''Steel Guitar and Martial Arts ''

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Ben Godard

Post by Ben Godard »

I took a Goju style karate from 87 to 94 in Greenville NC and participated in a few tournaments in the Carolinas. My favorite one was the The Battle of the Carolinas in New Bern NC which they no longer have now. To me, that was the best tournament to go to to see some action. I never did go to the Battle of Atlanta even though I wanted to. Even though my whole life was martial arts back then, somehow I gradually got out of the martial arts. I guess a lot because it's become so watered down nowdays due to insurance policies and parents who are scared to see ,there children go through any "real training".
Anyway playing guitar is now my hobby. I do still miss martial arts however but it's just not the same today as it use to be..
Gary Preston

Post by Gary Preston »

:eek: Dustin Tracy hasn't had his eyes opened yet . He thinks that everyone will lay down and let him crank on their arm or leg and that simply doesn't happen in real life ! I asked him what would happen if he was attacked in an evevator and i really didn't get a good answer ! I really like ''Mixed Martial Arts '' as that is what i have done in my martial arts style ! Bruce Lee took the best of many styles and made a very interesting style for himself and everyone knows the style . Bill Wallace was a Shorin-Ryu stylist and he became the world champion in Kickboxing . I have already stated that it isn't the style that makes the player but the player that makes the style ! It's good to know some of the best techniques from many styles and that will make you a better player ! The arts sometimes are refered to as a '' Martial Science '' . So you see it takes a lot of research sometime to get where you want to be . Sorry for being so long winded ! G.P.
Gary Preston

Post by Gary Preston »

:) Ben you already know you get out of it what you are willing to put into it as is with anything in life ! We trained with only '' Ski-Gloves '' full contact and you know there isn't much padding in those . So you see we didn't water anything down very much huh ? At the time when i was most active i was doing a heavy weight fighter training and i was around 165-170 . I always did harder training than i should have i suppose ! Whatever kick i was doing on the heavy bag i did ''100'' times with each leg . My training partner which was 6'4'' didn't have the patience to do that . His kicks were ugly but they still hurt ! I am only 5'9'' tall and he had a big advantage on me until i got inside . We would fight for maybe and hour full contact with ski-gloves and 16 ounce boxing gloves so you see we didn't slack very much at all . I hope this helps . G.P.
Dustin Rigsby

Post by Dustin Rigsby »

I am just messing with you Gary :lol:
Gary Preston

Post by Gary Preston »

:lol: Yes Dustin i know but the answer is still the same ! G.P.