N. Calif Steel Jam Nov.12th - Please read

Upcoming steel guitar shows, concerts, jam sessions, club dates, etc.

Moderator: Dave Mudgett

Richard Sinkler

N. Calif Steel Jam Nov.12th - Please read

Post by Richard Sinkler »

There seems to be some good interest in this upcoming jam. I would like to know who is coming for sure. Please email me at sinkler@ix.netcom.com or post here if your are coming.

The reason I need to know is I have to figure out how to set up the room so every one can benefit the most. And, the most important, I need to know how many refreshments to bring.

Maybe I'll bring my (actually my wife's) video camera. That way I won't have to play so much. Everyone knows that I am the worst steel player in the world (yeah Lewllyn, that's right!).

For out of towners that may need motel rooms, Fremont is part of the good old silicon valley so it is very hard to find rooms. You may have to try as far north as Hayward (probably 10 miles) or east to Pleasanton / Livermore area (15 - 20 miles).

For details and directions, visit www.sinkler.com . Maybe by this weekend I can post some motel info.
------------------
Carter D10 8p/10k
Richard Sinkler BS, www.sinkler.com

<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Richard Sinkler on 01 November 2000 at 07:04 AM.]</p></FONT>
Bobby Lee
Site Admin

Post by Bobby Lee »

I'll be there.
Bo

Post by Bo »

Richard, maybe your wife can record the jam and you can still play. Is she a good photographer? Maybe she can audio record the jam, too so we can hear some of it on the forum.
Skip Cons - II

Post by Skip Cons - II »

I'd like to come: I'm learning, not playing yet.
I am also an amateur videographer and recording engineer.
I'd like to bring a semi-pro camera and a few DAT's.

------------------
Skip Cons
Carter D-10: 10 + 5
"Would I rather be sailin'?"
Richard Sinkler

Sorry, my wife wouldn't come within a hundred miles of a bunch of crazy steel players.

------------------
Carter D10 8p/10k

Bo

Post by Bo »

Maybe if you taught her steel she would come within a mile of everybody... Image I posted earlier asking about the wives behind musicians and got some interesting responses. What does your wife do in her spare time?<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Bo on 31 October 2000 at 08:11 PM.]</p></FONT>
Frank Carter

Post by Frank Carter »

I'll be there!!
Marc Friedland

Post by Marc Friedland »

Hi Richard,
I'm still planning on making it. I'll be tired, but I'll be there. My wife Lorilee totally supports my musical life and habits. She was the one that had the idea of me buying a psg about 7 years ago to learn to play. One of her favorite jokes is:
Q. How do you get two pedal steel guitar players to play at the same time and be in tune with each other?
A. Kill one of them.
Looking forward to seeing you there.
-- Marc
Mike Perlowin

Post by Mike Perlowin »

I'm planning on coming, but I might not be able to make it. I won't know for sure for another week. <FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Mike Perlowin on 01 November 2000 at 06:52 AM.]</p></FONT>
Rick Barber

Post by Rick Barber »

Hi Richard,

My brother and I had already purchased plane tickets to go see the NHRA Drags in Pomona on that whole weekend believe it or not. You know I'm usually a regualar because I really enjoy it and like hearing you guys play. I'll definitely try to make it to the one after this.

Talk Later,
Rick Barber
David Biagini

Post by David Biagini »

Hello Richard. I should be able to make it to this one.
Mike Perlowin

Post by Mike Perlowin »

I'm not sure these jams should be recorded. One of the nice things about the one I attended here in Southern CA last January was the informality and total lack of pressure. I think that if the event was recorded people would feel different, and the vibe of comraderie would be somewhat lost.

One of the factors to the good vibes at the jam was the band in a box rhythm, tracks. They just stopped at some popint, leaving the steeler hanging with no backup. Whenever it happened everybody laughed.

More than the music, the atmosphere at the jam was wonderful. A weekend of a bunch of players just getting together to have fun.

I think the presence of recording equipment might change that atmosphere.
Richard Sinkler

My wife has absolutely no interest is steel what-so-ever.

I have no interest in making this a commercial venture by filming the jam. I was just making a joke about me not having to play in front of the monster players that will be there. Picture taking will be permitted. Filming for personal use, maybe. Will have to ask all who attend if they mind. Mike had some good points about making some players uncomfortable by filming them.

Mike, Jim Baron is supplying the Band in a box setup for this jam, as he did the last one, and his system worked perfectly. I am really thankful to Jim for his assistance.
------------------
Carter D10 8p/10k

<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Richard Sinkler on 01 November 2000 at 07:08 AM.]</p></FONT>
Slim Lattimer

Post by Slim Lattimer »

I'll be there for sure.
Al Bates

Post by Al Bates »

I'm planning to be there...It's always fun to meet some new faces and pickers..I have shot some vidoes in some of the past jams..Some of the pickers wanted a copy was all...When it's your turn after hearing some of the best pickers around doing thier thing U can't get more nervous..
Bill Llewellyn

Post by Bill Llewellyn »

Richard, I plan on being there. And I still be da woist playur. Image

I'll see if I can bring a digital camera again and afterwards post another steeljam photo page. For those who haven't see the last one, here it is:

www.rahul.net/thinker/steeljam-09-30-00

------------------
<font size=-1>Bill (steel player impersonator) | MSA Classic U12 | Email | My online music | Forum birthdays</font><FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Bill Llewellyn on 02 November 2000 at 05:49 PM.]</p></FONT>
Bill Llewellyn

Post by Bill Llewellyn »

Richard, do you need for me to bring any supporting sound gear for the backup tracks such as a stereo receiver, speakers, CD/cassette player, or anything like that?
David Wright

Post by David Wright »

I am planning on being there also,

------------------
http://www.driveway.com/bin/share.jsp?sid=801d5dd6.4caf6

<A HREF="http://communities.msn.com/steelman/homepage
" TARGET=_blank>http://communities.msn.com/steelman/homepage
</A>
Sierra S-12 9&7

Richard Sinkler

Bill, maybe just your receiver. I have a couple of stereo speakers that I will bring.

------------------
Carter D10 8p/10k

Bill Llewellyn

Post by Bill Llewellyn »

Richard, I'll also try and bring a couple borrowed Boston CR9 speakers. They're really great sounding and pack a real punch if needed. I guess b0b will bring a laptop and BIAB?

"Richard Sinkler BS"? Does that mean Bachelor of Steel? Image

Hey David, I'm glad to hear you'll be there. I've got some questions for you. (And maybe we can figure out what's broken in our email hookup...)

------------------
<font size=-1>Bill (steel player impersonator) | MSA Classic U12 | Email | My online music | Forum birthdays</font>
Richard Sinkler

No Bill, it stands for bull sh_t_er. Of course, if I keep playing, my wife might leave me and I will become a bachelor BECAUSE of the steel. Image

------------------
Carter D10 8p/10k

Bobby Lee
Site Admin

Post by Bobby Lee »

Do I need to bring my laptop (computer, that is)?
Richard Sinkler

Actually, Jim Baron is bringing his laptop with his band in a box setup.

------------------
Carter D10 8p/10k

Bobby Lee
Site Admin

Post by Bobby Lee »

Very cool! He has a great selection of tunes.
David Wright

Post by David Wright »

Hi Bill see you there...............