Weissinborn look a like ?

Lap steels, resonators, multi-neck consoles and acoustic steel guitars

Moderator: Brad Bechtel

William Griffith

Weissinborn look a like ?

Post by William Griffith »

Hello, Theres a web site that has these for sale, was wondering if anyone has any experiance with them. I don't know how to put the web site here but you google 2kool4skool.com and click on Musical instruments 2kool4skool then on the left side of page skroll down to instruments then skroll down on left side of page to folk instruments steel guitar. I tried to make this as compicated as I could, sorry. Thanks Bill
John Bushouse

Post by John Bushouse »

Hmmm..... for $349 for the solid mahogany one, it's worth a try. "Was $1,399!" - hard to swallow that one.

I have no experience with them at all. But it's as cheap as the new Hound Dog.

Here's the link.
Last edited by John Bushouse on 25 Sep 2007 11:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tom Pettingill

Post by Tom Pettingill »

AJ Azure

Post by AJ Azure »

notice the wooden nut? that would have to go first.
Brad Bechtel

Post by Brad Bechtel »

These Vineyard WSB guitars are offered frequently on eBay for around the same price.
Here's a discussion from the IGS web site: http://www.guitarseminars.com/ubb/Forum ... 15879.html
Brad’s Page of Steel
A web site devoted to acoustic & electric lap steel guitars
Keith Wells

Post by Keith Wells »

I've looked at this site (2Kool4Skool) before, and found their nomenclature to be confusing.

It seems like somebody in the business of selling steel guitars would be a little more careful about that.

I guess "Lap Steel Slide Guitar" isn't too bad, and when they say "solid Mahogany," I assume they mean not laminated, since that particular guitar is obviously a hollow body, but "LAP STEEL GUITAR-Electric 6 string Pedal-slide BLACK" ?? Isn't that just plain wrong? I mean where does the Pedal part come in? :?:

I have no experience iwth their guitars, but I'm certainly not impressed with their web site.
-- Keith
Chris Drew

Post by Chris Drew »

William, I have one of those Vineyard Weissenborn copies, the cheaper laminated one.
Here it is:

I can honestly say that it's worth more than I paid ( $250 from ebay user: 6686mike )

He shipped it to the UK cheap, very well packaged and no problem at all.

I just wanted a really cheap Weiss-style guitar, to "try out" and a year on I'm hooked!

I made a brass nut to replace the naff wooden one, and brass saddle, which sounds better.
Also I changed the tuners ( the originals are nasty ) for some Kluson-style.
The mods cost hardly anything, brass is cheap!
I can send you a brass saddle piece if you like, I made a bunch while I was at it.
I'm using Newtone "Aloha" strings on this, tuned to openD.
On a cosmetic note, I gave the matt finish a buff with some rubbing compound (T-Cut), looks kinda vintagey!

Sure it's a "cheapo", don't expect the tone to rival that of a "proper" guitar.
But, having said that, all my friends who have heard this cheap laminate Weiss have been blown away! All are music-lovers, many are musicians, all are impressed and describe it's sound as "beautiful"(!)
Stuff like that reminds you how subjective "tone" is.
Obviously to a trained ear the difference compared to a more expensive guitar is plain to hear.

Anyway, I'd say it's cheapness hasn't held back my learning or inspiration at all.
When I think I'm good enough to warrant ( & can afford! ) a better guitar I'll keep the Vineyard as a "no-worries" beater, for outdoors, busking etc...
William Griffith

Weissenborn

Hello, Thanks very much for your replys. It would be great to have one of the top brands but to spend that kinda money for something Im not sure I'll like, its like pedal steel should a beginner start with a starter guitar or pro model. I really like the sound you folks get out of them. Thanks Bill
William Griffith

Weissenborn

Hello, Chris Drew if you read this would you please contact me a rock1946@netzero.com in regard to your brass nut. Thanks Bill