try. BTW, does anyone remember the hertz/cents coversion formula? I know it's in here somewhere.
Michael, Read here on the Forum that 1 Hz = 4 cents. Not sure it that is an exact number (as in 1.000 Hz = 4.000 cents), or not. ... bob
Michael Douchette

Post by Michael Douchette »

b0b, thanks... that chart above looks like the perfect "recipe" for what gives steel players a bad name... no wonder so many people don't like the sound of a steel...
Mikey D... H.S.P.
Music hath the charm to soothe a savage beast, but I'd try a 10mm first.

http://www.steelharp.com
http://www.thesessionplayers.com/douchette.html

(other things you can ask about here)
http://s117.photobucket.com/albums/o54/Steelharp/
Michael Haselman

Damn, sorry I brought it up. I guess I have a tin ear and so do all the people I've played with over the past 30 years. So did Jeff Newman until he saw the light, I guess. b0b, you can close this, since my original question was answered. I don't want to get into anything here since I don't believe there's a definitive answer, judging by how the other "tempered tuning" threads usually go.
Jack Stoner

Post by Jack Stoner »

Michael, I'm with you. Everyone told me my steel was out of tune until I started using the Newman chart that you use. Once I started using that chart no one ever told me I was out of tune anymore.
Roger Rettig

Post by Roger Rettig »

I admit that I'm a recent convert, and I'm in the process of retraining these 64-year old ears, but I can't believe that I've deluded myself into thinking my steel has been in tune for so long.

It's 440 for me from now on - just the same way that I've tuned my six-string guitars since 1957!!!!

What was I thinking??? This is a real epiphany for me, and I'm much obliged to Dave Robbins for explaining it in a way that made sense.

RR
Michael Haselman

One more note from me on this then I'll shut the hell up. The Strobostomp comes with 2 PSG "sweetened" tunings, one with E's sharp, one with E's at 440, which I assume is the "old" Newman. Not everyone that uses this can be wrong.
b0b

Post by b0b »

People who sound in tune with Jeff's old chart have learned to aim high with the bar by ear. It's not wrong, but it's easier if you do what Jeff later recommended.

Michael asked me to close this, so I will. My apology for having the last rant. Sometimes I can't help myself. :oops:
-𝕓𝕆𝕓- (admin) - Robert P. Lee - Recordings - Breathe - D6th - Video