Questions from a newbie

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

James Bender Jr

Questions from a newbie

Post by James Bender Jr »

Hey all, I have been on here about a month and figured that I would finally post my first question.
I have been looking into playing the steel now for a little while but cant decide what route I want to go. I don't know if I want to buy a lap steel or a pedal steel.

I live in Cincinnati and as far as I know there isn't really any steel teachers around here to help me learn, so I guess I will be learning from books, cds and dvds. I see a lot of stuff like that for the pedal but not the regular lap steel.

I guess my real question is, which do you all think will be easer to pick up and learn without a teacher to help me along? (I understand that neither will be easy) I have never really played guitar except a few chords just messing around. I am one of those "non musician" musicians that everyone likes to call a drummer:), so I will be starting from scratch for a stringed instrument.
Sorry for the long long post, and any help or input will be greatly appreciated!
Thanks,
Jamie
Michael Douchette

Post by Michael Douchette »

One of the greatest steel pickers, Chuck Rich, is in Cincy. I haven't seen him in years, but try to look him up.
Mikey D... H.S.P.
Music hath the charm to soothe a savage beast, but I'd try a 10mm first.

http://www.steelharp.com
http://www.thesessionplayers.com/douchette.html

(other things you can ask about here)
http://s117.photobucket.com/albums/o54/Steelharp/
Sonny Priddy

steel

Post by Sonny Priddy »

Also Ron Page Lives There. SONNY.
Charles Davidson

Post by Charles Davidson »

What's a drummer[A GUY THAT HANGS OUT WITH MUSICIANS]Just KIDDING James,just KIDDING,If you want to learn to play steel you are at the right place,It seems that steel players are more willing to share their knowledge and help newbies than any other group of musicians I know.The learning experience can be so exciting and fulfilling,I can remember about ten when I got my first guitar,bleeding fingers and all,each new chord or little SIMPLE lick I learned just thrilled me,and made me want more,If you have the want to and the tenacity to stay with it,you WILL learn to play the steel guitar,good luck and happy picking.
Hard headed, opinionated old geezer. BAMA CHARLIE. GOD BLESS AMERICA. ANIMAL RIGHTS ACTIVIST. SUPPORT LIVE MUSIC !
Rick Alexander

Post by Rick Alexander »

Hi Jamie,
b0b has a number of non-pedal tutorials available right here on the forum.
Tamara James

Post by Tamara James »

AS a new to pedal steel person myself, just 3 months now, I would recommend a teacher if at all possible. I began with drums, went to piano, then mountain dulcimer, and now pedal steel guitar. The folks here are some of the greatest. The rhythms will come easy for you, as they do me. Don't be in a hurry to decied. Try different instruments. Some places may let you rent for a month. Look at different books to learn by. There are so many. You will need a book. They are a great reference tool in your future. Take it one day at a time. What a sweet ride you are about to begin. Best wishes on your journey.
Brian McGaughey

Post by Brian McGaughey »

Hey James,

I too am a drummer gone steeler. I couldn't find anyone to instruct me here in Seattle but I have befriended several local steelers who have been kind enough to set down with me a time or two.

It was recommended to me to start on lap steel so as to really concentrate on right hand technique, but lap wasn't the sound that drew me in and I stayed with pedal. Seems to me the string spacing is different enough that learning on one and then starting the other (which ever order) would require some work as to retrain the muscle memory for the different spacings.

Good luck, stay after it, get in at least an hour every day, listen to a ton of steel music and before you know it you be somewhere. I get a smile on my face everytime I practice.

And if you've got some band mates for whom you drum, hopefully you can get out and perform with them. I've been fortunate enough after playing less than a year to gig 5 times this last summer on steel with them using a fill-in drummer.
Robert Harper

Learnin to play

Post by Robert Harper »

Find some one to sit in with. Tell them you don't know squat, but you want to sit and learn the hear whts going on musically. Don't let them discorage you like some of them did me because I was a way younger them them and did not know every country music ever written and recorded. Remeber if they were so much greater than you why are they not in recording sessions. Buy a book with the songs you like and a couple od CDs try to play those songs from the music play the darned songs until you now hate them now do it some more and keep playing it until you can't stand it and buy another book and anothe CD remeber the fourth string is just like the fouth string on a guitar. Keep playing asking the people here and close to you all the questions listen to music and play some more. One day you will be able to play something Play that and disect the song build on that play and listen some more. When you get discourged play and listen some more
James Bender Jr

Thanks everyone for your input! Its great to know that everyone on here is so willing to help steer me in the right direction! I will be sure to look into all of the books, cds and dvds.
I have been leaning towards the pedal steel but haven't made a decision yet. I have seen the carter starter steel and it looks like it would be a pretty good instrument to start on. Is that a pretty good one to start with?
Thanks,
Jamie
Mark Eaton
Location: Sonoma County in The Great State Of Northern California

Post by Mark Eaton »

The Carter Starter is a good value, and you would be fine on that - but I'm going to give you the classic advice: buy the best instrument you can afford.

You need to let us know what you have budgeted.

As far as lap steel/non-pedal: it is enjoying its greatest popularity in decades, and is beautiful instrument.

Tell us the types of music you enjoy.
Mark
A. J. Schobert

Post by A. J. Schobert »

Hey James email me, I think I can help you along, or wrong! (kidding)

Chuck Rich plays for bobby mackey, I know Kenny Holycross, last I heard he plays at the cheyanne cattle co.

I have been playing for along time and I have to travel for lessons, I go to Billy Coopers in VA.

I play a Carter D10 that is second to none, and an old sho-bud.

There is alot you should know about before you buy something, I can give you my 2 cents!

Also as you know in cincy all we like is Octoberfest and skyline chilli! Steel is not one of them!
James Bender Jr

I mostly listen to and play country music. I like the older classic country as well as some of the newer stuff. Bluegrass is pretty new to me right now, but I really like it so far.

As far as a budget, I was thinking to spend around $1000-$1200 bucks or so. I would like to try to find a used steel and then get a good volume pedal and a good amp new or used if possible. I think if I do it that way, I can always upgrade to a better steel later.
A. J. Schobert

Post by A. J. Schobert »

James we got to get in touch. I can help you, if you want you can try out my Carter.

Be carefull about buying sightunseen! there has been some guys burned on this forum by doing so. When you buy sightunseen you get just that!

I will try to get ahold of you and we can go from there.

I have an old goodrich volume pedal you can have!

AJ.
Jennings Ward

Post by Jennings Ward »

WELCOME TO OUR WORLD..
YOU ARE IN FOR A GREAT AND SATISFYING LEARNING EXPERIENCE.......TO START OUT, YOU NEED A SOLID FOUNDATION IN THE " BASICS ".
MY FRIEND RICK ALEXANDER, A MEMBER OF THIS FORUM, HAS PUT TOGEATHER A GREAT DVD, THAT IS ONE OF THE BEST LEARNING TOOLS FOR THE BEGINER THAT I HAVE EVER COME ACROSS...HE SHOWS HOW TO USE THE BAR, PICKS, BLOCKING, TUNING, GRIPS, HARMONY, AND A LOT OF OUTHER BASIC AS WELL AS INTERMEDIATE THINGS YOU SHOULD KNOW TO GET OFF ON THE RIGHT PATH.... AND HE DONT TRY TO SNOW YOU WITH BIG WORDS, EITHER.......
HIS PRICE IS REASONABLE ALSO.. ONLY $ 20.00 FOR THE DVD.... I CONSIDER IT A STEAL, BY COMPAIRSON TO SOME MAATERIAL I HAVE BAUGHT AND SEEN... ANY WAY , I WISH YOU ALL THE BEST , AND GOOD LUCK..
JENNINGS

Colin Mclean

Post by Colin Mclean »

I thought about the same thing before I started a few months ago. I went to a local store and tried out a Carter-Starter and thought, "I can do this". So I bought it, and haven't looked back.

So far it's been going good, and I haven't even found a teacher yet. I have played regular 6-string guitar for years though, so I already speak and understand the language of music pretty well.

They are two different instruments as I understand, so whichever you would prefer to end up playing is the one you should start with IMO. Good luck James.
Andy Sandoval

Post by Andy Sandoval »

James, here's a good place to start. Lots of great info and encouragement from a great teacher and player. Click Here
Cept, try and find one with a CD and not the floppy record.
Ron Page

Post by Ron Page »

Welcome Jamie. Nice to see another "local" here.

I'm an amatuer that never played anything -- still don't :D -- before taking up the steel. I'm in West Chester. There's no shortage of learning materials out there (and I've got a ton of it), but it would be great if you could also get with a local pro for some lessons.

You've been given the two names I think of. I actually took a couple lessons from Kenny when I started plucking on this thing. He's quite busy but can show you a lot in a short time. Chuck Rich has retired from his day job. I'm not sure if he's teaching steel these days or not, but you couldn't go wrong knowing a fraction of what Chuck knows. Kenny's in Franklin, OH and I believe Chuck lives in Northern KY. Wayne Hobbs is another local pro you might want to contact.

You should go to Chubby Howard's show this Sunday at the Fairborn Eagles Club. Some or all of those players will be there; check the Announcements board of the forum.

A.J., I have to admire your optimism for the men in orange and black. My daughter is headed to the game tonight and we're hoping for a BIG upset.
HagFan
Emmons Lashley LeGrande II
A. J. Schobert

Post by A. J. Schobert »

I hope I didn't jinx them under my heading.

WHO DEY
James Bender Jr

Hey thanks again everyone. I think I am going up to Chubby Howard's show this Sunday to hang out and try to learn a few things. Hopefully I will get to meet some of you all! I will hopefully have a good idea of what I want to buy after this upcoming weekend as well. The books, dvds and cds will be a good place for me to start. I probably wont try to get a hold of any of the local pros until I have my steel and everything though.
Thanks,
Jamie
Oh yeah... WHO DEY!
Rick Alexander

Post by Rick Alexander »

AND HE DONT TRY TO SNOW YOU WITH BIG WORDS, EITHER.......
Thank you - that's very supercalifragilisticexpialidocious of you to say that Jennings!
Stan Paxton
Location: 1/2 & 1/2 Florida and Tenn, USA (old Missouri boy gone South)

Post by Stan Paxton »

James, welcome to the wackie world of steel guitar, we all love it :!: You mentioned indecision about whether to go lap or pedal. My advise would be to listen to and watch both kinds. Rick Alexander is one I would suggest you watch & hear play on his videos, for the lap or non-pedal style. He is amazing with bar slants both directions to get stuff some pedalers can't even find. Of course, there's the old masters like Jerry Byrd. Then on the other side are all the wonderful master psg players; so whichever way you decide, you can make beautiful music....& you better pay attention to what Possum Jennings says :lol:
Mullen Lacquer SD 10, 3 & 5; Mullen Mica S 10 1/2 pad, 3 & 5; BJS Bars; LTD400, Nashville 112, DD-3, RV-3, Hilton VP . -- Gold Tone PBS sq neck; Wechter Scheerhorn sq neck. -- "Experience is the thing you have left when everything else is gone." -anon.-
Michael Douchette

Post by Michael Douchette »

Jennings Ward wrote:AND HE DONT TRY TO SNOW YOU WITH BIG WORDS, EITHER...
You mean like refrigerator and mayonnaise? :lol:
Mikey D... H.S.P.
Music hath the charm to soothe a savage beast, but I'd try a 10mm first.

http://www.steelharp.com
http://www.thesessionplayers.com/douchette.html

(other things you can ask about here)
http://s117.photobucket.com/albums/o54/Steelharp/
Ernest Cawby

hi

Post by Ernest Cawby »

If you like Hank Williams Don has a course that I like very much, it is simple and well thought out. It should be ole Scottie did it.

ernie
Jim Whitaker

Post by Jim Whitaker »

You can also email me. I have been playing around town for 35 years & know just about everybody. I have some friends that might help & I would be glad to help all I can

Jim Whitaker
Jim Whitaker

Post by Jim Whitaker »

Chubbys steel show is a great idea if you can make it.

AJ You jinxed us!!!