Schoen Turbo Steels now available

Upcoming steel guitar shows, concerts, jam sessions, club dates, etc.

Moderator: Dave Mudgett

Kurt Schoen

Schoen Turbo Steels now available

Post by Kurt Schoen »

Hi -

I am brand new to this forum, though I have read the info here off and on for a few years in its various iterations. I make resonator guitars of my own design, and have developed a good following for them. I have now developed a lap steel version, which I present formally here for the first time. My first two customers were Arthur Herrmann and Ben Bonham, both of whom I know are familiar in these parts.

I have developed the Turbo Steel to take advantage of my 17.5 cm cone and soundwell, to create an instrument that marries the compact and sturdy aspects of a lap steel with the resonant acoustic qualities of a resonator guitar. The simple exterior lines recall electric lap steels, and sit conveniently on the lap. The orientation of the exterior panels, sound ports and interior baffles are designed to eliminate standing waves and fully develop the acoustic tone.

Various pickups, from the acoustic B-Band, to custom units made by Jason Lollar, may be employed to broaden the capabilities of the instrument.

One unique feature of the instrument is my use of primarily recycled woods for the box of the instrument. The sides are built from reclaimed fine grained douglas fir, and the tops and backs built from off-cuts from a cabinet manufacturer, which I veneer in various beautiful woods. I make a version that is made with a simple paint finish as well.

Depending on the finish level, metalwork, and electronics, the instruments cost between $1800 and $3000. I offer form-fitting flight-grade custom hard cases for the instrument as well.

Pictures of the Turbo Steel are available on my website, www.schoenguitars.com

Thank you,

Kurt Schoen

[/url]
Kurt Schoen

Pics of the Turbo Steel

Post by Kurt Schoen »

Here are a couple pics - These of Ben Bonham with his 8-string Turbo Steel with a Lollar Chicago pickup. More are available on the Turbo Steel page of the website www.schoenguitars.com

Image[/url]
Tony Dingus

Post by Tony Dingus »

Welcome to the forum and those are some nice looking instruments.

Tony